Is my Riley girl pregnant?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mamax3

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Actually a gain of only 6 grams is bare minimum, and should not be for more than 1 day.
You want to see at least a 10 gram gain or more, average is around 10-14 grams daily, but you won't see this until they are 2 days old and up.
In other words, from 48 hours old and on this should be their gains :)

Great that you have the formula and syringe in case!
So tomorrow when I weigh them it's ok if let's say they only gain 6g? But 48 hrs and older it should be 10-14g every day?

quinnmcc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok :) I'll keep a watchful eye on her. Then I'll weigh them all tomorrow.
Hello! Sorry I haven't been on here much today, I've been tending to the mama and new arrivals, and the other expecting mama. Hopefully she has them any day now! She's quite large, poor girl! The "yawning" you described is normal, mine do it too. They're practicing their baby hisses. They'll even start to kind of growl in a few days. They can also pant, if they get a little to warm. They'll usually hiss when they're smelling something other than their mama. Because their vision and hearing senses aren't yet developed, they have the hissing ability to warn predators and such. Extremely young, but ridiculously intelligent they are.

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So tomorrow when I weigh them it's ok if let's say they only gain 6g? But 48 hrs and older it should be 10-14g every day?
Yes, correct.

@quinnmcc  in all my years of cat rescue and experience in babies, I have never seen a newborn baby hiss.

Why would they? They can't see or hear yet, and have no clue about fearing humans, etc.

I have to disagree on that.

mybabysox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats nipples just stay the one colour but definitely pregnant as can see hair loss around the nipple area got really fat and felt babies move about but she goes to eat her food sometimes and then doesn't want it but ur cat looks definitely pregnant xx this is my baby [emoji]10084[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji]

quinnmcc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, correct.

@quinnmcc
 in all my years of cat rescue and experience in babies, I have never seen a newborn baby hiss.
Why would they? They can't see or hear yet, and have no clue about fearing humans, etc.

I have to disagree on that.
In all of my years of rescues, I have. At least I interpret it that way. I'm not sure why else they would. But I've seen them do it multiple times, and end up perfectly fine. Just because they do so, doesn't necessarily mean something is wrong with them. Having said that, the "hiss" at this stage, isn't your average full-grown cat hiss, obviously, they're babies. So, I can see why many people may just overlook it or interpret it as something being "wrong" with them. I had also watched a segment on this on Discovery, it's quite fascinating!! They will also do it to detect smell, which goes hand in hand with the possible hissing. Cats have a sensing organ on the roof of their mouth, where they open their mouths and appear to be panting, to decipher smell.

Last edited:

quinnmcc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In all of my years of rescues, I have. At least I interpret it that way. I'm not sure why else they would. But I've seen them do it multiple times, and end up perfectly fine. Just because they do so, doesn't necessarily mean something is wrong with them. Having said that, the "hiss" at this stage, isn't your average full-grown cat hiss, obviously, they're babies. So, I can see why many people may just overlook it or interpret it as something being "wrong" with them. I had also watched a segment on this on Discovery, it's quite fascinating! They will also do it to detect smell, which goes hand in hand with the possible hissing. Cats have a sensing organ on the roof of their mouth, where they open their mouths and appear to be panting, to decipher smell. /quote]

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In all of my years of rescues, I have. At least I interpret it that way. I'm not sure why else they would. But I've seen them do it multiple times, and end up perfectly fine. Just because they do so, doesn't necessarily mean something is wrong with them. Having said that, the "hiss" at this stage, isn't your average full-grown cat hiss, obviously, they're babies. So, I can see why many people may just overlook it or interpret it as something being "wrong" with them. I had also watched a segment on this on Discovery, it's quite fascinating!
I've found this to be true as well. I've read many other experiences that were the same and babies were fine. It was explained as a hiss. Just a tiny little attempt really.

Last edited:

quinnmcc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've found this to be true as well. I've read many other experiences that were the same and babies were fine. It was explained as a hiss. Just a tiny little attempt really.
Yes! That is just it, it's actually quite adorable. I've read that they do it when the family dog or something peeks in at them! Thank you for supporting my idea.

mamax3

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow that's kind of amazing such small babies do that. It's just the one girl and she breathes fast when doing it. That's why I was concerned.

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just keep an eye on them, as I'm sure you will, and hopefully all is well. It's always stressful for the last week of pregnacy and the first few weeks after kittens arrive. I tend to worry about every little thing lol.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow that's kind of amazing such small babies do that. It's just the one girl and she breathes fast when doing it. That's why I was concerned.
Please just keep an eye on her.

One day old kittens are blind, deaf and weak, and very fragile.

Yes kittens can hiss, from maybe a week old, though most do not, but a 1 day old is not.

This is not implying something is wrong either, I just don't want you to dismiss it in thinking that she is hissing.

Last edited:

mamax3

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please just keep an eye on her.
One day old kittens are blind, deaf and weak, and very fragile.

Yes kittens can hiss, from maybe a week old, though most do not, but a 1 day old is not.
This is not implying something is wrong either, I just don't want you to dismiss it in thinking that she is hissing.
I'll watch her good :) They are sweet little things. And my Riley girl is now completely comfortable. Coming downstairs and laying on my chest I sometimes think she gets annoyed that she has to leave my chest to go back to her babies lol

My 5 year old son calls the boy "Lego" haha The dark one in the front is the runt and she gained 5g already lol

Last edited:

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
They are beautiful! [emoji]128149[/emoji]

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is so funny because I hadn't followed this thread, and I literally just tooned in and read the first page, skipped to the last page and read it. I guess the answer to your question is YES, your Riley was indeed pregnant [emoji]128514[/emoji] Oh how I love being late to discussions.

mamax3

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Current situation. The babies are moving around and crying here and there and this is what Riley's doing. Normally she's right on top of their cries. Could she be maybe having a bit of the "post baby blues"? I'm not sure if I should help her out to give her a break or what. I just get nervous especially since the one baby does that odd thing and now the runt isn't moving around as much even with her siblings walking all over her. :/ I'm just a nervous cat grandma.

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do the kittens have a heat source other than Riley? If not, then you've got to put her back with her kittens. Kittens can't regulate their own body heat.

Also, does she tend to them when they cry or is she just sitting there ignoring them? Riley is probably tired, but she needs to be near her kittens so they can keep warm and are able to nurse. Kittens need to nurse about every hour and a half to 2 hours.

As for the runt not moving, he (or she) may be tired or maybe he is not getting enough milk from mom, or he might be cold if Riley has been on the other side of the room for a while.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that a heat source is a good idea. Are you weighing them every day? That will help you to know if they are eating and gaining enough. If not, you may have to sit with Riley and encourage her to nurse or start supplementing.