Jasmine, the stray who is obsessed by her babies and won't leave them

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mimiaow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet did blood work on Jasmine. Her levels were all over the place. She is still there. She's done nursing even if she does make it. They kept asking me if she ate a plant or food I give her meds but no no no. I've been so careful. Then they told me one of their regular foster came in and took the babies. I'm so sad. I can't stop crying. I feel like I failed. At least the babies are safe and healthy.

mimiaow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet doesn't know what's causing her to seizure like

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I hope Jasmine will make it. So sad she has to be separated from her babies so soon. At least the babies are together and will get proper care. It does not sound as though you failed at all! Please do not blame yourself. And you got her to a place where she could be helped and have checked up on her. God bless! Please give us updates on Jasmine if you can.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am very sorry this is happening, please do not blame yourself, for these past few weeks she had a home and had her kittens, she knows they are safe, even with the rescue. Right now, I am sure they are doing all they can for her. 

mimiaow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It just seemed that the shelter lady was almost blaming me!  Did I give her flea meds? No.  Did she eat a plant?  No.  Was there anything else? NO!  She was in heat yesterday, but it was not abnormal.  I woke up this morning and she was nuts!  So when did you notice?  THIS Morning! When I came out there she was nursing the babies.  Then she told me to bring her in.  When I came home to get her, she was having seizures and seizures!  Her temp was 107!  Then she told me I should have taken her to the emergency vet sooner!  But if she's a foster, I have to bring her to the apl first!  I can't take her to the emergency vet and pay for it!  The apl is paying for it.  It's $100 just to walk in the door! 

I'm hoping it is a chemical imbalance.  They have her on IVs and meds to stop the seizures.    She is done nursing even if she recovers since they've given her meds now.  They said her calcium levels were low and that was probably from nursing. 

I went back to check on the babies and they gave them away to a foster without even calling me!  I was crying so hard.  I tried so hard to foster.  The kittens are healthy.  She checked them all out.  But I miss the babies.  They could have at least called me.  I might have taken them home.  

I've been crying all day.  My eyes hurt and my head hurts.    

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Awww. No matter what, you did everything you were told to do. And I agree that it sounds like an issue brought on by hormones and nursing. It sounds as though she is getting better for now. Wish they had let you take the babies home too. It was just all too sudden. Please don't blame yourself at all. These things happen. Try to get some rest now if you can.

mimiaow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
edited to say that sadly, the vet had to put Jasmine down.  I feel so sad.  It wasn't eclampsia.  She just wouldn't stop having seizures.  The vet wouldn't say what happened to her.  She said based on the blood work, it was a 'secondary issue'.  What the heck does that mean???

Last edited:

mimiaow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm going to call the apl in the morning and find out what the blood work said. 

Heck, I used unscented clay litter and not even fabric softener sheets in the dryer for the bedding.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry. You have condolences. Run free sweet Jasmine. I do think the rescue/foster center has treated you badly. I hope you can at least get closure. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am so sorry for Jasmine. I believe that means that she had something else wrong with her. I re-read this thread from about 3 weeks ago until today, and it appeared that Jasmine had an issue early on. We talked about it being maybe just adjustment, but clearly, looking back, there was another issue.

I think we are lucky that Jasmine remained healthy enough to deliver her litter and nurse them for 4 weeks. Sigh. Something just went wrong from the demands of childbirth and nursing on such a young cat. I feel low about this myself now. I was rooting for her. I am going to shed a few tears now too. The rainbow bridge just welcomed another kitten. Rest in peace, Jasmine.

mimiaow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, mama was never really right, but I had never been around a mama cat and kittens.  I didn't know if it was normal most of the time.  Evidently, there were more issues beyond my scope of handling it. 

Yesterday she was all affectionate.  Then I made her go in the cage with the kittens last night.  I wonder if she bammed her head against the cage wall too many times trying to get out?  Head trauma? 

I'm glad the babies are with someone else tonight because I would be too sad.

I think the shelter lady is very pragmatic.  They can't show emotion because they would be a mess like me all the time.  She did hug me this morning when I first went out there.  I just want to know what it was and I'll call tomorrow and post here.

I won't be able to adopt one of the babies because I would always think of the mama. 

Heck, I'm going to have a hard time adopting any cats from now on.  I have my three babies with me. 

If/when I find out what happened, I'll post here. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would be curious to know. It's possible something happened inside the cage, but I truly believe she had other issues from what you said over the last 3 weeks. I hope you get an answer. Hang in there!

tsukiyomi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

It just seemed that the shelter lady was almost blaming me!  Did I give her flea meds? No.  Did she eat a plant?  No.  Was there anything else? NO!  She was in heat yesterday, but it was not abnormal.  I woke up this morning and she was nuts!  So when did you notice?  THIS Morning! When I came out there she was nursing the babies.  Then she told me to bring her in.  When I came home to get her, she was having seizures and seizures!  Her temp was 107!  Then she told me I should have taken her to the emergency vet sooner!  But if she's a foster, I have to bring her to the apl first!  I can't take her to the emergency vet and pay for it!  The apl is paying for it.  It's $100 just to walk in the door! 

I'm hoping it is a chemical imbalance.  They have her on IVs and meds to stop the seizures.    She is done nursing even if she recovers since they've given her meds now.  They said her calcium levels were low and that was probably from nursing. 

I went back to check on the babies and they gave them away to a foster without even calling me!  I was crying so hard.  I tried so hard to foster.  The kittens are healthy.  She checked them all out.  But I miss the babies.  They could have at least called me.  I might have taken them home.  

I've been crying all day.  My eyes hurt and my head hurts.    
I'm sorry to hear all these horrible things happened Mimiaow.

Yes, mama was never really right, but I had never been around a mama cat and kittens.  I didn't know if it was normal most of the time.  Evidently, there were more issues beyond my scope of handling it. 

Yesterday she was all affectionate.  Then I made her go in the cage with the kittens last night.  I wonder if she bammed her head against the cage wall too many times trying to get out?  Head trauma? 

I'm glad the babies are with someone else tonight because I would be too sad.

I think the shelter lady is very pragmatic.  They can't show emotion because they would be a mess like me all the time.  She did hug me this morning when I first went out there.  I just want to know what it was and I'll call tomorrow and post here.

I won't be able to adopt one of the babies because I would always think of the mama. 

Heck, I'm going to have a hard time adopting any cats from now on.  I have my three babies with me. 

If/when I find out what happened, I'll post here. 
Sorry to hear about all this it is sad. As for the thinking of the one lost that is normal originally when Tsuki died everytime I would look at Sera it would eat me alive because I kept thinking of her sister who I couldn't save. Though the situations maybe different in that I adopted both of them a few months before Tsuki passed it does fade with time and you realize you did everything you could and it stops eating at you the desire to protect the living and others increases. I hope this didn't just sound like random nonsense and made some sense.

dream

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh goodness me, well atleast you did all you could. I hole Jasmine and babies are doing well. I'll be checking back to see what happens with these guys!

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know that grief is a very hard thing to get through, please give it a little time and see, you might change your mind about adopting one of her kittens. I lost one of my colony cats and before he was neutered he did get around, so I have a few of his kittens, which are grown now and they all resemble him very much in one way or another, in one way it is sad but in another, it gives me a little peace knowing, that he knew his family would be cared for and so was he. I know Jasmine knew the same thing. 

I've had ferals be trying to wreck the cages and they never did get any head trauma, a few scrapes, cuts but nothing major.

For the shelter lady, I think she's learned to build a wall around her heart as she's seen too much. For me, I never would, I'd rather have known them and loved them, than rather not ever known them at all. I do hope you can take comfort in knowing that for her last few weeks, she had a home, was loved and so were her kittens.

mimiaow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for that, Nansiludie! 

Okay, so I talked to the apl lady.  First off, she said that the vet just could not get her glucose levels to stop spiking.  Even if they could have gotten the seizures under control, she would have never been the same.  She did think it started with eclampsia, but just got really bad so fast.  Cats are funny animals.  They keep stuff inside and then one day, bam.  She said that yesterday I told her she was pragmatic, but she really loves the animals and she was actually crying while talking to me.  We had a nice long talk.  She had to make the decision to put her down and we all know it was for the best.  She told me I did a wonderful job with the kittens!  She said there eyes are bright, their coats are shiny, and they are a good weight, and none show any signs of a URI or anything!  She said the foster mom doesn't work and has teens at home so the kittens will get all the attention and care they will need.  When they come in for deworming and shots and weights, she will let me know how they are doing.  I have to email with her.  Anyway, after the talk, I feel much better.  I know it was nothing I did.  If those kittens had been born outside, they would not have had a chance.  Now they are going to have a good shot at a good long life.

Will I adopt one (or two)?  I don't know right now.  I have time to decide.  Thing is, I have my three cats.  Pets are expensive.  I have to be financially responsible.  I don't know if I can afford more pets right now. 

RIP sweet Jasmine.  She was a sweet, sweet mama. 

Thanks for being here for me over the past few weeks.   I needed help and guidance and people to talk to about kittens.  It's been a great help to me.

When I figure out if I'm going to adopt a kitten, I will post about it.  Also, I like this forum and will be posting in other threads because Cat People Rule!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That was beautifully spoken!

You have many weeks to decide about a kitten adoption. You can always post about the cats you have now too!

And thanks for the update on Jasmine, the kittens, and the lady at the shelter. So glad your spirits are lifted! :)

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
It is good that you were able to talk again with the woman at APL and feel more positive about everything you did for Jasmine and her kittens.   It must have meant a great deal to be reassured you had done such a wonderful job and to hear how healthy the kittens look.  For sure they would not have been this healthy if Jasmine had not shown the sense to have them in your loving home.   I hope you continue to receive updates on how the kittens are, and with time think about whether you want to add to your existing cat family on a permanent basis.     Please do stay with us here on TCS and start to introduce us to your other cats.

The TCS team would like you to know that we are so very sorry for your loss. Threads are locked after someone has suffered such a loss, as a sign of respect. We invite you to place a tribute at   http://www.thecatsite.com/f/19/crossing-the-bridge  as an enduring testimony to Jasmine if you feel you would like to share more about her.

This thread is now locked.   Run free and play in the long grass across the RB young Jasmine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.