Jasmine, the stray who is obsessed by her babies and won't leave them

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

mimiaow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I signed them over to the APL,but brought them home with me.  Now they are responsible for any health needs.  Deworming, shots, spay/neutering, food, litter, what ever I need as long as I bring her back.  There are two boys and two girls.  So I get to name them.  The little black kitty will be Elizabeth aka Black Betty.  The first picture is Betty purring and nursing on Mama J.   Jasmine peed big time in the carrier on the way to the APL.  The vet tech says she needs to drink more water.  Heck it's right there.  We think she is around 10 months old.  Poor little baby had babies.

Here is my little Charlotte (yeah so what she's royal).

Here are the brothers.  Should I name them William and Harry?

Mama J needed a break, but in reality, she needed to poop big time, which she just did in the litter box!  Hooray.

So, Yes, I am supposed to keep them for 8 weeks.  However, I have a problem.  I have company coming from out of town in 7 weeks and the kitties are in my guest room. 

I was not expecting to keep them that long.  The APL has a LOT of cats right now.  It's a no kill shelter.  They said that she and babies will all find homes quickly. 

beautifuleyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are all so adorable! And I think William and Harry are great names for the boys. By the time they are 7 weeks they will be so active and adaptable that you will be able to move them wherever is convenient for you while your guests are there.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She just sounds like a very stressed little mom. And poor Jasmine, she does indeed look very young. On the bright side, she'll hopefully get a great forever home, and neither she nor the kittens will ever go through this again.

By the time your guests come, the kittens will be busy exploring and can easily stay in a different room that weekend. The quiet and privacy will be less of an imperative by then.

I hope all continues to go well, and that you can relax a bit now too. You are performing a valuable service! Thank you for caring for this little family! :)

mimiaow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i don't really want them to have the run of the house though.  The guest room is really the only place and the kennel take up a third of the room.  We'll have to see what to do.

I also have to think about my kitties.   I have the 18 year old princess and then the two 11 year old boys.  So far, they have been indifferent towards the possibility there is a cat in the spare room. 

Spot knows there is a cat and Jasmine and he have looked at each other.  Sammy is a bit curious and Missy is still clueless.

Missy is my avatar.  Can you guess which cat is Spot and which is Sammy, lol?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good looking cats there! :)

You've got a few weeks to find a solution for that weekend. Things have a way of working out how they are supposed to! :)

mimiaow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Jasmine used the litter box twice all on her own.  I think she finally does have it figured out.

Those soft little babies are opening their little eyes.  So precious.

I asked my friend, who is coming up next month about the cats and maybe I can turn them in a week early and she said NOOOOOO she wants to see them.  lol so problem solved.

mimiaow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh the babies are getting cuter each day!  They have their eyes open. 

Jasmine was outside the kitten box eating some food, and Betty had her little self pulled up the side of the box and kept poking at Mama J as if to say, "Mom, mom, mom, mom, mom", and Jasmine looked at her and Betty said 'mew' (hi).

Betty is becoming my favorite.  If I end up keeping her, I will have to change her name to Lizzy because my sister really wants to name a black cat Betty.    I don't want to take that away from her, which it would.

beautifuleyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
See how easy it is for them to steal your heart as they develop their own little personalities. Please post some new pictures. I would love to watch them grow with you!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Awww, love hearing this! They love their mommy so much! Too cute! Pictures would be wonderful. :)

mimiaow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I got one picture for you.  I need to take more.  They are moving much more.

Mama J looks like she is over it.  Such a good mom.  She is getting back to normal.  Came out of the cage this morning and stretched her legs and scratched the carpet. 

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She looks so content with her paws tucked under herself! Kittens are growing! Jasmine sounds like she is totally relaxing into her new role! Glad to hear!

mimiaow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Jasmine is worn out!  The poor thing.  I feel bad keeping her in the kennel.  She is not getting much exercise.  I leave the cage open, and she comes out, but she was always one who was very active and like to sit on top of one of my sheds.  She eats a lot.  Every time her food bowl is empty, I fill it back up. 

This morning when I went in the room, I said, "Hi Babies!"  They all went mew mew mew mew.

mimiaow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I called the APL while I was home at lunch.  While I was talking to the vet tech, Jasmine peed in the litter box.  She only had taken a few bites of the food from this morning.  This morning I put gourmet grill in there instead of the chicken flavor so maybe she doesn't like it.  She's just so darn skinny.

Vet Tech (VT) says if she doesn't eat by tomorrow to bring her in for them to check.  It's not very convenient to do that. 

Tonight, I'll give her the chicken flavor and change the bedding and leave the cage door open. 

I'm not making a good connection with this mama.  The little black kitten, though....such a cute lil monkey.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cats can be very finicky about their food. If you find a flavor she likes, maybe stick with it. Does she have kitten chow to munch on at all times? And maybe some kitten milk to lap? I hope she will begin to eat better for you.

mimiaow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i bought some KMR.  It's expensive, but she lapped it up.  I gave her some again this morning.  She ate the food I thought she didn't like, lol.  i also gave her another bowl of wet chicken food. 

The apl gave me Kitten Chow, but she won't touch it.  So, I put some Fancy Feast dry down.  And she has water, of course, and I change the water twice a day. 

At least she peed and pooped for me. 

She does look exhausted.  This morning, a couple of the kittens had pooh on their fur.  I cleaned them off. 

I left the kennel open while I got ready for work and when I went in there before I left, she was laying in the kitten box and the kits were nursing. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The KMR is expensive, but filled with nutrients. Glad she liked it and is eating more wet food. Good to hear she's nursing the kittens well too. And peeing and pooping. It's a big job, and it sounds like she's doing her best.

You're doing great too! Thanks for the report! :)

mimiaow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay so tomorrow they will be 3 weeks old.

From what I've been reading, between 3-4 weeks, I need to start making a shallow bowl of water available and start making kitten mush. 

Lord give me strength!  This is going to be a lot of work.

I notice Jasmine doesn't want to be locked up with the kittens now.  So, I'm thinking it is time to introduce the water and mush.  Their little legs get stronger every day.  I'm waiting for one of them to get out of the kitten box.  Their bedding is getting messier and messier.  I'm doing a lot of laundry.

I intend to take more pictures tonight.

Last edited:

mimiaow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

here is a short one minute video of the kittens I took yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.