Jimmy is home!!

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to let everyone know Jimmy is home and his new mama is exhausted. It's 6:30 and I am fixing to go to bed for the night..........

Jimmy is absolutely georgeous. I have been home for about an hr or so with him. His new litter box and food/water bowls are set up for him and his crate is open. I have all this in my spare bedroom. I lay on the bed in there for about an hr and he stayed in his crate just staring at me with those big eyes of his. I have the lights dim in there and I am going to give him some privacy for a bit so maybe he will come out and eat something.

Thank you Eileen...... And it was very nice meeting you! I will keep you updatedd with info and pictures.

Sincerely,
Jenn

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay!
I know it will take time, but I will be watching Jimmy's progress. I hope the change into his own home will help. I know the interaction with one loving person will be wonderful for him!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think a home environment is just what Jimmy needed. He, still at 1:26am, has not come out of his crate.. That I am aware of anyway. I just put a few little pieces of prime rib streak in the edge of his crate. He has to be hungry... He is sitting/laying in a little box inside the crate at this point.

And I can tell he is scared. Husband thinks I should put another cat in their with him but I'm not sure if that is a good idea yet. So I am waiting on that.

I am every hr or so just walking through the room. I fell asleep in there twice since we have been home.

He just stares at me but he'll be ok. I bet he comes out during the night if nothing else to drink water and smell around a little.

Nite again all.....
Jenn

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I slept in the room with Jimmy until 3:30 or so when my hubby came and woke me up. I turned the lights off when I left the room and at that time Jimmy was still in his crate.

This morning when I checked on him, he was out of the crate and had used his litterbox and had drank 1/2 bowl of water!!!

I am so glad.........More later.

Jenn

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How exciting Jenn...Jimmy is beginning adapt to his new home.

Eileen...job will done.

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wonderful news Jenn, so glad that Jimmy is finally exactly where he belongs. I look forward to Jimmy updates!

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jenn, I'm glad you and Jimmy made it home safely. I just got home myself.
I knew it would be hard to say goodbye to Jimmy, but it was even more difficult when he let me scratch his ears. First time for that! It's a good thing you brought kleenex.

It sounds like Jimmy is understandably scared and confused, but it's a good sign that he used his litter box and drank a little. You're such a dedicated kitty mom to stay with him. I'm sure he found that comforting and it will help him get use to you. I agree it's probably too soon to introduce him to the other cats.

Jimmy is definitely where he belongs. I'll bet he just blossoms in a real home.
Thanks Jenn, to you and your hubby for opening your hearts to Jimmy. We'll miss him here. Looking forward to pics and updates when you can.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here the latest update on Jimmy.

He is actually exploring the bedroom and since I already have some things packed and ready for moving to our new house next month, Jimmy has found the crannies among it all..... When I checked on him earlier, I could not find him. There is no way he could get out of the room and but I looked for thirty minutes.

I finally found him. He had found a new hidey hole. Now itsn't this cute?

He's going to be a sweetheart.

Oh and he finally pooped and finally ate his steak too.... And a little catfood because he scattered it some Yeah~~~

And Eileen, all the work that you and Millie did is going to pay off for Jimmy. It's going to take him a good while but I have a feeling one day he will be lovey dovey.......

Jenn

p.s. One more thing. He has already met [or seen might be a better word] a couple of the cats. Kissy and Dovey. They sit at the door and try to rush the door when I open it. I had to make Kissey leave Jimmy's steak alone... hehe Dovey took a nap in there with me when I got back from Fayetteville today. She is out of there now but Jimmy knows there are cats around at this point. My cats never saw Jimmy and don't even know he is in there but I was watching him watch them. He sits real still and is like a statue cat. He does this with his whole body hid and only his face peeking out from somewhere. They have explored his crate but they have not seen a cat. I have never seen a motionless cat. This is going to be a joy....

I also think Jimmy ate his steak because he saw Kissey wanted it. He will learn me by watching me and the other kitties. I hope anyway......

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats house, we just pay the mortgage..
I can't believe I missed all of this. Jenn, what can I say? I love reading updates on Star and now there will be 2!!
You are a fantastic person and I know Jimmy will do great in your care.
Well done to you and Eileen for giving the cat the life he deserves!

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awww, thanks Jenn. That picture of Jimmy made my day!!! That's our boy.
He was good at finding the cubby holes at Millie's too. Glad to hear he ate something and has been out exploring. Sounds like he's already starting to feel a little bit at home.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if he feeling at home yet, but I think it is progress that he is exploring the room.

I take asthma breathing treatment and he doesn't blink an eye when he hears the machine. Which is good. I have not put a TV in there yet but I plan to this evening or tomorrow.

I have been talking to him and saying his name alot also while I am in there. Softly. And humming to him.

I caught my husband down on his knees talking quietly to Jimmy. I knew he would like him. He loves black and white cats and I never showed him Jimmy's picture. He had no idea what Jimmy looked like. Hubby says Jimmy is just scared and he's right. But he will be ok.

I'm glad you liked the picture Eileen. Can't get a body shot of him. Only a face at this point. He is very adorable and cute. He is big boy and I have no idea how he actually got in the cubby hole he was in when I took the picture. I thought I have moved the packed stuff flush with the wall, but he crawled in between a suitcase, a blue blanket and a box. To my knowledge he has not been back in the crate since coming out.

I am going to make him his own box since he likes boxes....

I have been calling him Jimmy kitty guy.......

He is going to be ok...........

Jenn

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:angel2: Jenn, you are such a wonderful guardian angel to cats
and Jimmy Kitty Guy knows it, too
When I read that you have asthma & still RESCUE cats - oh, I have tears of gratitude - words cannot express how much I admire you!! You inspire the rest of us! I look forward to reading more about Jimmy.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well catsknowme, I know what you are saying........ Everything is a double edged sword in my life with my health. I had to decide if I wanted to live in a sterile bottle or LIVE MY LIFE.

Believe it or not, I am much much better than I used to be with the asthma and with other health issues as well that I am not going to go into..... But I still take about 4 breathing treatments a day. And I give myself daily injections as well. I just have to do it and I also have to save what kitties I can. It would be horrible to be heartless. And there are a lot of heartless people out there in the world. Sure, my breathing would be better without cats and dogs sleeping with me and living in my house but I would be miserable without them. This is my life. I love them... It would be much easier to not have cat hair everywhere. It would be much cheaper if I didn't have them. But I could never give them away or turn one away. They are my babies and they depend on me.

I also think everyone on this site is of a similiar nature as well.......... We all have our crosses to bear and through it all we have to find our happiness or go crazy wondering what is wrong with our lives. My little kitties with their kitty love kisses are my saviors...

People truely forget that you have give first before you receive. Nothing is ever truely given on a silver platter. My platter is tarnished but it is full..... And that's what important.

Thenk you catsknowme....
Jenn

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, Jimmy is still in his cubby hole but he is coming out and eating and pooping. He has also turned his body around and doesn't feel the need to stare into the room anymore which probably means he is feeling more comfortable. It's like he is not on guard anymore.

Since he was in this position, I reached in the hole and scratched his back very gently and he did not pull away.
In fact, he closed his eyes.. My husband also touched/scratched his back and he did not pull from him either.... ahhhhhhhhhhhhh...

I am very encouraged.

Jenn

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcribbs

Well, Jimmy is still in his cubby hole but he is coming out and eating and pooping. He has also turned his body around and doesn't feel the need to stare into the room anymore which probably means he is feeling more comfortable. It's like he is not on guard anymore.

Since he was in this position, I reached in the hole and scratched his back very gently and he did not pull away.
In fact, he closed his eyes.. My husband also touched/scratched his back and he did not pull from him either.... ahhhhhhhhhhhhh...

I am very encouraged.

Jenn
That's awesome, Jenn!
I'm surprised and happy all at once. I never expected that you'd be able to touch him so soon. Could be he just senses that he's safe, that he's home. I have to go get some more kleenex now.

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Jimmy...what a smart boy, you've figured out so quickly that you've found the perfect home!! That's wonderful!! Congratulations Jenn and to you Eileen. I'm thinking there might have been a little divine intervention (and maybe TCS vibes) making this all working out so well!

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's wonderful!!!.... I do think he is feeling safe or safer but he is still nervous and scared. He is a long way from what I would call totally relaxed. But the fact he did not shy away from our hands is very fantastic! The first time I touched him, he back kinda jerked but then he relaxed as I kept talking to him. I have touched him several times today in this manner and I am adding longer and longer strokes down his back as I do this.. I don't want to get bit and I don't want to spook him so I am being careful but so far he has not acted agressive at all. No growling and no claws at all and no trying to get away. He likes this cubbyhole and is choosing to stay there. He feels completely hid from view in there. I know he is coming out of it because of the fresh poop/tinkle in the litter box. And I know he is coming out to drink becasue of the water level but he is not eating much. But as long as he is drinking and tinkling and pooping I guess he's ok.. He will eat when he is hungry. And he did eat steak once.....

Definately divine intervention.......Definately!

Aw Eileen....... you are such a sweet person... so tender hearted... I hope we'll have many more kleenex days where Jimmy is concerned......

Jenn

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like you're making wonderful progress with Jimmy already.
I'm sure he's still scared but no doubt finds your touch comforting. Hopefully he'll learn that being pet by a human is a good thing. I'm still amazed that he let me scratch his ears the other day. That was the best parting gift Jimmy could have given me.
He really is a sweet boy.

Guess I'm going to have to be sure to keep the kleenex handy when I read your updates. Your patience and understanding are just what Jimmy needs!

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eileen, I have a question for you.......

What food were you feeding Jimmy? The only thing I can definately say he has eaten is 5 bites of steak. He has scattered cat food but I can't tell he has eaten any.

I have tried chicken. I have tried sardines but he doesn't seem to be eating.

I want to get something he likes. I may try canned cat food. He is drinking and pooping but I see no evidence of food being gone.

Today he discovered my husbands open suitcase. So I took all my husbands stuff out and put in a bunch of old clean socks and put a pillow case over them for Jimmy. Its a soft suitcase and I put it on it's side so it's like a little cave. He has buried himself in the socks. He loves it by the way.

Also today for the first time, he stood in the middle of the room while I was in there. He stood still as long as I did. When I squated down, he darted away. It's the first time I have seen him stand up. I am touching him everyday now. Today I rubbed him gently all over the face and back and it relaxed him. I could tell. He is still not sure of me but he let me.

I am just worried about the food issue however.......

Thanks in advance,
Jenn

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jenn, I'll PM you about the food issue.

That's cute about the suitcase. Jimmy's always been an expert at finding those cozy spots.
It's great that he's so responsive to being touched. Sounds like your definitely taking the right approach.

Thanks for all updates. It's so reassuring to know Jimmy's in a safe place.