Kitten care and situation

shhann77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I go to a vet and it's a good vet. Recently someone there took in some kittens. They've been in a cage for weeks now. At first I said I'd love to play with them and cuddle them and one vet tech said she'd bring them to me. I don't know why she was like messing with my head. Then she said she has to ask the vet then said I can come to the office to play with them because they were property of the clinic.

I sort of wanted to foster them but didn't ask. I went the next week to find out they gave one kitten to a person who wanted it. Then days later I find out one of the kittens the smallest one almost died. I was so worried about them and said I wanted the smallest one but my place some of my cats have a uri right now so it's not possible. I told one vet tech that I wanted her tho several told me yes u can have her just ask the vet and she tried to mess with my head abt it. Then another one did too. I asked the vet and she said yes but I have a uri with my cats so not yet of course.

One girl kept saying she was going to take them in to cuddle them but never did. The next wk the first kitten they gave away came back sick not eating. They didn't seem to teach the owners how to feed kittens and they weren't feeding her just leaving food out then she died shortly after. Very sad. I don't get why they are so adamant abt me not having taking care of the kittens when they gave one away with no care.

I went to see them again and they were doing good but they're left alone most of the time. Really no one seems to care abt them the way they should. They're left in a cage alone with chemicals being sprayed all the time. No one is really cuddling them and I'd volunteer to take even for a day to a hotel just to give them some love and nurturing. Is there a reason these people don't want me to take care of the kittens or is this normal?

They're a busy vet clinic why wouldn't they want this off their hands?? It's not right it seems they don't care for the welfare of the kittens only seem to care to not let me have them for other reasons- denying me the opportunity to care for them. The uri thing now yes. Is a problem but before it wasn't. Some of the techs seem to be playing head games or are. Now the tiny one almost died again and I knew she wouldn't do well because of all the chaos and mess going on.
I'm panicked and know I can give them love and attention and keep them alive and happy yet a clinic would want to keep them there suffering not happy and almost dying??

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How many kittens are there and how old are they?

What is your relationship to this vet's office?

Are your cats patients of this vet? Were they treated for their URI at this vet's office?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shhann77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats go to this clinic and a stray was just treated by them for a week. She's probably the reason my cats have a uri cuz they've never had one in their lives. The relationship is good it's just that some people sometimes just want to mess with me maybe and it seems this might be what's going on. I don't want the cat because of my cats Uris right now but it seems the tech was also messing with my head two were. There's also another kitten there older one the vet wanted me to take and she said why not him?

My cats didn't have the Uris until a week or so ago.

It could be diff reasons. I don't get why they think those kittens are under better care by them when they negligently gave one away with no instructions to someone that didn't care if it was eating or not and yet are acting weird about me when I'd give them superior care. It's negligent of them to give it away so young anyway and not even tell the people how to care for it. Two of my cats r under treatment for the uri and went to them

It frustrates me that no one wants to take the cats in even for a few days. They seemed to not want me to take them and one already died and another almost did and they def don't care abt them the way I do. I'm freaking out rushing to the office to make sure they're ok trying to give them love and care. They're just doing a duty which they seem to be annoyed doing

Last edited:

sparkymema

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Being completely honest I've worked at a few vet clinics that took kittens and cats in, the majority of them take worse care of them than they would at a regular shelter. The cages are always small, not enough litter, and the people taking care of them are normally shady. I'd see if they have any relationship with any other shelters in the area, and talk to them about it. Even if they adopt them out or if they foster them, they normally always will send you to the shelter first. Just some vet clinics take great care of them and some don't. Also sometimes those places will let whoever has been a foster parent the longest or has volunteered there the longest get first dibs. 

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How old are the kittens?

Have you outright asked if you could foster the litter for them? Not just the runt but the entire litter?

shhann77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sparkymema
That's what I'm scared about :( there isn't enough litter and you're right the people are always shady. I just feel a duty to care for them and really care to make sure they get a lot of love and are comfortable and happy even for a week if it has to be. They're not my cats but still I feel they're sort of trying to keep me from taking them. I don't think they're being taken care of the way they should and I don't trust the kitties with them esp for the little one. It's not that they're bad they just have other responsibilities.

Sarthur I did sort of ask the vet but at the time my cats had just gotten Uris and it's not possible right now but I guess it's also how they're acting about it like even before the Uris and the fact that one tech kept telling me she'd take them with her but never did and she said it again with the little one almost to mess with my head because I decided I wanted her and told one tech who tried to be discouraging then I believe she told this tech who tried to say shed
Take her home. Why. To mess with me knowing I wanted her and it did mess with me she never took her and then I had the uri thing and no one has nurtured these kitties and they're just miserable in a cage

Also it's weird they were doing much better and much healthier when they were first brought in now they look like a wreck and traumatized and not happy. It's so frustrating

The vet tech messing with my head was weird. She texted me out of the blue the night I told the other tech I wanted the small
Kitty that almost died. Her text was that she was taking the kitty home with her. This was before the uri situation and the other tech must have texted and told her that day what happened because she wasn't there and she also knew I went to visit that day. So she purposely then said she was taking the kitty home the one I wanted and I was scared she'd keep her because she takes in a lot of animals. Then days later I found out she didn't take her In. It's just all really weird and I only hope the baby one survives. They're also or can be kind of rough with the kittens and the techs all have long manicured nails which confuses te heck out of me

Last edited:

sparkymema

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Their play time at most places like that really only happens when they get a quick litter scooping and sterilizing of their cages. The place I was at it only took the girl about 20sec to do each cage so the whole lot only took 2mins or less depending on how many there are. So really they most likely are only getting less than a few minutes to play,stretch, and socialize each day. I know some places even try to keep those kittens and cats so in case a vet does something wrong and kills the cat they can give their fake sorry and offer them a new cat. I've seen it happen a lot, where they show the kittens and cats as being up for adoption then tell people we book visits etc... Then the person calls back the cat or kitten is gone. It might just be bad employees or bad management. I would ask to talk to the head vet or someone of power at the vet clinic and see what it is. If they are kind of you know we can assure you we are doing everything correctly..... I would just report them if  their facility has a match with any of this https://www.petfinder.com/pet-adoption/pet-adoption-information/complain-local-animal-shelter/

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If your sick cats are on antibiotics for the URI they should no longer be contagious.

I suggest you ask the actual vet who owns the practice if you may take the kittens home. If he/she says yes, ask that it be made clear to the techs, then take the kittens home. You also might want to consider changing vets.

HOW OLD ARE THE KITTENS?

shhann77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes that's true. You can tell those kittens aren't socialized or being loved or nurtured and they're frustrated and sad. You can tell theyre not really being played with as much and being a bit neglected. Not that they are not caring, it's just hard to describe. Even when they are someone is handling them in a Semi rough way as opposed to someone like me who's gentle and kind. And it's that maybe they don't have time and are busy which is why they need someone who can take care of them. It seems they were trying to act as if my cats weren't vaccinated- that was the feeling I got sort of trying to pin something on me. Had nothing to do with the Uris was before that. Also I went in last week to play with them I was late and they were almost closing my fault and the tech who told me to come in but one tech sat there trying to hog them. Rather than let me play she played with them to stop me from doing it then in the end one abruptly grabbed them and put them In the cage. The little one was traumatized u could tell and I knew she wouldn't do well over the weekend. Then I hear today she wasn't doing well again. I just need to make sure my cats are ok enough that their uri is under control and I can't bring her in yet otherwise she'd die if she contracted it.

Sarthur- that's what I thought. That if they're on meds they should be ok though most Uris are viral and the antibiotics can't control that so maybe they are still contagious? If a tiny kitten under eight weeks gets a uri they will most likely die. I probably have to wait for the kitty to come or can put her in an isolated large bathroom away from everyone. Id rather wait but hope she's doing ok and will be ok until then.

They're a month old and there are 3 of them. Maybe 5 weeks now.

Last edited:

shhann77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
no, im in my 30's...why?

shhann77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wasn't sure if clinics were possessive about animals in that way, or biased but im sure places are biased and for all kinds of reasons. My intent was to make sure the kittens got a lot of love care and nurturing ,and were fed properly, taken care of, even for a week or so, so they could get some kind of caring/love rather than being stuck in a cage all day. The chemicals they spray all the time are a problem too.
I wasn't sure if the clinic was being neglectful but now after reading what sparkymema has to say, I think they are, and its just sad not something you want to witness or believe. Plus the shady type people that work there, all the drama and nonsense. why not give them to someone who will care for them temporarily? They seem to act as if leaving them in a dirty cage, yes full of litter everywhere, food, and no real love or attention is better for them. And then they gave one away to someone who had no idea on how to feed it and it ended up dying--shows neglect on their part. And when the cats got there, they were pretty healthy and seemed to be doing well- yes being in a new situation can create a lot of trauma and fear, but that's why they need more nurturing and caring..

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I thought if you were a minor that might be why they would not give you a kitten.

It sounds like there is a great deal of miscommunication going on regardless. With your cats being sick and their questions about whether your cats are vaccinated, it does not sound likely that you will be allowed to bring the kittens home anytime soon.

It does sound as though the kittens could use some TLC. Hopefully your future on-time visits will go a little better than the last one so that you can spend quality time interacting with the kittens.

sparkymema

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The other thing that factors in when you are taking care of animals for a shelter is if you are renting or not. I'd go in there each day and take a picture, maybe once in the morning and once before they close. Keep notes of what you see and find. Then turn it into a the local business thing like my link suggested. 

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to think through your approach before you go to the vet.  If you sound accusatory and complain about their care of the kittens they are not going to let you help them.  You need to tell all the ways you can help the kittens, maybe start with, I know how busy you are here helping patients. . .

Last edited:

shhann77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
 well, the reason i cant now is the uri situation- which is understandable- i dont want to bring home a kitten to that- but my cats are yes overdue by a year for their vaccines- which is ok because not everyone vaccinates their cats every single year- i never have. I took in a stray which is why my cats got the uri- and got him all his vaccines except the fvrcp which was weird. I dont think they are going to not let me take the cat home- we're just waiting until my cats are ok- but i still feel their attitude about it is shady in a way. 

they had no problem letting me take home the other cat they wanted adopted, who was a kitten too- so i dont think that's the case, 

the vet from the start asked me if i wanted the other kitty- i wasn't sure at the time and thinking about it. Then she asked me again why i wanted the other kitten over this one.

sparkymema- do you think that there is some kind of violation going on? I dont see where there is, except maybe some minor neglect of the kittens- but i assumed that would be normal maybe?

they do take on a lot of stray animals- i mean they are a caring clinic I think. They've prevented animals from being euthanized etc, and the vet seems to care as well. They just don't seem

to be caring much for the kittens and it seems to be the techs and b/c people are busy, like you said at lots of clinics

I did notice yes the cage was very dirty usually, and the water is dirty, and other things. 

Last edited:

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you think your cat picked up the URI at the clinic, then the kittens are at risk there as well.  You would just need to keep them apart for a week or two, which is recommended anyways.

shhann77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think theres a chance it did at the clinic- its hard to tell. But its either the stray cat- however, hes been with us for a few months- in and out of the house. So it's most likely at that clinic or some clinic I took the stray cat to.
He looks like he had an owner or lost his way or got abandoned. I need to get him his other vaccine and shouldnt have let him indoors....its all kind of a frustrating mess for some reason

sparkymema

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You maybe could fix the issue sooner. A lot of vets let you post date a check or write two or three post dated ones so you can get them treated faster

shhann77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
 get who treated? im upset that these kitties have been locked up in this cage for weeks--that's normal I assume..for clinics who keep kittens to keep them in a small cage for months?

also everytime i call the office to ask a question- one vet tech, the one who initially i was chatting with, keeps hanging up on me--like she cuts me off and hangs up the phone--i dont know if she's crazy

or if somethings wrong with her but it's frustrating- people out there are just nuts- maybe that's why she initially said she'd bring the kittens to me then changed her mind- its hard dealing with

crazy people. Also she was texting me for weeks- esp when i went to california for a 4 day trip she was almsot wanting to text me al lthe time but now she stopped- just weird people out there...

its time to find a new vet clinic--im just upset they are so possessive of these kittens like they want them locked up in cages for months rather than be taken by a caring loving person who will

give them some attention and love--its not right

and i cant say anything to said crazy vet tech b/c then what if they dont let me take the kitten--its like yes they have some kind of power in this, and i dont know what's wrong with

the psycho vet tech- she did this weeks ago as well- i called to ask a question and she acted nuts, talked over me or was really rude. Just has issues-tired of disturbed people in this world it seems...

the whole experience is frustrating...

Last edited: