Kids Roaming free?!?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ReesesPBC

You're not evil, I agree fully.

..and I'm not a Trekkie but isn't that maneuver called the Vulcan Neck Pinch or something?
I think so - but it doesn't make the child pass out the way it did when Spock used it on Star Trek. It gets their attention REALLY fast, though!

(I liked calling it "The Spock" too, because of Dr. Spock, the guy who used to write books on how to raise children.)

Don't MAKE me use "The Spock" on you!

Yes, I am TOO evil.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I think so - but it doesn't make the child pass out the way it did when Spock used it on Star Trek. It gets their attention REALLY fast, though!

(I liked calling it "The Spock" too, because of Dr. Spock, the guy who used to write books on how to raise children.)

Don't MAKE me use "The Spock" on you!

Yes, I am TOO evil.
The Spock sounds worse anyway. Behaving or you'll get a Spocking!

If the kid is smart they'd say "I'm sorry mom, but I don't see the logic"

*lol*

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tavia'smom

Where I work at we have people coming in with kids climbing on our machines and stuff and this is very expensive equipment and the parents never think to tell them to stop. And half the time it is the people out of our office. Too bad you can't spank the parents instead of the kids. I can't stand to see kids running wild in public.
That's just the thing...why is it ok to hit children and not adults..there are good reasons...I just don't get why they don't apply to children as well. *shrugs*

It makes you wish they'd make people take a test before they become parents.

Your 8 year old boy is running through Denny's without any pants on and screaming. Do you:

A) Go retrieve the child, put his pants back on, tell him to behave or he's going to face consequences.

B) Laugh at your son making the scene and say "*LOL* "Just like his father!"

C) Pray that he grows up to be an actor and get a part in Jackass the Movie 7, because he's sure as hell not going to Harvard at this rate.

or

D) Order another Grand Slam Breakfast, screw your diet, and get loaded on pancakes and sausage because lets face it, it's going to be a long 10 years until he can move out.
LOL now this made me laugh!

Originally Posted by LaRussa

I totally agree with you on this. I don't care how old this quote is, I still believe in it "children should be seen and not heard". The worst is when you sit in a restaurant or diner wanting to enjoy a meal being served to you and you wind up sitting near some brats whose parents could care less about it. I have been known to ask to be moved to another table, I don't need to hear screaming and kids running around, that's not my idea of an evening out, if the parents can't control their kids...STAY HOME!!!
I HATE that saying!!! My dad always used to say that....infact, I think he took it too far most times. I believe in democracy and my child gets a voice too
but I do think that children need to be respectful of the people around them.

I just find these "get our hate on for children" threads a bit much. Ok, so there not that bad, but man...I just love children when they are good or poorly behaved and it's hard for me to read that people have such disdain for children. I also think that we shouldn't generalize. There are some really well behaved children, but we just don't notice as much because they ARE being well behaved....I guess just for once I could see a thread about how surprised a person is about a well behaved child for once.

telynn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

It makes you wish they'd make people take a test before they become parents.

Your 8 year old boy is running through Denny's without any pants on and screaming. Do you:

A) Go retrieve the child, put his pants back on, tell him to behave or he's going to face consequences.

B) Laugh at your son making the scene and say "*LOL* "Just like his father!"

C) Pray that he grows up to be an actor and get a part in Jackass the Movie 7, because he's sure as hell not going to Harvard at this rate.

or

D) Order another Grand Slam Breakfast, screw your diet, and get loaded on pancakes and sausage because lets face it, it's going to be a long 10 years until he can move out.
Oh, definetly D!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by IloveSiamese

That's just the thing...why is it ok to hit children and not adults..there are good reasons...I just don't get why they don't apply to children as well. *shrugs*
Because most of us don't believe in smacking the child ourselves, but want the parent to do it, compared to wanting to smack the parent ourselves.

I HATE that saying!!! My dad always used to say that....infact, I think he took it too far most times. I believe in democracy and my child gets a voice too
but I do think that children need to be respectful of the people around them.

I just find these "get our hate on for children" threads a bit much. Ok, so there not that bad, but man...I just love children when they are good or poorly behaved and it's hard for me to read that people have such disdain for children. I also think that we shouldn't generalize. There are some really well behaved children, but we just don't notice as much because they ARE being well behaved....I guess just for once I could see a thread about how surprised a person is about a well behaved child for once.
People are never going to post about how well another kid behaved, not on a cat forum at least (although I remember several posts about Dan's Jasmine and how she is such a good baby). People come here to vent.

As far as stay at home, I agree. When we were kids, my mum got a sitter for us if they were going to a restaurant, and if we got to go somewhere with them, we were all on our best behaviour, held each others hands so no one got losts etc and she brought something to keep us amused.

IF your (and I say your meaning in general not you) child can not behave to the extent that they are ruining the entertainment of others at a restaurant etc or disrupting someone while working, you need to leave, because if the person is working, they are being paid to work not to keep your child amused and if it is something they are paying for, they are not paying to be annoyed by children - they may have paid a sitter to look after theirs to get a break.

rosey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hate going into an airplane and being seated next to kids. And when people found out they were sitting next to me and you see them sighing and rolling their eyes.
I feel bad for parents with babies because if a baby is crying, there isn't much you can do if nothing comforts them but for older kids...i hate the kicking in the back of the seat thing.
That drives me insane.

I've actually had people tell me they didn't even know I had a child with me in the plane cause she was so good.

Yeah she better be..lol

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

How about this one: I was on a flight fom Boston to San Diego, and there was a child about 4-5 years old in the seat directly behind me. THe cabin was filled and there were no extra seats available, and in addition, we were delayed at the terminal so the 5 hour flight time turned into 8 hours on the plane.

I agree - in some cases, it is the parent that should be given the spanking.
you did way better them me, i think i would have lasted about 15 min before i lost it.

but i dont always play well ith others or so they tell me

pee-cleaner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just remember, all these kids you are bad mouthing now will be the ones wiping your butts when you're in the nursing home. What goes around comes around.

Wow--never knew my daughter and I were so hated just by EXISTING. A little tolerance would be nice--it's impossible to be perfect every minute of every day....

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pee-cleaner

Just remember, all these kids you are bad mouthing now will be the ones wiping your butts when you're in the nursing home. What goes around comes around.

Wow--never knew my daughter and I were so hated just by EXISTING. A little tolerance would be nice--it's impossible to be perfect every minute of every day....
I agree- children are exhausting when they decided to misbehave. As I said in my post I avoid children because I have done my part in raising them. One of the benefits of working shifts is that I can avoid supermarkets and shops when they are around

Sorry you feel this thread is a personal attack 'pee-cleaner', one of my collegues has the most well-behaved child and like my sisters she is a joy to behold. It's just unfortunate that she brings the child into work and distracts others from working

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think anyone here was bashing kids, but bashing parents who clearly aren't being parents.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pee-cleaner

And I think it will be perfect justice that children who are little monsters NOW will get the PLEASURE of wiping my butt when I can't do it for myself.
What comes around goes around!

None of us actually hate children - OR you, when did this become a personal attack on you??? - just because they exist. I raised a daughter to be extremely well-behaved in all types of social situations, and now as a young woman, she makes me proud to say I'm her mom.

I happen to loathe the parents who ALLOW their children to misbehave and do NOTHING to correct it. If you happen to fit that description, well, I had no idea, and maybe by seeing how people react to it, you'll do something differently with your public parenting in the future.

Again, this thread, and the comments contained herein, are NOT a personal attack on anyone in particular.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure how many of you watch Family Guy, but this thread reminded me of a part of an episode I saw.

Stewie Griffin on an Airplane

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

And I think it will be perfect justice that children who are little monsters NOW will get the PLEASURE of wiping my butt when I can't do it for myself.
What comes around goes around!

None of us actually hate children - OR you, when did this become a personal attack on you??? - just because they exist. I raised a daughter to be extremely well-behaved in all types of social situations, and now as a young woman, she makes me proud to say I'm her mom.

I happen to loathe the parents who ALLOW their children to misbehave and do NOTHING to correct it. If you happen to fit that description, well, I had no idea, and maybe by seeing how people react to it, you'll do something differently with your public parenting in the future.

Again, this thread, and the comments contained herein, are NOT a personal attack on anyone in particular.
Peecleaner isn't the only person who feels that this is offensive. I can handle a little rant, but to me, sometimes it crosses the line.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Peecleaner isn't the only person who feels that this is offensive. I can handle a little rant, but to me, sometimes it crosses the line.
You are entitled to your opinion, but so are we. Even if you don't agree with it.

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, as long as it's done in a way that respect both sides and right now I don't feel that the other side of things were being respected in this thread...but again...just IMO.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You want to hear another side?
I remember being at Seattle Center, I was on the phone near some restrooms and I see a boy, maybe 6 years old being a pest.
Nothing terrible, not monster like running free, just being a typical pest

Then his dad comes out has a few stern words with him, and boxed his ears.
I don't know about you, but I've had my ears boxed accidently, it's extremely painful, and very dangerous.
I went off on the guy.
I told him if he must discipline his kid for being a kid, try taking him into a restroom and giving him a swat on the behind.
Ear boxing constitutes abuse as it endangers the child and if I see him boxing anyone's ear again, I'd box his while we waited for the police just to see how he liked it.
I actually got applause for that from the three or four other people that were standing around by the phones.

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's good for you! I would have applauded you too!

I don't know why I get offended in threads like these because my son doesn't act out that much, but on the odd occassion he does and it really bothers me to think that some stranger who has caught us on an off day and will never see us again assumes the worst of us and it's really fusterating on my end because I know my son is a great kid and I'm a good mum, but other people who only have a 5 minute window into our lives don't get to see the other 9 out of 10 times when he is behaving but still decide he is a "brat" anyways.

Just my little rant

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's actually pretty easy to spot a parent who is trying and frustrated as opposed to one that just don't bother