Just found some kittens. If the Mom abandons them, what should I do?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dagger311

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I must be honest, I was very hesitant this morning coming here to check for an update, but was so happy and relieved now!!!

Screwjob is right where he belongs, thanks to you!!
It was obvious that in the distraction of moving them, she simply forgot there was one more.
Because you are a caring person, your observations and bringing him in last night literally saved his little life!!

Great job, and a happy ending for all!!   :clap:    :high5:
I knew he would be alright this morning. He's a little rascal, kept climbing out of his box!

Although, if I had my way, and it was feasible to do so, I would've loved to keep him, but, he belongs with his kind. Maybe he'll remember that the giants are friendly and helpful! Maybe he'll pay me a visit when he's older.

It was really all you guys, I just asked for help and followed the instructions. It was really a miracle though, I think it was obvious he was on his last legs when we brought him in.

I do miss him though :(. I may get in to this when I'm older. As a hobby of sorts.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I knew he would be alright this morning. He's a little rascal, kept climbing out of his box!

Although, if I had my way, and it was feasible to do so, I would've loved to keep him, but, he belongs with his kind. Maybe he'll remember that the giants are friendly and helpful! Maybe he'll pay me a visit when he's older.

It was really all you guys, I just asked for help and followed the instructions. It was really a miracle though, I think it was obvious he was on his last legs when we brought him in.

I do miss him though
. I may get in to this when I'm older. As a hobby of sorts.
Of course you miss him, I miss all of my rescues, but realize too, we are meant to cross paths with them when they really need help. We aren't meant to keep them all, just there to be used as their stepping stone, helping them get to where they should be in life.

This little one was meant and needed to be with his mama. To grow up and be a big kitty, and hopefully a good home and a life filled with love.

Who knows, maybe this experience was also meant for you in a way, because you just might end up being a future rescuer! The help needed out there is literally endless, this is why we don't keep them, only until they move on, so we can be there to save the next who need us :)

It's exactly how I started, my Krissy, one tiny little muchkin, brought to me at 4 hours old, who would have thought in a million years how that tiny baby would have changed my entire life. She opened my eyes to the cat world, all of the homeless out there, whether feral or abandoned, who so desperately need our help.

Krissy is responsible for literally thousands of cats saved over her 12 years with me. And many more to come.

Take care :)

dagger311

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I know, but still, they're just so cute! He'd try and nurse my thumb when I was petting him. And the way he'd meow at me when I picked him up. Oh, and of course the wobhling. He never even walked, just kinda stumbled around. Like we've said though, he's where we belongs now, with his real family.

I will guarantee though, next time there's kittens in my toolbox, I'll be keeping a closer eye on them! Such a joy to see them so tiny. Definitely the coolest thing I'll do all month (except maybe seeing this, but that's debatable :p)

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
NICE car!!

Trust me, they are ALL so cute, each tiny little one, with it's very own personality, gosh I am always posting pics of my current foster kittens!  They're all adorable and unique, that's for sure!

dagger311

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
NICE car!!

Trust me, they are ALL so cute, each tiny little one, with it's very own personality, gosh I am always posting pics of my current foster kittens!  They're all adorable and unique, that's for sure!
'57 Bel-Air! Not many still appreciate those old cars. Glad to see someone else shares an appreciation for an American classic.

But yeah, I was actually kinda sad to see she was moving them. I would sit there for an hour staring at the window, watching them play with each other. They're just so adorable! You wish they could stay just at the age where they don't require round the clock maitenance forever.

And I know this isn't a car forum, but figured you might appreciate this 1961 Corvette Convertible I saw outside of five guys. This is one of my favorites (57 is the best), so I had to take a picture (I take pictures of everything).

Last edited:

dagger311

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm glad I found it, too. I had no clue how to care for a kitten.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yep, that's one hot car, all original stock wheels, nice!

A few of my faves besides the older classics of course are the old GTO's, Olds 442, Camaros, El Camino's and my all time fave is Firebird! Probably because I owned one for many, many years. I was the only mechanic on it, finally retired it a few years back, with over 300,000 miles on it :)

Pretty proud of that!

dagger311

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep, that's one hot car, all original stock wheels, nice!

A few of my faves besides the older classics of course are the old GTO's, Olds 442, Camaros, El Camino's and my all time fave is Firebird! Probably because I owned one for many, many years. I was the only mechanic on it, finally retired it a few years back, with over 300,000 miles on it :)
Pretty proud of that!
Chevy makes my favorite cars, so I'm heavily biased. :lol3: I like the Chevelles (Especially 65), corvettes (57, 63 split window, and of course the new C7 ZO6).

I love Pontiac as well, especially the GTO, and the 77 Trans AM, because of Smokey and the bandit :p.

And also, forgot to mention, the location of the other two kittens are known as well, so all three are safe and sound :).

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Chevy makes my favorite cars, so I'm heavily biased.
I like the Chevelles (Especially 65), corvettes (57, 63 split window, and of course the new C7 ZO6).

I love Pontiac as well, especially the GTO, and the 77 Trans AM, because of Smokey and the bandit :p.

And also, forgot to mention, the location of the other two kittens are known as well, so all three are safe and sound
After I posted I thought of Chevelles!

I think I assumed the other 2 kittens were with their mom too, so glad they are all back together again :)

dagger311

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They were. Well, they're in the general area, or possibly hidden. She brought them to her house somewhere. The mom was just sitting behind some shrubs, prpbably hiding from me :lol3:.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's great news about Screwjob, I'm glad he's back with his mother.

Maybe your first role as a rescuer could be to suggest to Mari that she gets the mother cat spayed once her kittens are weaned? Feral cats can have up to 12 kittens a year and the poor little things often die. Screwjob was really lucky that you found him.

You did a great job.

dagger311

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I talked to her about it when we brought him back, and she said that she wants the kittens, and takes care of them when she has them.

It's not really a "Feral" cat by definition. She's owned and cared for, just outside and not spayed. I call all outdoor cats ferals :lol3:.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Yeah, I have a lot of "feral" cats who were born outside and only come home for food and a comfy spot to nap. Mine have all been spayed and neutered though.

Mari must be a wealthy lady! it costs me a fortune to keep my lot well fed and healthy.

dagger311

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We're in a middle-class area. My neighbor has a really awesome Mercedes, all the houses are nice, you can just sort of tell the people living here have some money. Lot of retired people. This also makes it a bad place. There was a non-fatal shooting a few houses down a month ago, and a full-on gang shootout three streets over. Gangs are all over the place here.

But yeah. Some of her "feral" ones don't require much. Not to get grisly, but there are a lot of squirrels around here! She leaves them food and water, but that's pretty much it. No litter to buy, unsure on flea medicine.

biancaboo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you need warmth for the kittens and do not have a hot water bottle small enough, use a knee high sock and fill it with rice and tie it off and microwave it for 1-2 mins. We used it with our kitten after her mom passed to keep her warm. This is also great for your muscles when they are sore. 

dagger311

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll remember that if we ever need it again. I lift weights (Despite my skinniness), and get sore often as well. So it should come in handy.