Jack (RB) will be home for Christmas

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With life being just scattered since his death in October, I haven't been able to go get his ashes. Dignified Pet Services just called again and reminded me they still have his ashes. I called back and asked to have them sent to Dove Lewis, where he was put to sleep. DPS is hard for me to get to, since I don't have a car. So, they go to Dove Lewis at least 4 times a week, and will have him there well before Christmas... and I can walk over there and pick him up.

And I hope my SS (Rianna) won't mind, but I'm going to use the picture box she gave me (with his pictures she put in the lid) as his urn. It's a perfectly appropriate place for him. At least for now, until I can get him into a real metal urn. It's just not something I can afford right now. I have regular expenses to deal with. The girls come first, though... I'll deal with pantry-diving for dinner in order for them to eat what they need. Good thing I was raised to always have a well-stocked kitchen. (I'm just seriously craving orange juice right now... a couple more days... then I can get some)

I know I don't post much about my ups and downs over here... I use Facebook for that... (Portia just ran past me like a bat outta he**) But I know I can count on you guys for moral support over feline stuff. I felt it was appropriate to say something about this here. It'll be good to have my baby boy
home.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww hun, so sorry again for your loss. I am glad that you will get him home for christmas.I can sympathise with money issues, times are hard. I haven't got much to spare but if you want Jack in an urn then I wouldn't mind donating to get you one for him if anyone else agrees? I am in uk so someone would near you would have to organise it and get it to you and perhaps donate by paypal? I know you didn't post for that reason but as its comin upto christmas and things have happened in my life lately that remind me that people are so precious to us.Jack deserves a proper resting place.
xxx

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That one is similar to what I'd considered. It's okay, really. My financial issues are related to mostly adjusting to a once a month payday from twice a month. Between that and not getting an advance on my student loan before Christmas... after the first of the year, I can do something, it's just those in between periods are a royal pain.

I'm happy with waiting. I've waited in getting his ashes back. Literally, the week I had to put him to sleep was when I interviewed for the current job, then i got it, did all the transitioning, sorting out what the heck my job was (created for me), dealing with school... I have friends who ask me how I manage to juggle everything in my life... I never know how to answer that... I just DO. Sometimes not as well as others. Those who see my wall on FB know all too well my down times. Just like the day my SS package arrived. I'd been kept awake most of the night before with a fire alarm, then a power outage (and the generator kicking in to keep the hallway lights on in the buildings... all. night. long.), then getting up the next day (the day my package arrived) to find that my primary computer was having problems, and the external HD I have *everything* on isn't turning on... so with everything else... that piled on. Getting the box that evening just made everything else go away for a short time.

I hate being the charity case to people. I do. It's one thing when it's family helping, but friends... 'strangers' ... I hate it. heck, I don't even take food stamps (although I'm really tempted right now, but it wouldn't kick in for a while), because it just feels weird.

Sorry, this is turning into a book of gushing about how things have been. Like I said, those who see my stuff on FB know about a lot of this... I'm always torn between being the vocal one about life in general (therapy!) and how I was raised (keep 'yer mouth shut about personal things). Let's just say that if my mother were of sound mind and knew what all I vent about on FB... my hide would be skidding across the continent of North America.

Okay, I'm gonna go shut up now... this should be about Jack... not me.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it might help you when you get Jack's ashes home. I felt a little better when we finally got
Lynxx's
ashes here. It did help being able to bring him back home.

rianna

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm glad the photo box will have a good use. Jack was a very special cat that I had always enjoyed reading about.

I hope things start looking brighter for you. I'm so happy that your SS package was able to cheer you up when you needed it.

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You will feel better when you get the ashes. When I got Boomer back I felt a bit better. The place was really great to me. They gave me a card with a very nice inscription and his paw print as well as a plaster "ornament" with his paw print.

If there is anything I can do to help...shoot me a pm or maybe we can be friends on facebook.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

That one is similar to what I'd considered. It's okay, really. My financial issues are related to mostly adjusting to a once a month payday from twice a month. Between that and not getting an advance on my student loan before Christmas... after the first of the year, I can do something, it's just those in between periods are a royal pain.

I'm happy with waiting. I've waited in getting his ashes back. Literally, the week I had to put him to sleep was when I interviewed for the current job, then i got it, did all the transitioning, sorting out what the heck my job was (created for me), dealing with school... I have friends who ask me how I manage to juggle everything in my life... I never know how to answer that... I just DO. Sometimes not as well as others. Those who see my wall on FB know all too well my down times. Just like the day my SS package arrived. I'd been kept awake most of the night before with a fire alarm, then a power outage (and the generator kicking in to keep the hallway lights on in the buildings... all. night. long.), then getting up the next day (the day my package arrived) to find that my primary computer was having problems, and the external HD I have *everything* on isn't turning on... so with everything else... that piled on. Getting the box that evening just made everything else go away for a short time.

I hate being the charity case to people. I do. It's one thing when it's family helping, but friends... 'strangers' ... I hate it. heck, I don't even take food stamps (although I'm really tempted right now, but it wouldn't kick in for a while), because it just feels weird.

Sorry, this is turning into a book of gushing about how things have been. Like I said, those who see my stuff on FB know about a lot of this... I'm always torn between being the vocal one about life in general (therapy!) and how I was raised (keep 'yer mouth shut about personal things). Let's just say that if my mother were of sound mind and knew what all I vent about on FB... my hide would be skidding across the continent of North America.

Okay, I'm gonna go shut up now... this should be about Jack... not me.
Ok hunny,hey it wasn't charity really, you could have looked at it as a christmas present from TCS for you and Jack. I respect your decision, I would feel a bit funny too accepting "charity" but we're all good friends on here. The picture box is a lovely idea until you do get the urn. I'm sure you will feel a bit better when you get Jack home. If you do change your mind just say so hun, if not then like I said I respect your decision.xxx

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for taking so long to reply... the internet went down last night in the building.... and for someone like me who does so much tied to the internet...

Originally Posted by zohdee

You will feel better when you get the ashes. When I got Boomer back I felt a bit better. The place was really great to me. They gave me a card with a very nice inscription and his paw print as well as a plaster "ornament" with his paw print.

If there is anything I can do to help...shoot me a pm or maybe we can be friends on facebook.
Both Dove Lewis (where I took him to cross the RB) sent a condolence card as well as a card with his paw prints and a snippet of his fur in a little ziploc baggie. I have those tucked away... the vet who first saw him when he was sick also sent me a card. Everyone in the office signed it. He was in so much pain that night when they saw him (mind, you, this was the first time they ever saw him), but they fell in love with him despite the pain he was in. He was a belly rub cat, hence my name on here. When I brought Portia home, I was surprised that being home less than 6 hours, she flopped over onto her back and let me rub HER belly. I think it was a sign of acceptance from her, but also a sign from Jack...

Originally Posted by Ruthyb

Ok hunny,hey it wasn't charity really, you could have looked at it as a christmas present from TCS for you and Jack. I respect your decision, I would feel a bit funny too accepting "charity" but we're all good friends on here. The picture box is a lovely idea until you do get the urn. I'm sure you will feel a bit better when you get Jack home. If you do change your mind just say so hun, if not then like I said I respect your decision.xxx
If you put it that way.... I just get weird sometimes... Esp. recently. I had two people at our convention buy things for me.... I didn't ask for them to do that. It was a really bad weekend for me. So, still struggling with that. I'm just not used to people offering to help. I'm usually the one helping others. You could ask my best friend... she's known me since we were 9 (almost 30 years now), and I always bought stuff for her and for things we did, never expecting to be paid back. In retail, I always bent over backwards to make sure my customers got what they needed... sometimes to the ire of our floor managers...

If others (and I think I saw one other on here who said she was up for helping), then i see nothing wrong with it... I'll try not to think of it as charity but as a gift for Jack... thank you... I'm just not used to receiving... always giving... Thank you.

Amanda

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Sorry for taking so long to reply... the internet went down last night in the building.... and for someone like me who does so much tied to the internet...

Both Dove Lewis (where I took him to cross the RB) sent a condolence card as well as a card with his paw prints and a snippet of his fur in a little ziploc baggie. I have those tucked away... the vet who first saw him when he was sick also sent me a card. Everyone in the office signed it. He was in so much pain that night when they saw him (mind, you, this was the first time they ever saw him), but they fell in love with him despite the pain he was in. He was a belly rub cat, hence my name on here. When I brought Portia home, I was surprised that being home less than 6 hours, she flopped over onto her back and let me rub HER belly. I think it was a sign of acceptance from her, but also a sign from Jack...

If you put it that way.... I just get weird sometimes... Esp. recently. I had two people at our convention buy things for me.... I didn't ask for them to do that. It was a really bad weekend for me. So, still struggling with that. I'm just not used to people offering to help. I'm usually the one helping others. You could ask my best friend... she's known me since we were 9 (almost 30 years now), and I always bought stuff for her and for things we did, never expecting to be paid back. In retail, I always bent over backwards to make sure my customers got what they needed... sometimes to the ire of our floor managers...

If others (and I think I saw one other on here who said she was up for helping), then i see nothing wrong with it... I'll try not to think of it as charity but as a gift for Jack... thank you... I'm just not used to receiving... always giving... Thank you.

Amanda
I'm pretty much the same, I love helping others and then if someone offers to help me I get a bit gobsmacked and feel its not right somehow. Well I'm not sure how to sort it out? Maybe if I start a seperate thread we could come to some arrangement?. How much was the urn that you saw?It would be easier if you could get it as postage would prob be alot if I sent it you and you obviously have one in mind.just need to know who else would be willing to help and this is a gift for Jack, we all know how much you loved and cared for him.xx

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm pretty much the same, I love helping others and then if someone offers to help me I get a bit gobsmacked and feel its not right somehow. Well I'm not sure how to sort it out? Maybe if I start a seperate thread we could come to some arrangement?. How much was the urn that you saw?It would be easier if you could get it as postage would prob be alot if I sent it you and you obviously have one in mind.just need to know who else would be willing to help and this is a gift for Jack, we all know how much you loved and cared for him.xx
The place Jack was cremated at is Dignified Pet Services in Tualatin, OR. They have urns and such. That's where I was looking at them, on their website.

This one is the one I was looking at in slate and pewter (I'm a silver kind of girl, hate brass). It costs extra to personalize... yikes! I had no clue when I was looking at them before. They also have something similar to what you posted, as well as a heart shaped one with the paw prints on top. You guys can decide through PM or whatever... I'd had a hard time deciding between that one, the heart shaped one and a 'service urn' they also carry that has an RB saying on it. I know DPS has my info and currently has Jack's ashes, but they'll be delivering them to Dove Lewis sometime this week. I don't know how detailed their records are.

I don't know how you'd go about it... I know they do internet orders. They may also have all my information. I know they have my name and number in their records. I guess if anyone wishes to pitch in, they can PM you... or if someone stateside wants to take the lead... I look at all of their options and still can't decide... sometimes I can make up my mind, others... ehh, not so much.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

So if she lives in the USA, it should be purchased and shipped from within. Same with Canada.
Yup. In Oregon. I just posted links to the place that cremated Jack. They're local, but difficult for me to get to (or I would've picked him up ages ago). They have urns and various other things... I posted a link to the one I'd nearly decided on, but then couldn't afford due to bills needing to be paid.

Amanda

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The place Jack was cremated at is Dignified Pet Services in Tualatin, OR. They have urns and such. That's where I was looking at them, on their website.

This one is the one I was looking at in slate and pewter (I'm a silver kind of girl, hate brass). It costs extra to personalize... yikes! I had no clue when I was looking at them before. They also have something similar to what you posted, as well as a heart shaped one with the paw prints on top. You guys can decide through PM or whatever... I'd had a hard time deciding between that one, the heart shaped one and a 'service urn' they also carry that has an RB saying on it. I know DPS has my info and currently has Jack's ashes, but they'll be delivering them to Dove Lewis sometime this week. I don't know how detailed their records are.

I don't know how you'd go about it... I know they do internet orders. They may also have all my information. I know they have my name and number in their records. I guess if anyone wishes to pitch in, they can PM you... or if someone stateside wants to take the lead... I look at all of their options and still can't decide... sometimes I can make up my mind, others... ehh, not so much.
That is really nice hun, for the small one in slate & pewter and with personalisation its $100. I really don't think that's bad, hat did you want putting on it?. I can donate £20, not sure what that is in dollars?? I could order it as it doesn't matter as I'm just going to get it sent to you anyway so I don't suppose it matters who does it or if someone else wants to thats fine too, I have a spare paypal account that I don't use so I could use that or if anyone else has a better idea let me know. Whoever else would like to help please PM me, we've had our SS so this is our gift to Jack
.xx

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That is really nice hun, for the small one in slate & pewter and with personalisation its $100. I really don't think that's bad, hat did you want putting on it?. I can donate £20, not sure what that is in dollars??
I did the currency exchange on the one you posted... it would be 100 without personalization... 20 pounds comes to roughly 31 American. At least that's what my converter thing on my computer says...

I don't know how long the line of personalization can be... but ideally it would be: Jack 2002-2010

He had just turned 8 years.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That is really nice hun, for the small one in slate & pewter and with personalisation its $100. I really don't think that's bad, hat did you want putting on it?. I can donate £20, not sure what that is in dollars?? I could order it as it doesn't matter as I'm just going to get it sent to you anyway so I don't suppose it matters who does it or if someone else wants to thats fine too, I have a spare paypal account that I don't use so I could use that or if anyone else has a better idea let me know. Whoever else would like to help please PM me, we've had our SS so this is our gift to Jack
.xx

I did the currency exchange on the one you posted... it would be 100 without personalization... 20 pounds comes to roughly 31 American. At least that's what my converter thing on my computer says...

I don't know how long the line of personalization can be... but ideally it would be: Jack 2002-2010

He had just turned 8 years.
I can donate $50.00 US and have Ruthyb order it. If it's being ordered online, where the person lives who does the ordering shouldn't matter, unless they have a restriction on the web site.

You should pick out the Urn that you want. So far as personalization goes, there is usually no limit on the number of characters/lines that can be engraved. What you suggest "Jack 2002 - 2010" should be on 2 lines IMHO.

EDIT: I just noticed that they do have a limit on the amount that can be engraved, and it has to be on a single line.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

That's it? I thought they were more expensive. I can get that for you. If anyone wants to contribute, perhaps they can make a donation in memory of Jack to their local animal shelter and post that they did so here

Please pick out the Urn you want, what you want engraved on it and send me a PM with your name and phone number. I'll call them tomorrow and arrange for it to be engraved and shipped to you.
There are some that are way more... like the marble ones and the figurine ones (one of which made me cry, don't need that!), but simple and elegant... like the sleek kitty monster he was... although he had plenty of inelegant times... he was a dork.. takes after Meowmy that way.

I just posted what I would want on it. the slate and pewter. I don't know what size, as I don't know how much he was in ashes. they would know. I think they're all the same price no matter the size.

Donations to your local rescues/shelters would be great for those who wish to. If someone in upstate NY wants to donate, I adopted him from a private rescue network there. I still have their card... folks can PM me about them.

Amanda