Jimmy is having a breakthrough!!

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love seeing pics of your cats Jenn, you are doing such a wonderful job to give them so much space and happiness.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well it was storming this morning when I woke up. I went and checked on the new cat grass hoping nothing washed away and it was all still there. They rye due to the heavy rain is flat but still there. The lighter colored grass is still standing tall. Not sure what kind it is but it is a hardy grass. It is harder to get plugs but I think I am going to try and get some more of it up today. It is what covers most of the ground here where I live. And most of the grass they ate yesterday was this type. They don't seem to like eating the rye very much.

When it quits raining I can get to work....

And Tigger, I'll be glad when they have more space than this. I feel extremely guilty that they only have a 20 x 10 section of outside land to enjoy.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I might just transplant some of that catnip as well......... I got a bunch that I planted.... soggy ground is good for digging.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, Jenn. You've created quite a kitty paradise for your crew. I love seeing the pictures of Jimmy and the others enjoying themselves!

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll bet Jimmy is so very happy that he doesn't have to scrounge for his food any more.

When Elliott was a stray he loved to chase butterflies too, but his favorite thing was to chase lightening bugs when it got dark outside.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jimmy is very very very relaxed today. He has walked up to me several times. When I walk by him, he just sits there and doesn't even scoot away. He even walked between my legs to get past me to get in the kitchen today when I was in the hall......

The grass did it!!! He is rewarding me for making him a grassy area.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's all it took, Jenn.
If you'd have known that you'd have planted the grass a long time ago

Jimmy is saying "Thanks for the grass, Mommy!"

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, what an exciting day!!!

I touched Jimmy 4-6 times. On the back, on his face and basically bugged him. He finally swatted at me GENTLY with no claws. But I quit and respected his wishes. He even played with a feather for the first time with enthusium.....

Here's a couple photos.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't wait till I can really handle him. I feel like after today it won't be long. He is stretched out behind my chair right now snoozing.

I want to groom him so bad. I want to brush him. I want to wash his face. I want to front line him. [Thank god we don't have fleas but there are ticks way out in the yard]...... but since it's summer I am compelled..... I want to give him his shot updates..... I keep the yard treated for ticks but one could always slip by.........

I am glad he is not exposed out there since he is confined to a particular area but I will feel better when he will let me handle him and do these things.

I just want to groom him so bad. I think he will enjoy being brushed. They all love it so much. Even my little wild star just collapses under the brush....

That's toe standing on the other side of my hand. He was sure he was missing out on some food.
============================
Speaking of food, my little girl "Flower" has lost about 3-4 lbs.. She is holding her own at this time due to deligence on my part. She is wormed and as far as I know very healthy. But the other cats have decided they hate her. They pick on her and keep her from eating. Since she perfers to be outside, I didnt' notice that she wasn't eating and she lost weight before I realized what was happening.. She is frail right now but on the mend. So I am feeding her separate and special food to fatten her up. I am also keeping all the cats off the bed at night except her. We are making her special and making sure all the other cats know it. She is afraid to even come in the living room. Tulip is the main culprit. He attacks her when ever he sees her... It has drained her emotionally.. I have started keeping food by the cat door for her and water as well so she won't have to come very far in the house to get a bite if she wants something in between her special feedings. We made her a special space in our closet that is hid from the other cats and she stays there when she is in the house. When I call her to eat she runs and gets in her separate place and gobbles her food up. The others do not have access to her when she eats. She has gained about 1 lb already. I went and got her some hard kitten food maxim and some iams canned kitty food since it has approx 300 calories per 6 oz. I am keeping her kitten chow out while she eats and feeding her one 6 oz can a day. I bought her 17 cans while ago... and 5 lbs of hard food... They did this to Pebbles as well when we first got her... But we got them over it by doing exactly the same things we are doing for Flower. Pebbles and Flower are full sisters by the way.... Flower has a loving little personality and is a meek kitty. She doesnt' fight back. She just gets cowed down.

I can already tell a difference in how several cats are relating to her based on how I am sheltering her. Sleeping in the bed with us gives her a little pull with them...The one exception is Cleo. She has always slept with me. And she is accepting of Flower being on our bed. There are only a few that even attempt to get on the bed with us. Cleo is in charge of that. I am telling Tulip NO when he tries to get her. IF someone jumps on the bed, I make them get down if Cleo doesn't and little Flower lays quiet and still with her little body pushed tight against me. I put my hand over her body and she lays quietly and knows I will protect her. She is terrified they are going to attack her.... I feel so guilty I did not notice this until she got skinny. I work and cant' watch them all the time.... This just slipped by me.... but she is doing better now.

I have never had this problem. She used to get along with all of them. But with Tulip being born and at an age where he is starting to grow up, he feels tough and is sowing his oats or something. So it appears he is taking the lead in this and the others are following or going along with it...

urmph.........that will stop....... He is already getting a little better but Flower is still afraid of him. We have a ways to go yet.

And also if anyone is interested, here is a link that lists calories for different kinds of cat foods.
http://www.geocities.com/jmpeerson/canfood.html

This page tells how to calculate the content of other cat foods.....
http://www.geocities.com/jmpeerson/foodfaq.html

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried holding a brush for him to sniff a scent mark? Pearl is my little scared baby, though she is much improved now. I held the brush out for her, and after a few minutes, she began brushing herself by rubbing against it. We did that for a little while and then she gradually let us brush her. She began advancing a lot closer to being petted and handled after that. She still likes me to hold the brush for her so she can brush her face and whiskers. We use a small, kind of stiff brush.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll try that tomorrow. ........... or tonight. Thanks for the tip.......... I always have my brush handy.........

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Flower feels good this morning. She was actually socializing with several other cats...... She loves the iams canned food...

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor little Flower.
It's not your fault, Jenn you can't have eyes everywhere.
Gracie is my meek baby, she got along so well with her Sister Lizzie and gets along with Annabelle.
It's Elliott who is trying hard to be Top Cat right now.
Annabelle won't take it, but Gracie is scared of him....he's about 15 pounds and she's 5 pounds.

We had this trouble a few months ago, but broke him of the habit and they were getting along fine, then we had to have Lizzie put to sleep...she was the Alpha cat...now Elliott is "trying" to take that spot over.
Annabelle's never going to let him, once she makes it very clear to Elliott that she's top cat things will be fine for Gracie.
Lizzie was Gracie's protector and I'm starting to see that now coming out in Annabelle...if Elliott picks on her it's Annabelle to the rescue

Elliott is sweet and loving to the human members of the family and he was great with Lizzie.
One thing I know for sure, when...I think it'll be soon we get another cat...it will be an older female.
No more male cats for me.
I won't have my girls bullied.

Now that I wrote a novel about me

I'm glad things are looking up for Flower and she's putting on weight...she know's her Mommy loves her and now it seems the other cats realize that you will not allow their bad behavior to continue.
You show them who's boss, Jenn

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad I am not the only one with male problems. The other others are so mellow. All the cats are mellow but it's like TesticleTulip came from another world.... He is an honery guy... It might have started out with him playing with her but she is tiny, he just got carried away and it went from there..... It might be a game to him but it's not to her.

She also weighs about 4-5 lbs and she is over a yr old. Her tail is the size of a pencil. It is the skinnest tail I have even seen. And she has short hair so that even makes her look smaller. We call her pencil tail sometimes. And we tell her not to worry that she is going to bloom and be a beautiful flower one day. Her name when we first got her was Rose but since she never bloomed we call her Flower and we are waiting on her petals to see what kind of flower she is............ hehe

And he is a solid 9 lb chunk of pure boy.... named Tulip...... and still growing. He is not a yr old.

Cleo is my dominate girl that they all listen to. She is the eldest female and we have had her the longest.... She takes no crap and usually protects the others if they get picked on...... She even kept JJ from attacking my dauchaund. Cleo and the dog sleep together even since Muffin was a tiny puppy. Cleo feels like her mom.....

But anyway, Flower looks better today...... I am fixing to feed her her evening meal now.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Flower is so funny. I was in the kitchen getting her meal ready with all the cats gathered around me begging for it..

When I carried it in the bedroom, Flower was in her crate waiting on her bowl..... She knows I was fixing her meal...... and she sure didn't want to miss it...

Now isn't that cute???? The other cats stand around her crate and stare...... wishing they were inside.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad Flower is looking better.

Aww, how cute that she went in her crate to get her supper...she knew it was for her.
Maybe that'll teach the other cats to lay off of her.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She came in the hall today when I fed the others. She is relaxing again.... I haven't seen Tulip being mean to her today. I am off work the next two day so I can "retrain" testicle tulip.....

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Flower actually came in the kitchen today while I made her breakfast. Out of the corner of my eye, I thought it was Star. When I went in the bedroom to feed Flower she came running from out of the kitchen........ She is coming back to being her old self now.

She is blooming....... I can see her petals this morning.. thank god.........

She is going to be fine.....

Juan is in georgia right now at his parents..... I miss his but it's nice to have a husband break too.... He'll be back Friday.