I've got to have thyroid surgery

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all, I have been to see my consultant again after my ultrasound, for those of you who don't know I have a multinodular goiter on my right side, well it has to be just on my right side as I found out at my ultrasound that I only have half a thyroid?? goodness knows why this is
Also my thyroid is full of cysts, the doctor who did the ultrasound told me that they all look benign to him and he wasn't worried and my thyroid function is normal even though I have been so ill.
My consultant told me today that he would rather remove almost all of my thyroid just to be on the safe side and so that I shouldn't hopefully get any problems in the future. He is going to try and leave a small bit so that I don't have to take thyroxine but he said it depends on how damaged it is. I will get a letter soon giving me my pre-op and op date, it will be in April. I am happy in a way but also really worried, I suffer from anxiety anyway and I am petrified, mainly of being put to sleep.The consultant said that this was perfectly normal and he would help me all he can.
Also I had a phone call after all this time today about the cat line operator job that I applied for with the Cats Protection League and I have had to put this off until after m operation :-( I am gutted but the lady was very nice and understanding, she gave me her home phone number and told me to give her a call when I had recovered.
There is also so much I am worried about, we really cannot afford for my husband to take time off for my recovery and he needs to do this as I have 3 children, I am just a worrier and I know it could be alot worse. xx

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope it goes well. But look at the bright side of this. You have a diagnosis and a doctor who is doing something to treat it. With luck treatment works and you get to feeling a lot better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankyou, has anyone on here had thyroid surgery and could offer me a bit of advice? I know hundreds of people every day have surgery but I am such a scaredy cat, mostly as my hubbys nan never came round properely ter her surgery, I know it was a totally different situation but my anxiety makes me feel so badly of things. x

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are going to take it out without ever doing a biopsy? I would get a second opinion hon.
I too am dealing with the Multinodular goiter.Mine biggest nodule is 1.1cm on the left side.Right side of my thyroid is 4cm,and the left is 5cm.
I have had 2 biopsys now to see if the nodules are Cancer or not.Unfortunatly for me, they have only gotten blood and VERY few cells.Not enough to diagnos.
My Endo REFUSED to do the surgury UNTIL I had those biopsys done.I go talk to her on the 25th of this month. We are going to talk about removing my Thyroid.She won't be the one to remove it--but will send me to talk to a surgeon about it.
PM me if you want to hon!! I too suffer from panic attacks and depression--so I know where you're coming from.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

They are going to take it out without ever doing a biopsy? I would get a second opinion hon.
I too am dealing with the Multinodular goiter.Mine biggest nodule is 1.1cm on the left side.Right side of my thyroid is 4cm,and the left is 5cm.
I have had 2 biopsys now to see if the nodules are Cancer or not.Unfortunatly for me, they have only gotten blood and VERY few cells.Not enough to diagnos.
My Endo REFUSED to do the surgury UNTIL I had those biopsys done.I go talk to her on the 25th of this month. We are going to talk about removing my Thyroid.She won't be the one to remove it--but will send me to talk to a surgeon about it.
PM me if you want to hon!! I too suffer from panic attacks and depression--so I know where you're coming from.
Hi, my consultant is also a surgeon so that's why he will be doing the op,the doctor that did the ultrasound said that he thought they would probably just leave it as he said it had common benign traits (he showed me on the ultrasound-comets tails-thats what he called them) He said he didn't feel the need to do a biopsy. I think my consultant wants to remove my thyriod because 1. He is baffled as to why I only have half and 2. It says on my consent form reasonn for surgery-he has put diagnosis. I think I will struggle in this country to find anyone better without having to pay and I just can't afford that.I think if he leaves part of my remaining thyroid in I should be ok but if he can't I just don't know. I am a member of a thyroid forum but I don't really know much, I am just scared now. x

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, try not to get too worked up about it.
I've never had any surgery so I'm sure it all seems scary, but you'll pull through ok, and you have your husband to look after you, even if it seems like it will be impossible now. It'll all work out in the end.
Best of luck for good results!!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
can you PM me the forum name? I'd like to join one too.
Good luck hon!! I am sending calming/good surgury vibes that way <3

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good luck Ruth! I would be scared too, but it sounds like you've got a very good surgeon and it's good to get things treated if possible.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It won't be so bad Ruth. I know a few people at work that had their thyroid taken out completely, and they are fine. But I do understand feeling nervous. If you aren't already on them, see if they can give you low grade anti anxiety pill to take the edge off. Also, when DH went in for his last major hernia surgery, they gave him something in the prep room (he was majorly stressed). He was told to hold it under his tongue until it dissolved and I swear his eyes crossed in about 30 seconds and he was in lala land. I wanted one myself!!

Many calming being sent your way!

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

It won't be so bad Ruth. I know a few people at work that had their thyroid taken out completely, and they are fine. But I do understand feeling nervous. If you aren't already on them, see if they can give you low grade anti anxiety pill to take the edge off. Also, when DH went in for his last major hernia surgery, they gave him something in the prep room (he was majorly stressed). He was told to hold it under his tongue until it dissolved and I swear his eyes crossed in about 30 seconds and he was in lala land. I wanted one myself!!

Many calming being sent your way!
Thanks hun, my surgeon said to mention it at my pre-op appointment that I have anxiety and they will give me a sedative before my anaesthetic (sorry spelling rubbish). I want it done so bad but it really is the going to sleep bit that does me.It's all to do with my dh's gran. Thanks to everyone for your kind words. x

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey hun you will be fine dont worry about it, i had surgery on an abcess i know its not the same as what you are having but the stuff they give you is great and calms you down, it made me hyper actually..... i came round from it all first thing i said was "i feel as inquisitive as a meekat" the nurses were killing themselves laughing

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
if you are really stressed out, ask your Dr/Surgeon to give you valium in the IV prior to surgury.I did that with my Hyster

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

if you are really stressed out, ask your Dr/Surgeon to give you valium in the IV prior to surgury.I did that with my Hyster
I think thats what they will do,hopefully
x

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

it does WONDERS!!!
Thanks hun, I will be sure to tell the anaestethist (sp?) at my pre-op, the thyroid forum has really helped me too. I also just watched a vid on you tube of a lady post-op thyroid surgery and it has helped me on what to expect afterwards. x

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I wish you the best and I know that you'll pull through with flying colors. I'll keep you in my thoughts and send lots of healing thoughts to you.

(((Hugs)))

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The hospital phoned me today, I have my pre-op appointment on thursday at 1.15. I really thought I would get a letter and it wouldn't be for a week or so, the lady said she had to squeeze me in-I wonder if this means my op will be very soon? Gosh I am soo scared now, really dreading it, I just hope the pre-op will put my mind at rest. x