Is Wellness Cat Food Ok? Need answers asap!

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't forget, Nutro's latest recall (after that CA woman paid for an independent lab testing of three of their products), involved 13 different flavors of the 3 ounce cans. I'm not sure, but it looks like many of those flavors are pate style and they are all (according to Nutro's website) made by Menu.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

Don't forget, Nutro's latest recall (after that CA woman paid for an independent lab testing of three of their products), involved 13 different flavors of the 3 ounce cans. I'm not sure, but it looks like many of those flavors are pate style and they are all (according to Nutro's website) made by Menu.
And all 13 of those contain wheat gluten.

The ones that are available do not.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ALL products that are on the shelf now NUTRO makes NOT MENU... I just got this from a boss today.... Nutro makes the dry and the other canned items ...

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

ALL products that are on the shelf now NUTRO makes NOT MENU... I just got this from a boss today.... Nutro makes the dry and the other canned items ...
that is good to know. i will remember that if anyone i know asks.
my sister was interested in nutro before the recall hit.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

that is good to know. i will remember that if anyone i know asks.
my sister was interested in nutro before the recall hit.
Yeah, since I feed alot of it
... also my Petco has signs that state all items on the shelf are NOT MENU made
in the Nutro isle

ilovemy2cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

What a relief to know this since I've been using the 5.5 oz cans along with other brands. You would think Nutro would advertise this on their website.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

No just intolerant was tested for celiac... i get to cheat without risking injury but it aint worth it ... and now I am on the blood type diet and WHEAT is on my AVOID list
Im sorry digestive issues are a pain! I know I have at least 4 present now and two others I once had no longer apply!

ilovemy2cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sharky, now I'm confused. I copied the following from the Nutro website and it sounds like they have ALL of their canned foods manufactured by Menu. Can you find out why they told you the rest of the canned foods are manfactured at their own facility but their website says this:

Frequently Asked Questions

Does Nutro manufacture their pet foods?

Nutro manufactures our dry dog and cat kibble at our company owned manufacturing facilities. Our ‘wet' cans and pouches are contract manufactured.

Why does Nutro use Menu Foods as a contract manufacturer for production of wet foods?

Canned and foil pouch wet foods are a small part of Nutro's overall production. Our limited volume does not allow Nutro (and a great many other pet food companies), the economy of scale required to own a wet food facility.

We use a contract manufacturer because they provide wet food production capacity and expertise. Contract manufacturers are required to follow strict quality standards in the production of Nutro's wet products. Nutro is implementing additional guidelines that will ensure that the quality control measures used by our co-manufacturers and their suppliers are strengthened so that this deeply troubling situation never happens again.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ilovemy2cats

Sharky, now I'm confused. I copied the following from the Nutro website and it sounds like they have ALL of their canned foods manufactured by Menu. Can you find out why they told you the rest of the canned foods are manfactured at their own facility but their website says this:

Frequently Asked Questions

Does Nutro manufacture their pet foods?

Nutro manufactures our dry dog and cat kibble at our company owned manufacturing facilities. Our ‘wet' cans and pouches are contract manufactured.

Why does Nutro use Menu Foods as a contract manufacturer for production of wet foods?

Canned and foil pouch wet foods are a small part of Nutro's overall production. Our limited volume does not allow Nutro (and a great many other pet food companies), the economy of scale required to own a wet food facility.

We use a contract manufacturer because they provide wet food production capacity and expertise. Contract manufacturers are required to follow strict quality standards in the production of Nutro's wet products. Nutro is implementing additional guidelines that will ensure that the quality control measures used by our co-manufacturers and their suppliers are strengthened so that this deeply troubling situation never happens again.
HUMMMM.... I will call the 800 number see if they have an answer.... Cause I have a paper here that states Nutro makes 90% of the line .... My boss pted to the sign at the Petco .... which stated not made at menu

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
all wet is contracted out and is made by Menu for Nutro but not all may be made at the plant in ?? is what I was told on the 800 number... The girl had to place me on hold and ask as her std answer is it is contracted out... I AM GOING to be questioning my bosses about this