It's happening again....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone. I'm waiting impatiently for 5:15 when the appointment is.

Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

There are few things as sad and as difficult as watching a beloved cat suffer.

I'm praying for you both, Renny, and sending strong hugs and get-well-vibes to you and to Rambo.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renny

Well it's another stage of the Rambo saga. It's been 2 weeks since his steroid shot (and the vet said it would last a week to a week and a half), and starting about wednesday his other eye swelled up, and both eyes are runny with green discharge. He's also hiding all day in the closet when he's not eating (he's still only eating wet and only small amounts at a time). He runs from me, he doesn't play and he generally is a miserable grump. I'm guess that the eye swelling is the one visible symptom, but I have no idea what else he's feeling. The antihistamine's are having no noticeable affect or benefit except that it makes him sleepy and he rubs his eye less when he's dopey.
Originally Posted by catsallover

I don't remember if I mentioned this or not, but my sister's cats have to have both the steroid and the antibiotics for their ECG episodes- you could ask your vet about it when you get back if he's still not 100%
. Apparently it's not all that uncommon, so maybe it could help.
Please ask your vet about the antibiotics- green goop is usually a sign of infection, and many cats have to have both to get over an episode. I hope it works and he's feeling better soon. I know when my face hurts (from a sinus infection), I feel like crap and can't even think straight.

Oops, didn't mean for the big letters to sound like yelling- I just wanted them to show up

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL...don't worry...I won't take it as you yelling at me. I probably should have gotten antibiotics (oral) too...i only got him the eye ointment that was steroid and antibiotic. That apparently isn't enough.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a mystery! Poor little guy... I've been thinking frantically, too. The only ideas I've come up with are:

1. Hairspray? Our main bath is across the hall from the air conditioner intake, so we have to be very careful not to use hairspray (or perfume or baby powder or anything else) and then open the bathroom door too soon, or it gets sucked right into the vent... and I know some of it gets through the filter, because you can smell it in other rooms.

2. Similarly... spray-on cooking oil, like Pam? The propellants they contain can be a problem.

3. Laundry? I know you haven't changed your soap, but I ran a particularly heavy load once recently, and the soap didn't wash entirely out... which I realized when I noticed the washrags were making my face burn.

4. Pollution? I don't know what it's like where you are, but here in this suburb of Dallas, even though we're a good 18 miles from downtown, we have such serious pollution that the weathercasters have to warn us about "ozone alert days" a few dozen times a year. I can feel it in my eyes and throat when it's bad.

Long shots, I know, but I thought I'd throw 'em out there. Gosh, I hope Rambo feels better soon!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear that Rambo is still not doing well. It really is heartbreaking to see our sweeties this way and not have a solution. Sending lots of vibes and prayers that your vet can give you one soon.

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone, sorry I didn't get here earlier to update. We went back to the vet on Friday and the vet has been doing more research and is now questioning her previous guess. She's now wondering if the throat blisters and the eye issues are separate problems. So we've taken an eye swab for culture, but in the meantime (since I'm still thinking autoimmune), she's put Rambo back on prednisone. (he had also lost 0.3kg in the 2 weeks he's been sick)

Within 24 hours of going back on the prednisone both eyes are back to normal, we're just fighting the secondary eye infection that he got with the swelling. He's still sleeping quite a bit, but he's starting to show interest in cuddling again, and keeping an eye on the birds, squirrels and neighbours out the window.

The response to the steroid is just reinforcing for me that this is autoimmune. But we'll see what the culture shows.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renny

Within 24 hours of going back on the prednisone both eyes are back to normal, we're just fighting the secondary eye infection that he got with the swelling. He's still sleeping quite a bit, but he's starting to show interest in cuddling again, and keeping an eye on the birds, squirrels and neighbours out the window.

The response to the steroid is just reinforcing for me that this is autoimmune. But we'll see what the culture shows.
yay for the prednisone! at least now he's feeling better!

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

yay for the prednisone! at least now he's feeling better!
Exactly what I was thinking. At this point i'm so relieved to have my Rambo coming back, that diagnosing exactly what is wrong is secondary. For the first time in weeks I got morning cuddles!!!
I was walking on air for hours afterwards.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm glad he is feeling a bit better. I hope your vet can figure this out and it is something easily taken care of.