Kids calling adults by their first name...

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I absolutely hate this trend of young people calling adults by their first name. I always use a title when speaking to or referring to anyone older than myself. That's what my folks taught me, and I do it to this day. I have a dozen nieces & nephews, and very rarely does one call me "Aunt". I, on the other hand, would never dream of calling my aunts & uncles by their first name. My teenage daughter usually uses an adult's first name, even tho' I've told her (repeatedly) that I don't think it's polite. There are some adults that she addresses with a title, tho. I'm not really sure how she's decided to differentiate between the two groups

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do you feel about a child you don't really know (you haven't given permission) addressing you by your first name?
I feel just fine about it. I'm sorry but I would be irritated if a child kept calling me Mrs. C. I hate being called Mrs, ma'am, etc...

joanne511

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I grew up calling people by title and last name. My childhood best friend's parents insisted on me calling them by first name, which I hated, so I just tried not to refer to them by name at all.

As an adult, there are still folks I call by title, out of respect, even if we're close. I recently lost a dear family friend who was like another grandmother to me - who we lovingly called "Mrs. J" even though she started calling herself by first name to me as I became an adult.

My former co-worker introduced me to her young kids as Miss Joanne, which I really like.

joanne511

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

I absolutely hate this trend of young people calling adults by their first name. I always use a title when speaking to or referring to anyone older than myself. That's what my folks taught me, and I do it to this day. I have a dozen nieces & nephews, and very rarely does one call me "Aunt". I, on the other hand, would never dream of calling my aunts & uncles by their first name.
That's so interesting, and reassuring! I still call my aunts and uncles with the appropriate title "Aunty ___" for example. Recently one of my uncles was up for a visit with his wife and when I said "Hi Uncle ___, good to see you!" my aunt (his wife) giggled and said, "So cute, you called him Uncle ___." My whole thing is this: regardless of age, he's still an elder family member and it's respectful for me to address him as such. Maybe my age group is on the cusp of this - I'm almost 30 and some of my friends are like me, but I think most aren't. Part of it too is a cultural issue...on my mom's side of the family all elders (whether they're really related or just close to the family) are addressed as Aunty or Uncle, or some other appropriately respectful title.