Itching.....

negs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tyson is still itching..... I am going to call the vet again today, the last time I was there she didn't know what it was and gave him an antibiotic, antihistamine, and dermcaps.... He will only take the antibiotic crushed up in his food but it does not seem to be getting better.

The itching is more towards the lower half of his body, he has pulled his fur out and now one part is so irritated that I noticed some blood on my sheets after he was sleeping on my bed. It wasn't a lot, just a tiny bit.

I don't know what to do???? Is this seasonal allergies??? Food allergies??? Flea allergies??? I am going crazy here. I feel bad for him and want to help but don't know what to do next.

If anyone has any advice or experience with this I would appreciate it! THANKS!!!!!!

millyanddaisy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Poor Tyson! It must be driving him crazy. I can only tell you my own experience of this, it may not be what is affecting your cat, but here goes anyway. Daisy is allergic to flea bites. She too itched a lot, even once the flease were gone (thanks to Frontline). She lost a lot of the fur on her tummy. The vet said that even though the fleas weren't on her any more, the itching still remained while the original sores were healing, so she would scratch more, make new sore places and so it would go on. She had some steroid tablets, only a short course, as too many of those are dangerous, but it broke the itchy cycle and she was soon back to her normal self.

I hope your vet can find a solution for Tyson.

Sue

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
did this start say in the last month or so?? if it did maybe it is a seasonal issue

hannahgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is the affected area of the lower body, the underside, or on his back?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

negs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Sue!!! I just gave Tyson some flea and tick stuff yesterday, the vet said that could be the `cause I hope that is it and he will soon be getting better. We have another check up next week. The vet also told me that she didn't want to give him too many steroids because it can diabetes if used too much.

The itching started about 2 to 3 months ago and it could be caused by sesaonal allergies but we have no other way of knowing besides doing allergy tests and the vet wants to leave that as out last resort...

The itching is mainly on his top half and around his tail. Not much on his belly.....
I hope we find the cause of this soon.... I feel so bad for him

Thanks!

hannahgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Negs and Tyson, we wish you the best. It sounds like fleas, so hopefully the treatment you gave him will do the trick.

negs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You think its fleas??? I have never seen one flea on him.....

Just wondering - what makes you think its fleas??? Are there classic signs and symptoms, besides the itching???

Thanks

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only because you don't see Fleas dosen't mean they are there. Take a wet paper towl and run it through your kitties fur thouroughly . If it turns red (blood) it's fleas!!! Ergo glea treatment can't hurt

If that dosen't work I would still have him checked for allergies.

Good luck to baby - hope he feels better soon!

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Definitely sounds like fleas to me as well... my old dog had the same problem - allergic to flea bites. We ended up doing the same thing that someone else suggested earlier: flea meds and a short dose prednizone (steriods) and she cleared right up. I wish you guys the best... I know it's hard to watch your little baby bite and scratch all the time, but hopefully it will clear up soon!

negs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone.....

We are going to the vet tomorrow for a check up and I will definately get some frontline..... Hopefully he will feel better soon!

I will update you all tomorrow!!!

Thanks

negs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another trip to the vet and still no solution, my vet said that sees no evidence of fleas or ticks but we gave him his first dose of advantage. So, if it were fleas or ticks it should clear up....

She also gave me a form of antihistimine to try and give him. She taught me how to pill him but I don't think that will go over very well at home tomorrow morning.

Our next step is to give him a speciel diet to see if its food allergies??? I sort of hope it is food allergies, then I will have a definate answer and a solution. I can't stand watching him scratch and itch
It breaks my heart

Well hopefully he won't give me too much a fight with the pill tomorrow! Wish me luck.

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm surprised your vet is ruling out fleas if she doesn't see one! I was told numerous times by my vet that you don't have to see a flea for an allergic reaction. The classic allergic reaction (according to my vet) for a flea reaction is a red allergy at the base of the tail and moving up the spine. Fur is pulled out over the rash.

Take a fine comb and go thru Tyson's fur. You may get what looks like little pieces of dirt or coffee grounds. That is flea droppings. I used to see that more often than red.

negs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Sweets!!!! We did that with the comb and did not see anything. But I have treated him with Advantage so hopefully that may do the trick!

I am sort of hoping that it was fleas because then I would have a definate answer and solution, not all this guess and check and hundreds of dollars later at the vet there still is no solution.... He gets another dose of advantage in 2 weeks and I was thinking of trying a different food that may be good for skin problems. Does anyone know of any such food???

Thanks so much for all the comments and advice!!! It really helps to hear other peoples experience!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Negs

Thanks Sweets!!!! We did that with the comb and did not see anything. But I have treated him with Advantage so hopefully that may do the trick!

I am sort of hoping that it was fleas because then I would have a definate answer and solution, not all this guess and check and hundreds of dollars later at the vet there still is no solution.... He gets another dose of advantage in 2 weeks and I was thinking of trying a different food that may be good for skin problems. Does anyone know of any such food???

Thanks so much for all the comments and advice!!! It really helps to hear other peoples experience!
what is Negs currently eating there are many that claim to help but only a few proven to do so...

negs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tyson, is my cat....

I currently feed him Natural choice dry food (I ocassioanlly mix in science diet hairball food, he used to get lots of hairballs but since the food does not get any) I also feed him 1/2 a package of natural choice wet food daily - chicken flavor or the weight management kind (he has gained weight since I got him)

He rarely ever gets treats, he's just not crazy about them. He is not very picky about food though, he'll eat almost anything, including things I don't want him to eat! Ha HA!!!

What are the brands and types that are good for me to feed him

THANKS!!!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
well natural choice is a good one instead of science diet maybe mix in Royal canins new beauty and fit high omega 6 and 3 s may help condition his coat... I put a bit of olive oil on my dogs food she needs very high omegas ... some use flaxseed oil I am getting some friday and will tell you how it goes...

negs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks!

I have never heard of either of those two brands but I will research them.

Tyson's coat is beautiful - silky and shiny:-) It is his skin that could possibly be the problem...

hannahgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Figuring out cat allergies can be very disheartening. My cat is dealing with the same thing and it is a constant guessing game. The cost of visits and meds can really add up, too. She had pulled off fur on her belly and two back legs and was hiding from me, a clue that she wasn't feeling well. We are still trying to figure it out. The Vet combed her fur and found no evidence of fleas, but gave her Advantage just in case. She still kept scratching at her neck. I hope both our cats get better soon!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
silly ?? are these indoor outdoor cats??