Keeping a kitten alive

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay, vent time. This little s**t thinks my leg is a scratching post. I went in to make his forumla and he stretched out, up my leg and then dragged down. OUCH!!!!!!!!!!

Okay back to jasper. Haha yes he is mine! And so far other peoppe get maybe 5 mins holdinh him till i get anxious and want him back haha.

He weighed in this morning at 495-505 (scale kept jumping)
And he is 5 weeks old today :-)

He must be eating some food from somewhere as I went to feed him earlier and he refused his bottle for the first time in about a week but his stomach was still plump. His momma gets friskies wet and then like i said, i have kitten chow down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He's finally over the one pound mark! WooHoo! And happy five weeks birthday! [emoji]127874[/emoji]

Jasper is weaning himself! He's clearly eating mom's food. Continue offering the bottle, but he'll let you know when he's no longer interested at all.

Since Jasper's at least eating kitten chow, you might as well put down wet food for him in a separate bowl and see if he'll go for it. Or is he already getting into mom's?

Those little claws are sharp! Watch out! [emoji]128062[/emoji]

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well ive seen him walking through his mothers bowl hahaha. His momma never eats it all, so its possible hes getting some.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No, hes mine! Haha i have a serious problem with allowing other people to hold him right now. I really dont like it. Definitely something i need to work on.

Perfectly natural...comes with the Mama (or Daddy in your case) Cat territory.  It will be easier for you when he's older.  Really.  Probably.  Maybe...

You can work on it.

And that picture!  OMG...too cute for words (I think that may be the first time I've ever typed "OMG" in my entire life!)!  And his precious tail has a little kink in it!  Gotta love that!

Last edited:

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Typical cat hahah i make him a litter box, he poops in his mothers box.

So they are good solid formed tiny stool maybe 1-2 inch in length about the size of a pencil.
So when should i ween him off the bottle? And how?

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm not sure how to translate, "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" into litter box terminology..."the litter's always cleaner in the other box" maybe?  Yes, they all have a contrary streak.  One of the reasons we adore them so.

As for weaning, I haven't weaned kittens in forever...although I bottle fed Hekitty, she was semi-weaned when I got her at 5 weeks.  She began to be more and more interested in the food, and less and less interested in the bottle, till finally I could tell that the bottler was just a security things for her.  And I quite giving it.  And she started smurgling.  And never quit.  Most do.  He'll kind of tell you when he's really ready.   Also, Mama Cat will know, and begin pushing him away.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Typical cat hahah i make him a litter box, he poops in his mothers box.

So they are good solid formed tiny stool maybe 1-2 inch in length about the size of a pencil.
So when should i ween him off the bottle? And how?

Awwwww...He's trying to be a big boy.  He's like "small litter boxes are SO last week!"

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I caught him in the act hahaha

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aww! Jasper thinks he's such a big boy! [emoji]128149[/emoji][emoji]128077[/emoji]

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well yeah, thats his moms temp litter box. We through out the other one cause she pooped on the site of it hahaha. He jumped in his, flailed around, jumped out and went to his mommies

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As long as he's using someones!   That kitten has a level of cute that ought to be illegal!

iamoph

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just finished reading the entire post. I am so happy to see such great progress!!

I am currently caring for a newborn and I saw where they are supposed to be burped. I had no clue!

Good luck and keep us updated :)

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As long as he's using someones!   That kitten has a level of cute that ought to be illegal!
Yeah well that level of cuteness is the only thing keeping him on my good side! This morning i went to feed him and he jumped on my leg, latched on then proceeded to crawl up my pant leg and stop and hang at my waist and meow. It hurt like something fierce!

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just finished reading the entire post. I am so happy to see such great progress!!

I am currently caring for a newborn and I saw where they are supposed to be burped. I had no clue!

Good luck and keep us updated :)
Wow this is like 300 something posts now, thats dedication lol and hes doing well, hes going to the litter box on his own after feedings!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The next time he starts up your leg, pull him off gently and tell him no. A tiny, light tap with your finger on his head will let him know. He has no clue that what he is doing hurts and is inappropriate. He will begin learning over the next few weeks. The climbing legs and scratching hands and feet are one of the first things they have to learn not to do.

iamoph

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow this is like 300 something posts now, thats dedication lol and hes doing well, hes going to the litter box on his own after feedings!

lol it was interesting and full of information!

I have also been accused of overdoing something when I need information on it lol

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know you can wash litterboxes, right? ;) If you throw away the litterbox every time it gets pooped on, it's going to get expensive! :lol3:

Aww, he's so cute! Wants to be a big boy now :D.

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hahaha yes. I know but it was alot of poop and im buying all new litter boxes anyways. I like the sifting kind