Is there such a thing as dwarf cats?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with breeders who are trying to make healthy, long-lived cats with the fewest amount of health problems. Although I don't agree with the breeding of bulldogs, pugs, persians, or any other animal with a pushed in face or that can't move around properly due to the way they are put together, but that's just my feelings on the topic. I don't bash people who breed those types of animals if they do so in the best possible way, I just don't agree with bringing animals into the world that are known to have problems like walrus babies, stenotic nares, and so forth.

whiskerynature

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmm...kinda reminds me of our Doc (I'll post pics if I can figure out how
), who is a blue & white munchkin with a white snout/nose and white glovies. Even though he's only about as tall as his Drinkwell fountain, he can jump!
We got him the Super Tiger Post from Angelical Cat Furniture, and he can jump to the top in one leap (50 inches!).

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lol. I wish mine could jump. He has a hard enough time getting up the stairs that I made him so that he can get onto the bed. Spoiled Spoiled Kitty!

miyu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does he still have his claws, because that is so important to have if they canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t jump, is to be able to climb up. Older cats who are de-clawed have a very hard time getting up things, where as cats who were never declawed are much healthier. Can stretch properly, if they fall they can catch themselves. So I really hope you have not de-clawed since that could be adding to her pain and problems.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gothicangel69

I'm not talking about Munchkin cats. I was wondering if there is actually a gene that can cause a cat to have dwarfism. I'm asking this because one of my cats has abnormally short legs, a large head, short stubby neck, short stubby "fingers" and short tail. His middle is regular size though. To me he reminds me of what someone with dwarfism would look like it they were a cat.
I'm just wondering if there is a gene that can actually cause cats to be dwarfs, like in humans, or if he just looks like that for no reason in particular.
Yes!! It can be inherited and it can also be caused by a gene mutation. I found out about it while doing research on my youngest daughters' dwarfism a long time ago,which is officially known as Achondroplasia. Do a google search of Achondroplasia in cats and you will be amazed!

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, he still has all of his claws (although he may need to get one of his front "thumbs" de-clawed because of a bone infection. Hopefully the antibiotics will work!) I am completely against de-clawing (I volunteered for a vet clinic for the summer, and after seeing numerous de-clawings and ear croppings, I am strongly against both of them. Its a cruel thing to do)
I found a few good sites about dwarfism in cats. He does show the personality of a munchkin. (very affectionate, loves people, likes to hide things...like my glasses so I have to go looking for them all the time! lol) All of the websites say that munchkin's don't have lots of health problems though. Could this be because good breeders have bred all of the bad traits out of the breed, and since Zorro is just a regular cat that got the gene, that he has all of those health problems?
I did find a few other types of dwarfism, but I havn't had the time to look them up yet. I'll probably do that today.

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He used to be able to climb a little bit until he collapsed a disk in his back. What he would do is put his front two paws up onto the couch, do a couple 'up and down' squats with his back legs, then push like mad, claw with his front paws and kick with his back to get up onto the couch. It looked like it would take alot of effort, and he was always so proud when he made it up, lol.
Now I just make sure that there are stairs leading up to all the couches and bed since he's not supposed to jump or climb anymore.

emeraldlily90

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My grandma had a litter of kittens in which one was half the size of its brothers! At 3 months it was the size of a hand. We thought he was a dwarf, but he ended up growing to normal size later on. Dwarfism in cats is possible, but very, very, rare.