Is your desktop cluttered?

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was forced to clear my desktop a couple of weeks ago, because I couldn't find anything!
But now it's in pretty good shape, and this photo of a little seaplane above a South Pacific island gives me all sorts of lovely daydreams...

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now, mine's a little messy with some picture files and other folders. I usually like it clean and organized, with my necessary files and some folders like pictures or music.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

I may get into trouble for showing mine here... I have a Cheezburger pic as my desktop image... As for how messy it may be... I clean mine up on a regular basis... my dock gets ignored mostly, but I did do a thorough cleaning of it a couple months back. I usually keep my icons down to one row, but frequently keep things on there, usually an 'alias' of the original icon, to remind me to work on said item (hence the Max & Magic one, it's a short story). it does bug me when I get close to three rows... then I really do a clean up!

If the mods would prefer that LOLCats image not be there, I can take the image down and change the screen grab... I just use them to make me laugh each day...

(EDITED: I decided the potential fuss wasn't worth it... so I changed the image and made a new screen grab... )
When I first read this, I thought that you were asking how cluttered the top of your desk is. I know what a desk top is, so it must be my guilty conscience about how messy my computer desk is.

What is more interesting to me is your picture. Is it a view from Neuschwanstein Castle in Bavaria? We have been there recently and it looks like the falls and the bridge view that you can see from the castle.

My desktop is cleaner than the top of my desk.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

What is more interesting to me is your picture. Is it a view from Neuschwanstein Castle in Bavaria? We have been there recently and it looks like the falls and the bridge view that you can see from the castle.
Nope... it's from Multnomah Falls just east of Portland. I took that my first summer here... I've gone exactly twice, so I really should go back more often... I just need work where I'm not driving such an evil commute... then I'd be more willing to drive on mini-adventures on my days off...

Amanda

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I try to keep mine at 1-3 rows, depends which way i'm running them though which depends on the pic I'm using for the background - don't want the babies covered up by icons

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
mine is cluttered but semi-organized! I have 5 rows to the left and 2 to the right. The 5 to the left are what I rarely use but use enough to not want to hung for them in a program list. The 2 to the right are games that I play almost on a daily basis with the exception of The Sims 2 which is on the left hand side. Here is my desktop

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

I try to keep mine at 1-3 rows, depends which way i'm running them though which depends on the pic I'm using for the background - don't want the babies covered up by icons
i rearrange mine all the time - depends on the pic!

wishiwas

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I only have two icons on my desktop. The HD, and a file I update and use so often it was just easier to keep an icon there. My dock just has my most frequently used applications, but I don't think that counts as part of the desktop since I set it to disappear when my cursor isn't over it. I couldn't stand seeing it there all the time.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wishiwas

I only have two icons on my desktop. The HD, and a file I update and use so often it was just easier to keep an icon there. My dock just has my most frequently used applications, but I don't think that counts as part of the desktop since I set it to disappear when my cursor isn't over it. I couldn't stand seeing it there all the time.
i do that, too - & at work, i have the taskbar only appear when the cursor is down there, as well.

lotso'cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have you beat...by 10!!
I have 61!!!
I was a bit suprised that I had that many. Most are Astronomy Programs and Open Office programs.

Originally Posted by calico2222

I have you beat, I have 51! Probably about 25 of them came with the computer and I don't know what they are so I'm afraid to delete them. The rest are things I accidently saved to desktop instead of harddrive (pics, etc) and a few links to games I already uninstalled but it didn't take the short cut off. I guess I should clean it up, but with my house, the least of my worries is how cluttered my desktop is!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
14 icons. I made a folder for "desktop icons" so I could find stuff that would normally be saved to the desktop (like programs).

The picture is at Isle of Palms, SC - where Rob proposed to me as well as where we spent the first 2 nights after we were married
It was taken from our beachfront hotel room.

gothic~mermaid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wipe 5 icons to keep it clear, my DH adds 10!! Its a losing battle!

I now edit depending on the picture! I hate having a beautiful pic for someone (grr) to cover it in icons!

Whats the facebook thing? I have facebook set to my home page but would love a shortcut! lol!

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've become a stickler over the years about my desktop. I use to have hundreds of icons on it. At least it seemed that way. But as time has gone on I've changed.

I figured when I got this big 30 inch monitor I'd flood my desktop with icons. But what I ended up doing was making the icons bigger and only keeping a select few on the desktop.

To be fair, i still have lots of icons, but instead of on my desktop they're in the 'WiP' folder which stands for 'Work In Progress'

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gothic~mermaid

I wipe 5 icons to keep it clear, my DH adds 10!! Its a losing battle!

I now edit depending on the picture! I hate having a beautiful pic for someone (grr) to cover it in icons!

Whats the facebook thing? I have facebook set to my home page but would love a shortcut! lol!
You really want to mess with your DH? this is fun.

Take a full screenshot of your desktop.

Open the picture fullsize in MS Paint. Then just leave it there. It'll take him a while to figure out he's madly clicking on a picture. not the icons.

And yes this fools computer literate people for awhile too

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

Open the picture fullsize in MS Paint. Then just leave it there. It'll take him a while to figure out he's madly clicking on a picture. not the icons.

That would be too funny!

gothic~mermaid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

OMG soooo gonna try this later, hes due home in an hour so gives me time to fill it with loads icons
Ill let you know the reaction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Brandi

mine is cluttered but semi-organized! I have 5 rows to the left and 2 to the right. The 5 to the left are what I rarely use but use enough to not want to hung for them in a program list. The 2 to the right are games that I play almost on a daily basis with the exception of The Sims 2 which is on the left hand side. Here is my desktop
This is bad but I have this overwhelming need to clean your desktop. I am sitting her thinking why does she need the install file and the shortcut to the installed file. must clean