Is this starving stray pregnant, or has she had her kittens?/ Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alcohol on scratches and other open wounds? OUCH!!! That stings which is why I use peroxide - no sting! I just keeping pouring it on until the bubbling stops, that means it has cleaned it out thoroughly. I have used that on my children's skinned knees etc and they never got infections, they were fascinated by the bubbles and never complained about having me "doctor" them as other kids do, because it did not hurt more than it already did. Those kids are now grandparents themselves and have used the same remedy without complaints. It's also less expensive than having all that other stuff around and ointments are easily contaminated. 
I've always used alcohol on me and my ointment. No infections. I didn't know you could use peroxide. I thought it was for dying ones hair.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
I've always used alcohol on me and my ointment. No infections. I didn't know you could use peroxide. I thought it was for dying ones hair.
The 3% peroxide you get at the drug store will take forever to bleach hair, for that you need 30% + which is not readily available and usually comes in a hair color kit which you would not want to use on a wound.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
checkers checkers . So today's the last day, isn't it? I think you said you are taking them in on Friday. It is probably already Friday for you. Give us the update when you can. They were expecting Ginge to be the proper weight for het spay by now, I recollect. Hope the handover goes well. Sniff ...

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
checkers checkers . So today's the last day, isn't it? I think you said you are taking them in on Friday. It is probably already Friday for you. Give us the update when you can. They were expecting Ginge to be the proper weight for het spay by now, I recollect. Hope the handover goes well. Sniff ...
I join you in the sniffing. Thank goodness for kleenex.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
 So today's the last day, isn't it? I think you said you are taking them in on Friday. It is probably already Friday for you. Give us the update when you can. They were expecting Ginge to be the proper weight for het spay by now, I recollect. Hope the handover goes well. Sniff ...
Thank you @sarthur2  and @Stewball   What a morning. I took the kitties in for their de-sexing early, without breakfast, of course, and Ginge and Minstrel let me know a lot of the way that they'd rather be back in their bathroom having some tucker.  

When I arrived at the shelter (after peak hour traffic) I propped them up on the counter and removed the cotton cover on top of the cage.  Ginge cried and I patted her through the wire.  She immediately started purring, bless her.  Minstrel seemed a little curious about what was going on, and Possum, in typical fashion, became fascinated with the printer which was spitting out page after page.  None of them seemed concerned about the huge dog lying on the floor on the other side of the counter. 

Ginge just passed the weigh-in (at 1.12kg - she had to be 1.1kg), and the others were well and truly big enough.  By now they will have had their surgery, and they're going up for adoption tomorrow morning, all being well.  @Mani  , if you were interested in seeing them, perhaps best to phone first but they should be there from opening time (hours at 10am to 7pm).  I'll pop down to the shelter tomorrow sometime to see how they[re going.   

I made clear to the organiser (who was delightful) that if for some reason one or more were not adopted, I would take them back.  She responded saying she didn't think that would happen, and that she thought Ginge would be snapped up.  

As I was leaving the manager came to see me and asked if I'd be prepared to foster a 15yo cat who had come in the night before last. His elderly owner, who has no family, is dying of cancer and she has got to the stage where she can no longer care for him. They are concerned for his welfare as at his age, he is vulnerable to picking up cat flu in the shelter, and he's extremely unhappy.  A rescue group is able to collect him early week for care and re-homing.  So I said 'yes'.  

I took home a very large, frightened, part-Persian, totally black 15yo cat with huge eyes and bumps and nobbles and bits of hair missing. He is named Thomas. He has to have lots of medication. When I opened the cage he slithered into my mother's room and hid behind the head of her bed where I can't reach him.  I then had to rush my mother to the doctor with an eye bleed. The visiting nurse told me to take her to Emergency straight away. So  I left poor Thomas to get acquainted with the house while we both disappeared.  When I returned later, Thomas was still squeezed between the bed head and the wall.  I think I'm going to have trouble with this one - for totally opposite reasons to my three exuberant kittens.

Before I delivered the kittens to the shelter this morning I took a few more pics which I'll post later.  Feeling very sad, but also distracted with concerns for poor Thomas.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd take minstrel in a heart beat. I'd have been weeping my eyes out leaving them but then I do cry easily.
Poor Thomas he must be so confused. Ifdon't have to tell you to put food and water and a litter box under your mum's bed do i. Oh sorry i just did. I'm bad :-(
I'm sure when he comes out he'll be a loving old man. So sad when they have to be given up in these circumstances.
I told my daughter if I go before my two she'll have to take them. Her reply? You'll have to leave me money to look after them!
I hope your mum's eye is ok.
Have a good weekend.

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
...I don't have to tell you to put food and water and a litter box under your mum's bed do I?"
Thank you @Stewball  !  No, you don't have to tell me that, but I appreciate it.  I did just that, except not UNDER the bed as it's very low to the floor.  I put them at each end of the bedhead. .

Mum told me she spotted him in the litter box today. I noticed some of his cat biscuits were gone.  And when I came home tonight from work, I took some wet food in to the room and talked quietly to him for awhile and he came out and ate the wet food at my feet.  I called to my mother that he'd come out, and he took fright at my slightly raised voice and disappeared behind the bed again.  A few mins later out he came and we went through the procedure again until he'd finished his food.

The poor thing has hard furless patches over his body and some areas of very thin hair.  I don't know what's wrong with him. Maybe he's had a hard life.  I had three cats that lived to around 20 and their fur was good to the end.  This cat's fur looks a bit like mange to me. I have only seen mange in dogs, but it looks similar.

I'd better check the guidelines. Maybe I shouldn't be raising these issues in a thread about my kittens.  I won't continue on this topic until I check.

And @Stewball, I wish you could take Minstrel, but alas, distance is against us.  And perhaps his age.  Do you really want to have the responsibility of aged cats in 20+ years' time? 
  Sounds like you could if you start up a bank account for your daughter now! 

I'll post some kitty pics a bit later.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
checkers checkers

I'm glad he's coming out. He'd starting to feel safe. Well I don't have to tell you that
Either but I did. SMH.
I'm sure if he had mange they'd have told
you. Maybe he had. I wonder if he's a lap cat. Still he'll be happy with you. Even I would be happy with you!!!!
I look forward to the pictures and one of
Thomas.
It was a lovely message you sent me. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@Checkers    I am going to miss the updates on the kittens. I wish I could have them all. I know they will be happy in their forever homes and you and your mom did an awesome job with them.

I can't wait to hear all about Thomas. I wonder if his last name is O'Malley, LOL

His hair loss could be from stress or could be a fungal infection which either way once he is settled it should start growing back.

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Take-home packs for whoever adopts the kittens

I finally finished those profile packs on each of the kittens.  I made up a little booklet on each with their history, likes and dislikes, photos of their mother, the whole litter, and then a range of photos of the relevant kitten’s progress.  I finished the booklet with a copy of one of the stories that appeared in the newspapers – and of course, my email address and an invitation to contact me for more photos, more information, AND to send me progress photos. 

For each kitten I put together a colourful bag containing the booklet,  a bag of toys, and a photo tag of each kitten tied to the handle.  I didn’t think to take a photo of the finished bag, but did take photos last night of the booklets and one of the toy packs.  I laid them out on the floor with one of the toy bags and stepped back to take the photo.  Before I could press the shutter button Ginge and Possum galloped into the photo to play with the sealed bag of toys...

After I removed Ginge and Poss to a separate room, I had another go.  No show without Minstrel…

Finally, a photo without kittens...

This is Ginge last night. She cuddled into the crook of my mother’s arm until she fell asleep...

And this is Minstrel this morning, making scary big-cat shadows in his patch of morning sunshine. You can  easily see those tabby variations of black in his coat in this photo.

I rang the shelter late this afternoon. They told me the kittens were still groggy from the anaesthetic but the surgery went well. 

They should be up for adoption tomorrow and I just might wander down to the refuge to visit and observe.  And if I see someone considering adoption I don’t like the look of, I just might tell them about that highly contagious flesh-eating disease they have.

Last edited:

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you @kntrygrl256!  Very kind.

I can't wait to hear all about Thomas. I wonder if his last name is O'Malley, LOL

His hair loss could be from stress or could be a fungal infection which either way once he is settled it should start growing back.
Ha ha. Unfortunately neither his colour - nor his personality - match Mr O'Malley! 

I didn't look at Thomas until I got him home so didn't see the hair loss until he emerged from his cage. As @Stewball  said, it wouldn't be mange or they'd have told me. Interesting you mention stress or fungal infection. The refuge did his blood tests and found everything was good except for hyperthyroidism. It has caused him to lose weight, but he's still over 5kg.  Despite his bald patches, he is a gorgeous-looking cat with enormous eyes. He'd have been a stunner in his youth!  I hope he will be again when he's had some professional care.

I tried to get his photo tonight but it's just too hard to squeeze the camera between the bedhead and the wall.  And I don't want to frighten him when he's already stressed.  Maybe tomorrow.

I'm sure the rescue group will know what to do.  I just have to give him meds, protection and comfort until they can take him.  It's wonderful these rescue groups can put all this dedication and time into cats with issues like this.  They're heroes!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I am so impressed with the kitty take home packs @Checkers   Just wonderful! 

And hoping Thomas can realise what a wonderful place he's landed in and be a smoochy boy very soon...

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
...hoping Thomas can... be a smoochy boy very soon...
Thank you @Mani  & @Stewball  !!  And guest what?  I called Thomas out a short time ago with a 2nd plate of food waiting, and out he came. He ate some of the food and let me pat him!  He didn't eat all of the food, but then, I did hide some tablet portions in it.

He then walked around me a bit and started rubbing against my legs.  Then then walked around the room and rubbed himself on the end of the bed and anything else he could find.

He then left the room and started rubbing himself on bits and pieces in the dining room, and purred while I patted him.  And meowed.  A very deep sort of meow. Huge contrast to the little squeaks of the kittens. Thomas then disappeared, and I found him under the dining table perched on a chair, partly wrapped in the table cloth.  Yay!!!!  Progress!

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you @Mani
 & @Stewball
 !!  And guest what?  I called Thomas out a short time ago with a 2nd plate of food waiting, and out he came. He ate some of the food and let me pat him!  He didn't eat all of the food, but then, I did hide some tablet portions in it.

He then walked around me a bit and started rubbing against my legs.  Thenthen walked around the room and rubbed himself on the end of the bed and anything else he could find.
He then left the room and started rubbing himself on bits and pieces in the dining room, and purred while I patted him.  And meowed.  A very deep sort of meow. Huge contrast to the little squeaks of the kittens. Thomas then disappeared, and I found him under the dining table perched on a chair, partly wrapped in the table cloth.  Yay!!!!  Progress!

:)
reminds me of Mr. Froggy went a courting.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thank you @Mani  & @Stewball  !!  And guest what?  I called Thomas out a short time ago with a 2nd plate of food waiting, and out he came. He ate some of the food and let me pat him!  He didn't eat all of the food, but then, I did hide some tablet portions in it.

He then walked around me a bit and started rubbing against my legs.  Then then walked around the room and rubbed himself on the end of the bed and anything else he could find.

Looks like you will have an amazing recovery with Sir Thomas too. Now that he is scenting everything within his reach he is letting you know that your house is now his. It's wonderful news!!!! You surely do have a gift. 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
This thread is making me cry.

Those last photos of the kittens are so sweet, I'm sure they'll all go to loving homes. It makes a big difference to the new family to know that they were loved and well cared for before they were adopted. I have a couple of cats that were dumped outside my house when they were kittens and one that I found half starved in the woods. It still makes me sad to think that they weren't loved, but I try to make it up to them.

Thomas sounds like quite a character. I'm going to look forward to updates on him.

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@sarthur2, I plan to go to the refuge later this afternoon (our time; they're open another 5 hours).  I'll let you know how it goes.  

I got some lovely feedback from the RSPCA this morning who sent me a text about the take-home packs for the kitties.   They are certainly using them, which is great. 

This thread is making me cry....
I have a couple of cats that were dumped outside my house when they were kittens and one that I found half starved in the woods. It still makes me sad to think that they weren't loved, but I try to make it up to them.
Thomas sounds like quite a character. I'm going to look forward to updates on him.
@Norachan, thank you for your comments. I don't understand cruelty to animals. At least I guess the people who dumped the kittens knew where they would be loved.  As for the one in the woods, maybe it got lost. And maybe that's wishful thinking. 

Thomas should only be with me until Monday. I managed to get a couple of photos of the poor boy last night when I coaxed him out for food. I'll download and post them later. He explored the place, gave me a few very enthusiastic rubs on the legs and every bit of furniture, rolled over on the floor very excitedly (revealing, sadly, a very bald tummy), then retreated to a chair under the dining table where he's been ever since.  (Although I do see cat fur on the kitchen table, which would have happened after I finally went to bed in the wee hours.)

He certainly is a sad and sorry site, the poor boy.  Hopefully the rescue group will transform him in time.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so weepy right now it's not even funny. I feel so bad for Thomas. What a dignified name. Speaking of, do you know his owners first name? I think cats are pretty smart, and if you were to tell him (....) loves him, he might be comforted. What was the pet name she used for him, can you find that out? Poor woman. Cancer and losing her cat, both. That's making me cry.

As for the kittens, it would be soooo cool if their new owners (hate that word lol) could somehow find it in their hearts to join Cat Site and keep us updated...? [emoji]128513[/emoji][emoji]128513[/emoji][emoji]128513[/emoji][emoji]128513[/emoji]

Status
Not open for further replies.