Is she close?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Honey23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How much has weight has she lost? How much was she eating at each feeding before and how much is she eating now?
It has lost 3g, was feeding 2ml every 2 hours but now its suckling and swallowing but not latching and taking 1ml at most

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens can sometimes lose a little weight their first day or two, then start gaining again. As long as she seems okay and is peeing and pooping, continue feeding every 2 hours but do not force more than she wants. She’s tiny, and maybe cannot hold much more than 1mL at a feeding.

What is her current weight?

H Honey23

Honey23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kittens can sometimes lose a little weight their first day or two, then start gaining again. As long as she seems okay and is peeing and pooping, continue feeding every 2 hours but do not force more than she wants. She’s tiny, and maybe cannot hold much more than 1mL at a feeding.

What is her current weight?
She’s currently 58g was born 57g

Honey23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im going to take her to vets first thing tomorrow morning

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you keeping her warm on a heating pad set on low covered by a blanket? She needs to stay warm.

A kitten this size would be in an incubator and possibly tube fed since her birth weight is that of a micro preemie.

Keep her warm and continue what you are doing for now. I’m not sure the vet can do anything unless they have an incubator and someone trained to care for her around the clock.

Due to her tiny size it’s going to be touch and go for now.

Honey23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you keeping her warm on a heating pad set on low covered by a blanket? She needs to stay warm.

A kitten this size would be in an incubator and possibly tube fed since her birth weight is that of a micro preemie.

Keep her warm and continue what you are doing for now. I’m not sure the vet can do anything unless they have an incubator and someone trained to care for her around the clock.

Due to her tiny size it’s going to be touch and go for now.
I have heat pad that you warm in the microwave and mom also lays with her. I don't have a electric one.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hang in there and let’s hope she begins to gain weight. Make sure she is warm when she is being fed and that the formula is slightly warm but not hot. Do the drop on your wrist test before feeding.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't realize kittens could lose weight like that.. but she is a teeny tiny little thing.. is that why she is just having a little bit of a rough start like not nursing on momma? I am really curious why she was eating about 2ml and now it is barely 1ml do you know what would cause that Sarthur2 Sarthur2

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is not strong enough to latch and suckle on her mom at only 57 grams. She weighs literally half of what a newborn kitten should weigh. Any weight under 90 grams is considered premature and she is quite a bit under that.

She does not have the ability to regulate her body temperature yet, hence why some rescues would put her in an incubator if they have the equipment.

A kitten this size needs to gain 3-6 grams per day, but can lose if they grow or are not getting enough formula, or if there are other problems.

A hand fed kitten needs 8mLs of formula for each ounce of weight each 24 hour period, so this kitten needs 16mLs of formula over 24 hours. Feeding every 2 hours around the clock equals 12 feedings of 1.5mLs per feeding. However, not every feeding might be the same — i.e. the kitten might take a bit more or less at a given feeding, which is why it’s important to keep an exact log to make sure the kitten gets the minimum needed to grow.

I hope this helps!

heatherwillard0614 heatherwillard0614 H Honey23

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is not strong enough to latch and suckle on her mom at only 57 grams. She weighs literally half of what a newborn kitten should weigh. Any weight under 90 grams is considered premature and she is quite a bit under that.

She does not have the ability to regulate her body temperature yet, hence why some rescues would put her in an incubator if they have the equipment.

A kitten this size needs to gain 3-6 grams per day, but can lose if they grow or are not getting enough formula, or if there are other problems.

A hand fed kitten needs 8mLs of formula for each ounce of weight each 24 hour period, so this kitten needs 16mLs of formula over 24 hours. Feeding every 2 hours around the clock equals 12 feedings of 1.5mLs per feeding. However, not every feeding might be the same — i.e. the kitten might take a bit more or less at a given feeding, which is why it’s important to keep an exact log to make sure the kitten gets the minimum needed to grow.

I hope this helps!

This helped explain the part I had no clue about.. and honestly I've never been around newborn kittens let alone a teeny tiny little thing as herself. I was just curious on her losing that much weight and not eating as much but that definitely makes sense.
I've never really had the opportunity to have kittens because when I adopt I go for older ones because kittens are always most people's choice at a shelter and I've always spayed/neutered. So this being said I've just not had the experience with Itty bitty kittens.
Thank you so much for breaking it down for me. I really do appreciate you taking the time to do so.

Honey23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I hope this helps!

Sadly she didn’t make it. Im so upset when i went to feed her she was breathing very heavily. I feel so bad for mom cat shes left with no kittens.
Thank you both for your help.
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 heatherwillard0614 heatherwillard0614