Keeping a kitten alive

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
She used to be any inside cat. But she doesn't like it. When we bring her in, she stops eating, isnt as friendly and just overall seems to be in discontent. We found this out over winter a few years ago when we brought her in due to cold weather. I can try again but due to the aforementioned reactions im afraid shell get too stressed to feed the baby, even if she goes out she won't be putting her life and kittens at risk once spsyed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Get her spayed and that behavior will stop, also you won't be risking lives, hers and babies.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replys on sex. He is now little baby jasper

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay so today is day 10 of jasper being inside and having his feedings supplemented by me. Im only feeding 2-3 times a day now. I check on him every couple hours and if his stomach is distended or seems full i dont feed. So the first day i checked he weighed 91g today before any feedings he weighed in at 152g. So thats about 6g a day since i started with the feedings.

I remember someone said they should grow 6-10 g a day so should i increase my feedings since hes on the lower end or is all good? Thanks

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
P.s. ill get an updated picture with his eyes open at next feeding!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You want him to be gaining more per day, so I think you should feed a bit more. You can also weigh him daily so you know how much he is gaining per day. Is possible he was gaining less at the beginning and is

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He's gaining the minimum, so you can feed him more often, and/or more formula at each feeding. If he goes for it, he needs it. If he pushes it away, he's full. It's almost impossible to overfeed a growing kitten! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I love the stink eye photo from momma cat-she looks to be saying-buzz off!

I too am amazed how well you have been caring for Mr. Jasper. His tail is so cute.

Once the kitten is 8 weeks old-spay momma-she is too old to go through another preggy situation AND she will not be so grumpy for being indoors.

Not sure where you live-but we have supervised visits outside-they don't go out unless I am home.And I join them in the yard-I am always doing yard work so its not too much of a pain. Most of the time I am snapping photos of my fuzzbutts.

Keep the feedings up=you may want to try for 4 times a day as the kitten should be getting much bigger now-and you are doing the right thing with not forcing the feedings. And miss Mom cat probably relieved to have a safe place to sleep at night without worrying about people or animals preying on her..

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lol moms actually a sweetheart with me, just bad picture timing. But i do have a good sized yard but too paranoid to take my cats outside.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Adorable! I don't blame you for not taking your cats out. It's always a risk.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so happy for all of you. Definitely no outside time until everyone is vaccinated and spayed!

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How cute!!!  Da widdle eyes is opened!!

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay so i treated momma for worms a couple days ago, and today in her poop i found roundworms :-/ what do i do about the kitten?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you sure it's roundworms, not the litlle rice-like tapeworms?

And did they treat mom for both tapeworms and roundworms?

You'll need to take both mom and kitten to the vet for treatment. Mom needs another treatment, and Jasper will need worming too. He's too young for vaccines, but can be wormed now.

Last edited:

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aren't they supposed to come out after a treatment?  I thought that was what should happen.  

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes. They come out in the stool. And mom will need a follow-up treatment. It's different meds for tapeworms and roundworms. Kitten definitely needs treatment now too.

Last edited: