Is my rescue cat making progress?

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Lots to answer there... yes she comes when we feed her, she often comes when called too, especially for bedtime. She takes treats straight from us and asks to be fed or to play.
She knows our routine really well and when we deviate from it, she let's us know. "Excise me, you are 5 minutes late with my food, this is unacceptable"
She behaves almost entirely the way all my other cats have behaved, except we cannot touch her. We have brushed her accidentally a couple of times when giving treats or feeding and she jumped about a foot in the air. She didn't run away, but she stopped eating and retreated to a safe distance. That was about a month ago now probably. I gave noticed when objects touch her, she freaks out less. Eg if the toy I am throwing for her touches her, she doesn't jump anymore, she just steps back and then plays.
Or if my phone charger brushes her when I'm picking up my phones, she doesn't really react anymore, when we first got her and it touched her, she'd be off back to her safe space

Interesting what you say about fingers, makes total sense! My partner says he thinks we should wait another month or so before we really attempt touching. I think he is saying that because she is making a jump forward in progress at the min and he doesn't want to trigger a set back
Yes,lol indeed that was a bit long winded,wasn't it- It's kind of hard to describe things in writing - so simple to just show someone but we don't have thst luxury --- so many times I think ' oh how I wish I could be there for even 10 minutes "

You have made wonderful progress and she is doing so very well,coming along nicely at an even stride forward- your boyfriend sounds like a nice fellow,very thoughtful & considerate- it's good to hear this precious baby is in a loving home

So to give you confidence and encouragement I will assure you both she's not going to go backwards and be traumatized by your efforts to make physical contact by grazing her as you have- of course it makes perfect sense thst she jumps from a brush of the " hand" & not objects- because of this many folks opt to use " extentions" to stroke or brush- it's not something I would ever do becsuse it does nothing to assure kitty the " hand" is no threat

Try just dangling your arm when she is near,be in that position already when she comes- as I mentioned,closed back of the hand ( the fist resembles a little cat head & not a giant paw with daggers)-it's okay if she jumps back ,don't react to it by pulling away- stay relaxed

I bend over and keep my arm close to my legs- just hanging down as I tap objects ....all my cats always learn my voice command" come on" using this method as well from very early on( despite their age). With fearful kitties it's always best to approach from the side (not over or straight on);but from below them grazing upward..... towards them is confrontational

If you've every observed kitties meeting other kitties they never approach directly straight on expect if they are either defending territory or displaying they are big,bad & not to be trifled with.....approach to be acceptanced they with " lower:" their heads & graze the other....... hope thst helps ❤

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol- tabbytom tabbytom & I seem to have been writing at the same time- his descriptive post is excellent- it is the proper way to make initial physical contact,non-threatening and 'friendly"

He goes on to explain the follow through after she no longer " jumps or flinches" at your touch ..... and notice,we both say" don't react,stay put & remain relaxed,confident calm " speaking softly with reassurance..... my little thing is " it's okay baby"...... no matter what's happening mine all look to me to hear " it's okay" and thsts means nothing to fear

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bettie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes,lol indeed that was a bit long winded,wasn't it- It's kind of hard to describe things in writing - so simple to just show someone but we don't have thst luxury --- so many times I think ' oh how I wish I could be there for even 10 minutes "

You have made wonderful progress and she is doing so very well,coming along nicely at an even stride forward- your boyfriend sounds like a nice fellow,very thoughtful & considerate- it's good to hear this precious baby is in a loving home

So to give you confidence and encouragement I will assure you both she's not going to go backwards and be traumatized by your efforts to make physical contact by grazing her as you have- of course it makes perfect sense thst she jumps from a brush of the " hand" & not objects- because of this many folks opt to use " extentions" to stroke or brush- it's not something I would ever do becsuse it does nothing to assure kitty the " hand" is no threat

Try just dangling your arm when she is near,be in that position already when she comes- as I mentioned,closed back of the hand ( the fist resembles a little cat head & not a giant paw with daggers)-it's okay if she jumps back ,don't react to it by pulling away- stay relaxed

I bend over and keep my arm close to my legs- just hanging down as I tap objects ....all my cats always learn my voice command" come on" using this method as well from very early on( despite their age). With fearful kitties it's always best to approach from the side (not over or straight on);but from below them grazing upward..... towards them is confrontational

If you've every observed kitties meeting other kitties they never approach directly straight on expect if they are either defending territory or displaying they are big,bad & not to be trifled with.....approach to be acceptanced they with " lower:" their heads & graze the other....... hope thst helps ❤
Yes! My boyfriend is the sweetest with her, he's been learning a lot too. He has less experience with cats and found it hard to get chatting to her. Now I hear him talking and call out to ask what he is saying and he replies "I'm not talking to you, I'm talking to Pumpkin" it's super sweet.

We'll have a go at your suggestions, there will be plenty of treats available!!!
Cute picture of the toe beans attached too!

Attachments

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Pumpkin makes my heart go pitter pat- motivated me to change my Avatar photo back to my beloved orange boy " Cheech" rip

You,your boyfriend and Pumpkin are going to make a lovely little family- I love your guys reply " not talking to you,talking to Pumpkin"

Hes a real keeper ( him and Pumpkin both);❤❤❤

Bettie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pumpkin makes my heart go pitter pat- motivated me to change my Avatar photo back to my beloved orange boy " Cheech" rip

You,your boyfriend and Pumpkin are going to make a lovely little family- I love your guys reply " not talking to you,talking to Pumpkin"

Hes a real keeper ( him and Pumpkin both);❤❤❤
Awww Cheech! What a sweet boy! I never thought I'd have a ginger kitty, but I am so glad I did!

🥰 Thanks, we love our little family.

ImaRobot

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Let's say he smells your fist, and the next move for you to do is gently glide your fist along his face from the front along the whiskers to the ear. If he does not smell your fist but stay put and not run away, you can also make the first move by gliding your fist along his face. This is the first step. Repeat several times.

After several attempts and he is ok, after you have reached his ear, slowly open up you fist and glide your back of your hand from the ear to the neck and then to the back. No sudden moves here and do not over do it till he gets much use to it.

Again, repeat the action and maybe have a treat to reward him after he lets you touch him.
This is exactly what I did, and it worked great. I actually never thought my current addition to the family would ever get close enough to me to even smell me when I first tried. When I was first getting to know her and trying to build some trust between us I would initially do nothing besides giving her food when I left to work in the morning and saw her outside, sometimes extending my hand outward so she can get a sniff if she'd like(didn't happen that often), and nothing more. After a good amount of time and routine, before I would even put the food down, I'd keep it in my hand but show her the back of my fist thinking maybe the food would entice her to come closer, which actually worked - I got my first headbut. After that I would do this everytime before I put the food down, and she'd headbutt every single time.

Now this little notion has been engrained in our greetings, anytime I see her I can put my hand out even if I don't have food and she'll scoot on up and give me a headbutt. Heck, even if I don't do it while I'm bringing her food bowl to her, she will do it on her own anyways. It's a nice little routine of trust. Honestly, it was the cornerstone of our budding relationship.

Bettie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is exactly what I did, and it worked great. I actually never thought my current addition to the family would ever get close enough to me to even smell me when I first tried. When I was first getting to know her and trying to build some trust between us I would initially do nothing besides giving her food when I left to work in the morning and saw her outside, sometimes extending my hand outward so she can get a sniff if she'd like(didn't happen that often), and nothing more. After a good amount of time and routine, before I would even put the food down, I'd keep it in my hand but show her the back of my fist thinking maybe the food would entice her to come closer, which actually worked - I got my first headbut. After that I would do this everytime before I put the food down, and she'd headbutt every single time.

Now this little notion has been engrained in our greetings, anytime I see her I can put my hand out even if I don't have food and she'll scoot on up and give me a headbutt. Heck, even if I don't do it while I'm bringing her food bowl to her, she will do it on her own anyways. It's a nice little routine of trust. Honestly, it was the cornerstone of our budding relationship.
I love that! So sweet.
Nothing beats a head bump from a kitty especially a hard earned one!
I'll try that with the food. Your shy girl sounds just like pumpkins start. She was hiding all the time, we called her our invisible cat to start. I might even have said it further up this thread!
I cannot believe how far she'll has come!