Kitten chewing on electric cords..

amby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

My kitten is 4 months old, almost 5 now. Ever since she has been teething she has been really bad with chewing electric cords and wires... She has destroyed many many things like my laptop charger, cellphone charger, HDMI cable, headphones, you name it !!

Now, I figure she is chewing because she is teething and she's still a baby... But I am concerned that she might hurt herself by chewing and how could I prevent her from continuing? 

Every time I catch her doing it, I spray her with a water bottle. I bought a Bitter Apple spray that was recommended to me by a sales person at the pet store... Sprayed it around and on wires where she chews, but she still goes! Nothing is stopping her so far... I play with her every day and she has many many toys.

Will she ever grow out of this habit? :(  It's costing me a lot of money to replace all the damaged wires and I don't wan't her to get electrocuted !!!

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good news--she'll grow out of it.  It's a stage....

Here is a thread that may help you.  Double sided tape and tubes that you can put the wires in help.  I've used large pillows to block off access to the cords behind the tv, but luckily Ritz was never a chewer.

There are also dental toys/treats that you can buy.