Just found some kittens. If the Mom abandons them, what should I do?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would observe from a hidden distance and see if they are truly abandoned, they look pretty healthy in your picture and don't seem to be in distress. I would bet mama won't come around as long as the 'human' is near. I don't understand though why they are out in the open. Of course if she doesn't come back, the first step would be to warm them, then food. Good luck and keep us posted!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

dagger311

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will. They're healthy I think, at least their fur is soft. I'm just going to watch for a while, see if the mom comes back. If not, I can't take that many cats, so it would be animal control?

Oh, and they're not in the open, that's the inside of a toolbox we left out there after the handle broke.

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will. They're healthy I think, at least their fur is soft. I'm just going to watch for a while, see if the mom comes back. If not, I can't take that many cats, so it would be animal control?

Oh, and they're not in the open, that's the inside of a toolbox we left out there after the handle broke.
Honestly, mom cats are extremely protective,  loving and almost NEVER abandon their kids. Seriously, the huge majority of the time, in nearly all cases, it's simply because mom is feral and will not allow herself to be seen, so the longer you are there, the longer it will take for her to come back to them.

I would stay far away, give her time to wait and be watching to be sure there is nobody around, then she will swoop, likely moving them now that she knows you have been there and discovered them.

Last edited:

dagger311

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a good view of them from the window, so if she comes by, I'll most likely see her. We'll see how it goes, I doubt they've been abandoned, but just in case, I wanted to know what to do.

dagger311

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not abandoned! Walked over to check on them and the mom jumped out of the box, not going to bother them any more. Just glad to know they're safe.

tjcarst

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Very good sign.  You might consider leaving some food out for her.  She is going to spend a lot of time and energy hunting in order to feed them.

dagger311

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll leave some out today.

dagger311

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's moved all but one. I'm going to miss them :(. What if she hasn't moved him by tonight? It's supposed to get in the 40's. She's been moving them since earlier today.

dagger311

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Guys, it's dark out and getting cold... Will the kitten be alright at 45-50 degrees? Mom put a little blanket there for him/her to lay on.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
How long has it been since the mother was last there? She's probably going to come back, if it's only been an hour or so I wouldn't do anything yet, but keep an eye on the kitten just to make sure.

dagger311

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know, maybe an hour or two? It's was sometime during daylight, which stopped around 8 or 8:30. Maybe 6 PM? Would it be alright overnight?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Is he still in the tool box? That's going to give him a bit of shelter and If he's got a blanket to lie on he'll be OK for now.

Check again in about an hour.

Sometimes mother cats forget how many kittens they've got but she might be back, so leave him where he is for now

Thanks for trying to help him, they look like such a sweet little family.

dagger311

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, still there. Here's a picture I took at dusk. We hadn't put the blanket there.

I just hope he's alright, I'd hate to see him get lost. There's probably a shelter nearby, but he needs to be with his mom. Hopefully she realizes humans are nice, and will let us play with them later lol.

I'll check again at eleven. If he's still there, I'll post it here and wait until the morning.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She's moved all but one. I'm going to miss them
. What if she hasn't moved him by tonight? It's supposed to get in the 40's. She's been moving them since earlier today.
Oh my gosh I wish I had seen this earlier!

No, mom is NOT coming back for baby.

This is VERY common, and exactly how I got my Krissy. (in avatar pic)

This happens because there is so much stress going on with mom moving them, the last kitten is quite often forgotten about and left behind.

Baby is unable to be warm, blanket insulates, but no heat source means a cold baby.

Please go out and get it, and hold it right on your skin and get warmed.

This is going to be a bottle fed baby!

I am happy to walk you through it but first and foremost, please go get baby and get to warming.

dagger311

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not so sure on that, she took a while moving the first two. I think it may be best to wait until later tonight and check. If he's still there, heat a little bottle of water and put it there. If he's still there in the morning, then it's serious.

dagger311

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, they're probably a couple weeks old, judging only by size (can we get a cat age expert in here?).

And a few hours.

Will they leave their young if human scent is there? We touched the blanket, and moved the cat on it.