Jasper has difficulty peeing

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I honestly don't know for sure. His urine smelling strong is a concern for me. I think it would be a very good idea to call you're vet right away in the morning.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear that Jasper is having trouble. I think a UTI is likely. Beandip had a few good relapse free months before we moved last September. Then he had a return of his problems the day after the move.

Stress has an effect on the pH of the urine, too. Hopefully there will be no blockage.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

karabear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Jasper went back to the vet tonight. He stopped peeing altogether this afternoon but was in the litterbox every few minutes. He was also trying in random places, like the bathtub.
The vet examined him and said his bladder was not full but very hard. They are putting him on a stronger anti inflammatory and back on the valium and will monitor him over night.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear Jasper is having problems again. I know how frustrating UTIs and crystals can be. Hugs and get well soon vibes for Jasper.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear he's back at the vets!
Eventually he will get over this....and that is what makes all this worry & waiting worth it.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I'm sorry to hear he's back at the vets!
Eventually he will get over this....and that is what makes all this worry & waiting worth it.
There is hope for sure...I speak from experience. Hugs to you and Jasper. He's way too handsome to get sick. Tell him to hurry up and get better.

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry to hear that he is not well again, sending some get well vibes for him and some
for you.

karabear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This morning Jasper's bladder was full and he was not going to the litterbox so they put a cathedar in. The vets think he has some scar tissue and have suggested that we get the "sex change" surgery. I forget the technical name. He is scheduled for the surgery for Thursday morning and may come home Friday.
Does anyone have any experience with this surgery? What should we expect?

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pippin just had his Perineal Uresthrostomy today so I know what you're going through with Jasper. He MAY come home on Thursday, or he may be at the vet's all weekend. My vet told me that cats often have issues the 3rd or 4th day after surgery (if they get them at all) so it might be best to live him longer. You might want to ask your vet why he's being sent home so soon?
The estimate I got for the surgery was $649 not including the charge to unblock him or hospitalization. I was told he might have dribbling issues for a bit (but if he's in there all weekend that might have cleared up by the time he comes home). He's currently on a mild steroid for inflammation but they are weaning him off that as it keeps the healing process from progressing. He's also on pain meds, an IV, antibiotics and valium to keep him from getting the urethral spasms again.
I hope that this surgery works out well as I'm very worried about him. I hope Jasper's goes well too!!!

It's so hard to watch them sick and in pain isn't it?
(

Devlyn

karabear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We are thinking about asking them if he can stay in longer because of all the problems that happened last time he came home with his stitches coming apart. But the vet says he will get better quicker if he is home. But as we are in a new place, he might actually be more comfortable there. He has been there s much! I think we will ask that he stay until Saturday.

The price that was quoted to us a few weeks ago was 500. But I don't think we will have to pay much for it as our vet gave us a credit for the emergency vet care Jasper needed when his stitches came apart.

Right now he is on valium and an anti-inflammatory.

Its is very hard to watch him go through this. Especially because we can't explain to him what is going on and he can't tell us what hurts.

Thank you everyone for your well wishes

karabear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Jasper had his surgery this morning. It took over 3 hours to complete. The PU part went well. The vet had a bad feeling about the previous surgery so she opened that up as well. There was a large ball in this area. The fat here had changed. She had a term for it but I forget. Basically his fat had turned and became hard. The fat had also bonded to the side of his spleen. So she removed a lot of fat.

She also asked if we minded if he stayed in longer. She thought we want him home as soon as possible. I said we wanted him to stay in there as long as possible! So he will be there until at least Monday. If his sutures go again like the last time, thats it, so we for sure want him there where he can't run and jump around.

I just went to see him. Besides shivering, he was purring away, only an hour after the surgery. What a trooper! They have heat packs in with him to keep him warm and have constructed a tent with blankets around his cage to make him feel safer.

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad Jasper is doing better and had the surgery. Pippin took a turn for the worse this morning and they had to re-open him. He had urine leaking out below the urethral opening. The vet found that the lip of the urethra had slipped in under the skin and was leaking into the void below. That's been fixed and I feel better now.
I think it's a great idea to leave Jasper there until at least Monday. BTW, I grew up in NB. Small world eh?

Devlyn

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just read all through this post - I had looked before but had no advice so remained a 'lurker'. I do hope all cats mentioned get well soon - it is really scary to see what can happen and to know what you have had to deal with. Poor Jasper especially has been through a huge amount! But there is so much information in here, and I am grateful for it as Wellington had surgery tonight to clear a blockage. I will know more details in the morning but at least I now can ask some intelligent questions. Good vibes to everyone.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's good to hear that Jasper's surgery went well. I hope he continues to improve.

Healing thoughts and vibes to Pippen and Wellington also. I hope both of them do well after surgery. More hugs to all.

karabear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Devlyn, How is Pippin doing?

Jasper was suppose to come home yesterday but we are a bit scared so we asked if he can stay a few more days. If he comes home, he will be jumping up on the window sills and that makes me very nervous!

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pippin is scheduled to come home today at 5:30 so I'm pretty excited. I missed my boy but I am glad they kept him so long and got him well on his road to recovery. I will be confining him to a large dog kennel that is backed up to a covered litter box. I only hope that he can get in the box with his silly e-collar on lol!
I, too, am worried about him jumping on stuff and being too active and hurting himself. With the pain meds and the e-collar I expect he'll be pretty clumsy.
From what they are telling me, he is peeing in his box and not dribbling anymore, but I will find out for sure from the vet this afternoon.

Thanks for the concern and I hope Jasper is doing well enough to come home soon.

Devlyn

karabear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We are planning on taking Jasper home this Friday. The vet says he is well enough to come home now but she understands our request to have him stay longer. Yesterday when I went in for a visit, they let us have the run of their back rooms so he could get some exercise. We went exploring and even played with a mousie for a bit. Anytime the staff would walk by, they would stop and give him a little pat. They have taken such good care of him. HIs stomach looks great, better than the last surgery. His other incisions don't look as nice as there is still a bit of blood in the area. He is dripping but it is no longer bloody.

I'm glad to hear that Pippin is coming home!