Is my Riley girl pregnant?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mamax3

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The scale may need to be reset or calibrated.  Is there a reset button?  Many times these scales can be reset to zero w/a bowl or dish on them so that you only weigh the contents and not the container.

Can you weigh something in you r cabinet that you know the weight of, like a can of soup or box of something that has the weight listed on the container.
I just weighed a can of soup that says its 10 oz and when I put it on fluid oz on my scale it comes up 6.7 oz

mamax3

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Got it! Thank you. It was because I was weighing on carpet lol

So I have

112g
107g
95g

mamax3

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes especially since one is very whiney and there is certainly a runt as well. Are these weights good?

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Edit: sorry. You got it figured out while I was typing.

Try using the scale on a hard surface instead of carpet. Using scales on carpet gives you inaccurate readings.

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry it took me so long to get here. I'm working the night shift and just got to my computer.

Without reading the entire 300 page thread, it looks like you have 3 decent weighing babies.

It also seems that mom is unhappy with her nesting area. This is important that she be happy and content with where she cares for them.

She will choose the quietest most private area, it is not recommended that you do the choosing for her, unless it is what I described, then you will see she spends most of her time with them, an unhappy mom is stressed and unsettled.

Also if you entice her to a spot with tuna, please allow her to eat some, or at least drink the water with maybe a bit of tuna in it too.

Most babies after the first day or two will gain about 1/2 ounce a day. They should gain at least 8 grams daily.

With only 3, there should be no problem with this unless you notice one particular baby going off and sleeping on it's own, that would be one to watch and weigh. 

If mom is attentive it's not usually necessary to keep a daily weight of them though.

You really won't need a heating source either, this is what mom is for, she will do everything needed for them, warmth, feeding, and pottying and nurturing. Your main job is to keep mom happy, very well hydrated and free fed dry along with a couple meals of canned daily.

Be sure they are all flea free. Her bedding should be clean and dry, and unless it is soiled a good deal, don't change it daily if not needed, that also adds stress. Smelling her own scent on the bedding is comforting.

mamax3

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is happy in her space. I have since given her tuna. The heat sorce is there because she's in a linen closet in the upstairs hall where there are central air ducts. Mama likes to come downstairs and hang out with the family for a bit. So the source is there for that reason, when mama needs a break.

The issue was with the baby @catwoman707. One of them opens their mouth and it looks sorta like a yawning panting type of thing, then she breathes fast during that time and stops. She's done it a few times. Not sure if I should be concerned.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of the babies opens its mouth like its panting and breathes fast then stops. It's done it a few times. Should I be worried??
How old are these babies, is this particular baby smaller or do you notice a lack of latching on and staying latched at all?

mamax3

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How old are these babies, is this particular baby smaller or do you notice a lack of latching on and staying latched at all?
24 hours old. They all seem to latch. She does get pushed off and not as good at finding the nipple as the other two. She's the one that weighs 107.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
24 hours old. They all seem to latch. She does get pushed off and not as good at finding the nipple as the other two. She's the one that weighs 107.
Okay so she's at least a good weight, but even more important is how feisty and determined a baby is, I've seen tiny runts fight off twice their sized babies for the nipple it wants! Never need to worry about them :)

I'm assuming that momma is not nor has recently been sick with a cold?

Basically keep a close eye on this one, making sure the weight gain is good each day, at this point that is really all you can do. If the daily gain is not good she may need some help and supplemented to get her thriving.

mamax3

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The runt is certainly a little fighter :) The brother (the biggest) is pushy and the whiner lol. This little girl is more laid back. She goes towards Riley's rear quite often and sometimes falls asleep away from everyone else. Riley hasn't been sick or anything. How much should they be gaining ? That way I know whether or not I'll have to supplement. I have PetAg powered KMR and a syringe just in case.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually a gain of only 6 grams is bare minimum, and should not be for more than 1 day.

You want to see at least a 10 gram gain or more, average is around 10-14 grams daily, but you won't see this until they are 2 days old and up.

In other words, from 48 hours old and on this should be their gains :)

Great that you have the formula and syringe in case!

Last edited: