Job: Getting Sick During My Two Weeks Notice

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I was offered a new job, and start next monday. i let my job know i would work last week, and this week.

however, today i woke up and my voice is gone. I've been feeling nauseous and not wanting to eat.

i'm not sure what to do should i go to urgent care? its so rare for me to get sick that i dont want to be given unecessaty medication.

do i show up to work my last week like this?

what about my new job, i dont want people thinking i get sick so easily. :help:

what should i do? i dont want to leave this current job with a bad impression either, as the person that didnt finish their last two weeks.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
See how you feel tomorrow, whatever it is may pass quickly. If you still feel unwell in the morning, get yourself checked out. Your current employer wont thank you if you go into work, last two weeks or not and pass it onto other staff.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you feel too ill to go in then you shouldn't really. If you're 50/50, which is what I've felt before, then it would look good on you that you made the effort if you dragged yourself in. It shouldn't have to be this way but honest people pay the price for all those that 'pull a sickie' when there's nothing wrong with them. I've known a few of those types.
If you went in and they saw that you were unfit to work then they should send you home if they're decent. They should note that you're not a malingerer and could pass it on to your new employer which would also look good for you.
You've been unlucky with the bad timing of it (darned sod's law) and I understand the dilemma you're in, I would be worrying like you.
Whether you should go to urgent care, that's a judgement call for you obviously.
I don't know where you are but in the UK we have a line and they give advice over the phone. If you have similar, I'd give them a call.
Good luck.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would take my temperature and if it is above your normal, call in sick. A good manager won't want the rest of the crew exposed. And if you take off only a day or two, it should be fine.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I would recommend going to urgent care or another medical center while you are still covered under your current health insurance policy. Let your employer know you are not feeling well, going to get it checked out and will let them know what the medical personnel advise. I hope you feel better soon. :alright:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. Woke up with my voice still off and sore throat but definitely better. I might head home a little early if I keep feeling bad.
Im not feeling too bad so I didn't end up going to urgent care. Just feels like a normal cough. Usually get a cough once a year. I think I messed up saturday, Petco had $10 of $30 and I went out in the cold rain to get my cats treats.:frown:

I still need to turn in my transcripts and sign some paperwork with my new employer.

Im hoping to put him off for a couple of days but I want to let him know I have the transcripts. He's asked me for them a few times (I had some issues obtaining them. )

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Glad your feeling a little better. Well done for braving work.
:yeah: Ditto!

Happy to hear you woke up feeling slightly better. If you still feel under the weather near the end of the work day please pamper yourself, you deserve it. :hugs:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:vibes::vibes::vibes:Please keep us updated!! Prayers & vibes that you knock that 'bug' out completely as the day goes on. That was so sweet of you to brace the rain for the sake of your kitties. It might still behoove you to take some elderberry and/or licorice root and L-lysine. Sambucol makes good products but you might live in an area where the elderberries are ripe; the flower heads make a tasty, soothing tea as well, especially when used with raw honey. To make a good brew from the berries, roll the berries off the stems and cover with water, put a lid on the pot and simmer until the scent of elderberry smells good to you (the Ancient Ones used that method to determine the appropriate strength to the individual). My friend from Austria and her friend from Hungary both grew up using elderberry flowers & berries for tasty beverages.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@catsknowsme thank you for the suggestions! I've heard of elder berry but have never seen it in the stores. I live in Miami. I'll check the store the next time I go.

Been feeling better today so decided to stay at work. :confused:

Feeling tired tho, and warm even tho it's cold in the office.

My new employer was asking for me to stop by as soon as possible. So Im going to drop by really quick tomorrow to sign some paper work. Hopefully my voice will be back to normal.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Herbs work great! Hot water, fresh lemon & raw honey are excellent to improve your voice short term (I worked in a restaurant with a nightclub upstairs so a clear, strong voice was mandatory, sick or not). As for herbs, you should be able to find Throat Coat which has licorice root & slippery elm (for best medicinal benefit, simmer covered for 10 min or so - you want a decoction not just a steeped tea) and Sambucol (the brand name for commercially available elderberry products - they have syrups & lozenges which are convenient but pricey) at the big supermarkets and drug stores. You can take the herbs in capsules, too, especially if you don't like the flavor of black licorice.
It sounds like your new job is anxious to have you asap - how nice to be so wanted!! Last time that I was in the job market, I either got ignored or got the "you are overqualified" letter - while it's illegal here to ask my age, knowing that I graduated high school in 1974 is probably a giveaway.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
catsknowme catsknowme I'm heading to the store now. Had to leave work at 3pm. started getting woozy. Irritated my voice to deal with the customers, it was quiet in the morning and busy after 12pm. :angryfire::(

Been coughing since I got home. Have to fix my voice for the time im meeting him in the morning. :cringe:

P.s. I had bad luck in the job market too. Applied for so many jobs. Took me awhile to get this job. I got very lucky. :goldstar:

Last edited:

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
just went to walmart and bought, sambucol, throat coat, honey, lemon, and a spray that numbs the throat. :lol: i used most of the products already,

not sure if its a combination of everything, the ibuprofen i took, or the cold frappe... but im feeling better.:flail:

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Woke up and my voice isn't perfect. Hopefully they don't know me well enough to know what my normal voice sounds like. :fear:

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would recommend going to urgent care or another medical center while you are still covered under your current health insurance policy. Let your employer know you are not feeling well, going to get it checked out and will let them know what the medical personnel advise. I hope you feel better soon. :alright:
If you are still feeling sick, this is what I would do. That way you have something from a Doctor in writing to show that you aren't just acting sick and trying to jerk anyone around. Leaving early isn't a good way to end one job or especially start a new one, so you'll want something to show that you are legitimately ill.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Talien Talien

Im feeling better today. So I should be ok. I just found out I might have to do a 3 hour new employee orientation.

So I might need to ask for time off again at work. So I can't really take the time to find a doctor. :cringe: I'm grateful for this job but the process has been so time involved.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
di and bob di and bob I've been taking benadryl. So im sure it's not that.
Im at work. Going to have to leave early. Started coughing so badly while I was here.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm at work. Going to have to leave early. Started coughing so badly while I was here.
Maybe it's time to go to Urgent Care. :nurse: You may need something to knock that cough out before it gets out of hand. At least you could have a medical professional check your symptoms and know once and for all if you need further treatment. Take it easy, hope you feel better soon. :crossfingers:

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
neely neely ive been home for a few hours, and slept most of that time. i am feeling much better. im not coughing as much and my throat/chest isnt hurting. if it starts coming back i will head into urgent care, but for now i am feeling much better. ;) :hyper: