It's Cancer

britt0285

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You are in my prayers. I hope that everything can be taken care of with the surgery.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still thinking of you Linda.

One meal a day is not the answer. You must spread the food out throughout the day or your metabolism will shut down.

It's true. If you don't feed your body your body will go into a "reserve" mode and hang on to every calorie it can.

Spread that meal out into three, four or five meals a day to keep your metabolism, blood sugar, and mental condition running on an even keel.

Trust us, please we know what we are talking about here. You have to have regular sustenance to keep going.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi hun, I have not long ago had thyroid surgery and I am overweight, it was one of my major worries. Believe me they would not even consider you for surgery if they didn't think it would be safe. I was fine and still am, you need to be healthy and eating healthily is the answer. I promise you will be ok.xxxx

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ruthyb

Hi hun, I have not long ago had thyroid surgery and I am overweight, it was one of my major worries. Believe me they would not even consider you for surgery if they didn't think it would be safe.
Thank you for that!

I got my doctors note and started the process of getting the paperwork completed for my time off. I will need to prepay my benefits for the time I'll be away.

Last weekend I had my "pity party" and stayed in bed sleeping all weekend long because it was easier than being awake and thinking.

I'm trying to keep busy so that I don't have time to think. However, it still sneaks up on me and I start crying. I spend quite a bit of time in the locker room washroom crying. Then I pick myself up and carry on.

I'm working hard at fighting off the depression. I've upped my dose of Celexa to 40 mg from 30 mg, and despite wanting to curl up in my bed and never leave it, I force myself to get up and go to work and do my errands because I know the alternative would not help my situation at all and only make things worse for me.

Thank you everyone for all of your thoughts, prayers, vibes and words of wisdom. They mean a great deal to me.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh that's awful

My fiance just finished up with all his treatments and surgeries about a month ago. It was a long drawn out process, but in the end it's totally worth it. He had testicular cancer and was at stage 2 of 4 because it spread into his lymph nodes. He is at 90% success rate for 5 years.

Just make sure to stay close to those you love and ask them for help WHENEVER you need it. I wish you luck and I know you'll do great. You just need a fighting spirit!

Oh, and the drugs they give you to counteract being sick are awesome. My fiance was going in 5 days a week for 8 hours a day every 3 weeks for 9 weeks and he never threw up once. Make sure to ask for the medications though! He asked for them when he got there and right before he left every day.

My fiance was also deathly afraid of surgeries. His last surgery was a 4 1/2 hour surgery to remove all the lymph nodes in his stomach. He ended up staying in the hospital for a week, but once it was all over he said it was a cake walk compared to 3 months of intense chemo.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Linda, can the hospital not put you in touch with someone to talk to about your fears, or what about close friends?

I'm not too sure about what your eating either?. You need slow release foods such as porridge and it's very low in calories.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Linda, as Ruthyb said--if you weren't a candidate for surgery the dr. wouldn't have scheduled it. I can't imagne how you must be feeling, and having to wait until July would probably drive me insane. But, you have until then to eat healthy, get more exercise, and develop a new mind set. Take care of yourself---physically, emotionally, spiritually--and tell yourself you can and will beat this.
Wishing I was there to give you a (((BIG HUG))).

elayman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

Linda, as Ruthyb said--if you weren't a candidate for surgery the dr. wouldn't have scheduled it.
I hate to sound like wet blanket, but as horrid as it may be, there are people that this has happened to during surgery that were NEVER informed of the possibility beforehand.

So take every opportunity to ask all the questions you have about the procedure. Like everyone has said. I don't have anything new to add.
Nothing should offend the surgeon since its a very important part of his/her job to make the patients and their families understand whats going on....

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just adding my very best wishes and positive vibes for everything to go well. And I agree that not eating is not the answer - you must keep up your strength to face everything, at the same time as losing a bit of weight. Eat fruit during the day and keep a close watch on the carbs.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Linda, can the hospital not put you in touch with someone to talk to about your fears, or what about close friends?
Yes, we have counselling services available to us through our benefits plan.

I'm fine with the surgery. The 6 weeks unpaid leave doesn't bother me. Losing my female organs doesn't bother me either because I don't want and never have wanted to have kids. The 6 weeks post-op recovery doesn't even worry me. Neither does 3 treatments of high dose internal radiation if needed.

The only fear I have is that they won't be able to complete the surgery because of my weight. And the only one that can help me with that is me. I need to lose some weight before the surgery in order to maximize my chances.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Linda, I've worked as a Surgical First Assistant for 25 years. In all that time, I've never, ever, seen a surgery that was unable to be completed because of the person's weight. Period. That is absolute nonsense, and if your surgeon has told you that, you need to find a different surgeon. Weight and body habitus can make a surgery difficult, but never impossible. I know it's frightening to think about surgery, and all of the possible complications and different outcomes. But please rest assured that a competent surgeon will be able to complete your surgery no matter what your weight is. I will certainly keep you in my prayers, both for a good surgical outcome, and your peace of mind too.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

Linda, I've worked as a Surgical First Assistant for 25 years. In all that time, I've never, ever, seen a surgery that was unable to be completed because of the person's weight. Period. That is absolute nonsense, and if your surgeon has told you that, you need to find a different surgeon. Weight and body habitus can make a surgery difficult, but never impossible. I know it's frightening to think about surgery, and all of the possible complications and different outcomes. But please rest assured that a competent surgeon will be able to complete your surgery no matter what your weight is. I will certainly keep you in my prayers, both for a good surgical outcome, and your peace of mind too.
Thank you for that!
You just jogged my memory about something the doctor said to me!

While she is an R5 resident, she has been in the gyne-onc surgical area for 7 years and she told me that she's never seen a surgery abandoned because of weight, but it was still a risk that she had to tell me about, just like the possibility of death.

I still feel a need to maximize my chances though by losing some weight. My goal is 30 pounds, which is not unreasonable for my current weight. The heavier you are the faster the weight loss initially. Prior to my getting sick in 2004 and going off on long term disability, I was doing Jenny Craid (cooking my own foods from her recipes) and exercising. I had lost 25 pounds in 1 month. So 30 pounds is not impossible. But my goal is just 30 pounds. That's 3 10-pound bags of potatoes... that's a whole lot of fat!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad I was able to help put your mind at ease. Go about your weight loss plan sensibly, you're a nurse, you know the right way to do it. Do it to help you heal well post-op, to regulate your blood sugar prior to surgery, for your peace of mind...whatever works for you. Just don't do it because a resident said something misleading, and has scared you. I'm right here pulling for you!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Linda, being a bigger gal myself....I can understand your want to loose some weight.Yes it will make healing easier...and smoother.BUT, being unhealthy about loosing it--will make it worse hon.
I went through this phase in high school, I lost from a size 14 to a size 5 in 2 weeks. I did it the stupid way.
Then about 14 years ago, I dropped down to 104 from 150.I was sooooooooooooo sickly looking.Everyone said I looked better at 150 than I did at 104.
I know you are scared about Cancer.Just do the weight lss the right way hon....excersise and eat more fruits and veggies.
Cutting out pop has made my hubby loose 20 pounds.
I wish you LOTS and LOTS of good surgury vibes,and get ALL the Cancer OUT vibes your way!!!!

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry you are going through this. Cancer is a bad word that strikes fear in peoples hearts. But it is no bigger than God. There are many who will be praying for you including myself. I hope you have some friends or family or someone who can be a good support for you when you need it. Remember you have many praying for you and God does answer prayers.

felineorc

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just found this thread and want to add my best wishes for a successful operation and a good outcome for you.

Lots of good vibes, and big hugs are winging their way to you over the big pond between us.

Think good thoughts and tell yourself that you will WIN against the cancer.

Love Jean

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
another overweight surgery story - i had my gall bladder removed when i was 42. i weighed close to 300 pounds, & i'm only 5'2"... it was the amazing success & recovery from that surgery that encouraged me to research & have my gastric bypass. for that one, i know my top weight was 306.
i think you'd have to be so large as to be practically immobile for your weight to so impede the operation that it couldn't proceed. since you are still working, i know you're not at that point.
more , & hugs coming your way!