Joonyer moving to Hendrick Motorsports

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LSULOVER

What picture are you talking about?

I seen one of Carl Edwards one time (I don't remember where) but he had on his drivers suit, and it was unzipped down to the waist, and Dang, I almost fell out of my chair when I saw it.
That would be the one! And the cover of mens health magazine!

bob'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just watched the press conference. A couple of things stand out:

1) No announcement of sponsors. You would think Bud would be all over this. I've heard a few other things, such as Bud being under contract to DEI as opposed to Junior for 2008 (but Junior has a personal service contract with them), Bud's possible interest in other drivers (I heard Kasey Kahne's name mentioned) and maybe Junior needing to move to another sponsor so he can market better to the under-21 set.

2) Maybe it's just that there were so many questions and there was the need to answer them without everything in place but it seemed like they were trying to make an unknown (can everyone get along) as a positive.

I go back to baseball. Everyone is comparing Hendrick to the NY Yankees. Unfortunatly the Yankees go through spells where they think more stars are better and it comes back to bite them. This may not turn out to be a slam dunk - could be the opposite for someone (not necessarily Junior) in that garage.

crittergirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babygirl

I love the move!! I'm a big Junior fan and I think this is exactly the type of team he needs to finally start winning and possibly win a few championships with. I really believe that if he is given the right equipment, he can compete with the best in the sport.

Very excited about this!
I totally agree! That does not mean that I have to like Goron or Jimmie though.. i think Jimmie is a pompus... (fill in blank)

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do think that this will give Junior the chance to win that he didn't have at DEI because Teresa didn't know her rear end from an exhaust pipe, but somehow still thought she had enough knowledge through injection from Dale Sr to run the team.
I'm not begrudging her that Sr. took care of her and their daughter - not at all. But she does NOT know how to run a team! When Sr. was alive, DEI was on top of the world with Jr. and Mikey. But once she started making the decisions, it went downhill FAST.

When Junior announced that he was leaving DEI, Bud announced they were going with him.

And crittergirl, I total agree...Jimmy is a pompous ...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittergirl

I totally agree! That does not mean that I have to like Gordon or Jimmie though.. i think Jimmie is a pompus... (fill in blank)
I like the way you think! I know that word

Originally Posted by valanhb

I do think that this will give Junior the chance to win that he didn't have at DEI because Teresa didn't know her rear end from an exhaust pipe, but somehow still thought she had enough knowledge through injection from Dale Sr to run the team.
I'm not begrudging her that Sr. took care of her and their daughter - not at all. But she does NOT know how to run a team! When Sr. was alive, DEI was on top of the world with Jr. and Mikey. But once she started making the decisions, it went downhill FAST.

When Junior announced that he was leaving DEI, Bud announced they were going with him.

And crittergirl, I total agree...Jimmy is a pompous ...
Teresa's family used to run the infamous Hickory Motor Speedway, that's where her and Sr. met. Her fmaily has a history in THAT end of the sport, which is way different than running a team. She does have some business sense, but Sr. was the brains behind that end.

I don't wish DEI any ill will, I have friends that work for them. They are going to have to step it up though.

And I will NOT be pulling for Joonyer any longer. I consider this a HUGE sellout.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

And I will NOT be pulling for Joonyer any longer. I consider this a HUGE sellout.
I really don't think this is a sellout. If he went with Childress (who frankly hasn't been performing real well lately) he would always be in his father's shadow.

He looked at Gibbs, but if Joe really does have that big of an issue with Budweiser as a sponsor that really rules Gibbs Racing out for Jr. He's committed to Budweiser for a long time.

So if you're looking at the top Chevy teams, that leaves Hendrick. He and the Earnhardt family have deep roots - Jr.'s grandfather worked for Rick Hendrick early in his career.

If Jr. wanted a team that would enable him to win right out of the gate, it's those 3 teams to choose from.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, you'd have to understand my deep rooted hatred for the Hendrick organization (particularly the 24 team.) I tend to overdramatize things related to them (at least I've been told.) I only have two friends that are Gordo fans, and one of them is Belinda's hubby Jimmy
. I just have a real hard time seeing Joonyer going from being the #1 driver at DEI to being #3 at HMS. If he's not #3, then those other two will be
and things will get really interesting.

I'll have to post pics of my Jeff Gordon dartboard so you can get a feel of where I come from.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well, you'd have to understand my deep rooted hatred for the Hendrick organization (particularly the 24 team.) I tend to overdramatize things related to them (at least I've been told.) I only have two friends that are Gordo fans, and one of them is Belinda's hubby Jimmy
. I just have a real hard time seeing Joonyer going from being the #1 driver at DEI to being #3 at HMS. If he's not #3, then those other two will be
and things will get really interesting.

I'll have to post pics of my Jeff Gordon dartboard so you can get a feel of where I come from.
Oh my goodness, when I first started reading your post, I thought you were gonna say that one of them fans was me.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, I totally understand where you're coming from. I'm certainly not one who looks at life through rainbow tinted glasses.
I laughed - and hard - when they were throwing stuff at Gordon. And I laughed just as hard at the newest Lowes commercials where Jimmy and Chad are trying (unsuccessfully, I might add) to be like Tony and Zippy.

And I have that same deep rooted hatred for Rousch Racing - thank goodness they run Fords so I didn't have to deal with Jr. possibly choosing that team!

But I can understand why Junior made the decision to go with Hendrick. And while I can't stand Hendrick's 2 top drivers, I always liked Terry Labonte, and Casey Mears isn't bad either. So I can't pledge the same kind of issues with the whole team - just 2 of the drivers.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kinda of off topic here, But i really wish nascar would make a rule that,
there are no multi car teams, One team, one car, one driver.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

Kinda of off topic here, But i really wish nascar would make a rule that,
there are no multi car teams, One team, one car, one driver.
We wish.

It's on the way down, I think. Viewership is way off, attendance is down. Things are not looking good for them, and its their own doing. $$$ got in the way.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh i can agree, they got to big, cut out some of there old tracks.
and i still think the death of dale sr hurt,( i know i stopped watching as much as i used to)

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i really dont get where you ( and i dont remember who said it) that Jr not having complete say in DEI is against SR's wishes. Sr had the dream that DEI would florish with his wife at the helm, and jr as a driver. PERIOD. not Jr trying to get rid of threasa(sp). She has ALOT of business sense, and has done well so far juggling Jr and Martin Truex as top drivers. If jr had jsut taken 49% like she offered he would have been sitting pretty, but he got greedy.

If Sr was still around and saw how ppl are treating his wife and how Sr and Jr fans treat other drivers ....aka tossing full beer cans onto the track, he would be SICK. He had more respect then that, and so should the fans.

I was/still am a Sr fan when i got into NASCAR. Then Sr took a dirt driver and young phenom under his wing. It wa Jeff Gordon. Sr taught him everything. ANd knew that jeff had a good business sense. They had a company together, and were VERY good friends. I started paying attention to to Jeff in 1993, when he ran his first full cup race at Homestead, Fl. He had a ton of talent for being a newbie. And from there lead to multiple championships. You cant say the man dosent have talent.

Even Jr said in his speech, that he will still want to beat jeff cause " jeff is one of the best in the sport, and to beat a man like that means you done good" I think that says it all. If Jr dosent hate Jeff, but respects him, then his true fans will too, the rest will drop off, and good, dont need bandwagon fans anyway.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can respect Jeffrey as a driver with talent and still not like him. And what I don't think Sr. would appreciate from Teresa is how she's treating Jr. - not allowing him to have a team that can win because she won't let him impliment anything. She may have business sense, but she should stick to business and not running the actual teams.

Y'all are so right about NASCAR shooting itself in the foot. Not just with the money part, but the "rules" they have implimented about NASCAR only being a family friendly sport. They've taken the personalities out of the sport by saying that they can't get mad, they can't express themselves, they can't critisize NASCAR, they can't do ANYTHING except drive. You don't get to where these drivers are without passion, but NASCAR is sucking the passion right out of them.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

I can respect Jeffrey as a driver with talent and still not like him. And what I don't think Sr. would appreciate from Teresa is how she's treating Jr. - not allowing him to have a team that can win because she won't let him impliment anything. She may have business sense, but she should stick to business and not running the actual teams.

Y'all are so right about NASCAR shooting itself in the foot. Not just with the money part, but the "rules" they have implimented about NASCAR only being a family friendly sport. They've taken the personalities out of the sport by saying that they can't get mad, they can't express themselves, they can't critisize NASCAR, they can't do ANYTHING except drive. You don't get to where these drivers are without passion, but NASCAR is sucking the passion right out of them.
I fondly remember those days.

As for Jeffy Poo, I never bought into his goody-goody act from the start. He proclaimed to be such a Christian person, and then conducted himself so poorly on the scanner and off the track. I just have no tolerance for people who claim to be one thing and are another.

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

bob'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

As for Jeffy Poo, I never bought into his goody-goody act from the start. He proclaimed to be such a Christian person, and then conducted himself so poorly on the scanner and off the track. I just have no tolerance for people who claim to be one thing and are another.
I have to agree. It always seemed to me that he became a Christian for some sort of business reason - possibly having to do with his 1st wife.

As for how Teresa treats Junior, I suspect that she still sees him as the punk kid who had no ambition (other than to drink, listen to rock music and chase women) and (in her mind at least) showed no respect. She can't see that he's matured in any way. It happens all the time in stepfamilies, just this happens to be in the public eye.