Is my rescue cat making progress?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Just a photo update. She's looking quite relaxed today.
She had a little play with me in the dark last night. Only for a minute or two, then she seemed to remember I was at the other end of the wand toy and backed away. But progress!
That's great to hear!

You can spray some catnip on da bird and present it to her and let her sniff it. That'll also kinda of calm her down too. If you don't have the catnip in spray form, you can crush some catnip and run your hands over da bird.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bettie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's great to hear!

You can spray some catnip on da bird and present it to her and let her sniff it. That'll also kinda of calm her down too. If you don't have the catnip in spray form, you can crush some catnip and run your hands over da bird.
I'll try that, thanks! I have the dried stuff, so hopefully that'll do for now. I'll have to get some spray stuff too

Bettie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This happened this evening!!! She sat on the sofa in my study and watched me! She even approached me and gave me a sniff
I kept as still as I could and didn't make eye contact.
She's getting so much more confident!

Attachments

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
This happened this evening!!! She sat on the sofa in my study and watched me! She even approached me and gave me a sniff
I kept as still as I could and didn't make eye contact.
She's getting so much more confident!
0F54D0BB-7345-49C0-8F5D-E19D646202BA$L0$001~photo.GIF

Great progress! You can make eye contact with her not with your eyes wide open. Just slow blink with her and look away and say good gal. This way is to show her that she is in control. You can peek from the corner of your eye while looking away to see if she slow blink back at ya. If she does, good sign. If she does not, continue to do slow blinks and look away till she respond to your slow eye blinks.

Last edited:

Bettie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
View attachment 460179

Great progress! You can make eye contact with her not with your eyes wide open. Just slow blink with her and look away and say good gal. This way is to show her that she is in control. You can peek from the corner of your eye while looking away to see if she slow blink back at ya. If she does, good sign. If she does not, continue to do slow blinks and look away till she respond to your slow eye blinks.
She will slow blink at us when we catch her eyes from her hiding spot, but if I turn to look at her when she is out and about, she'll run away before we get a chance to do the slow blink. I keep trying to have treats with me to give to her when she is near me, but I am a bit worried I am giving her too many...
She likes the churus or lick e lix, but they say to only give 2 a day for her size. I have taken to giving some of her wet food in a long handled spoon with a bit of treat on top, she tends to lick the treat and then a bit of the jelly/gravy, but doesn't have much of the meat, unless she is hungry.
My favourite thing at the moment is she knows her food time and will appear at her door looking at us if I call her food word. And she knows the sound of her dry food and will run to her door, but as soon as we approach she backs away. Sometimes she'll climb up her tree, but sometimes she'll stay at ground level and watch us as we place the food down. She is really progressing. It feels like her progress is suddenly speeding up a notch.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
She will slow blink at us when we catch her eyes from her hiding spot,
This is also good. She's just playing safe for the moment.

My favourite thing at the moment is she knows her food time and will appear at her door looking at us if I call her food word. And she knows the sound of her dry food and will run to her door, but as soon as we approach she backs away. Sometimes she'll climb up her tree, but sometimes she'll stay at ground level and watch us as we place the food down. She is really progressing. It feels like her progress is suddenly speeding up a notch.
Knowing her food time is great as she anticipate it and it shows that she's learning fast and yes, she's progressing well. Keep it up!

Bettie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We had our first selfie! On opposite sides of the room, but still!
She spends most of her day in my study now. She likes the spot behind the sofa.
When she's hungry she goes on her tree and watches and waits for her food. Then we bring her a treat and her food and she eats the treat on her tree and jumps down to eat with us in the room. At night I have a snooze on her room before bed and she hangs out on the floor with me, not too close, but she seems to like the company.

I had to take her to the vet for a booster and I got to cuddle her a little bit, she's so gentle. She wriggled a bit so I ended up with one arm underneath her front paws and she just had them gently placed on my arm. She could have clawed me to get away, but she didn't. She just cuddled up. It was only for a moment, but it was a great moment.
We are into our seventh week together now, still early days really isn't it?!

Attachments

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
When she's hungry she goes on her tree and watches and waits for her food. Then we bring her a treat and her food and she eats the treat on her tree and jumps down to eat with us in the room. At night I have a snooze on her room before bed and she hangs out on the floor with me, not too close, but she seems to like the company.

I had to take her to the vet for a booster and I got to cuddle her a little bit, she's so gentle. She wriggled a bit so I ended up with one arm underneath her front paws and she just had them gently placed on my arm. She could have clawed me to get away, but she didn't. She just cuddled up. It was only for a moment, but it was a great moment.
Fantastic! I think she likes her photos being taken! Looks like the progress is advancing. Watching and wait for food and eating and coming down to eat and sleeping near you and no struggle to escape when carried are very good signs. Yes, that moment is a real moment.

Could be 7 weeks a little early but it's not surprising. Keep doing what you are doing to strengthen then bond. Sometimes, it's just their character. They look cold but actual fact they are loving you to pieces too. The way I see it in her pose and the distance between you and her, this is one of her way to show you she's a lap cat. A lap cat is not necessary to be on your lap to be considered a lap cat. As long as she is somewhere in the room with you and at a position that she can see you, that's a lap cat.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise

So cute- she's very interested in her "person" - thanks for the updates on your progress,such a good report to hear,moving along nicely and yes,7 weeks is very early

She has a very sweet disposition,my guess is you're going to have many more magical cuddle moments in the near future

Bettie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update!

Photo 1: Someone is making herself comfortable on the sofa in my study. I put a pile of cushions on one half of the sofa and it is giving her a bit of cover so she feels safe enough to have a snooze in the open. She clearly wanted to get the morning sun.

Photo 2: doing her best impression of a mountain goat while exploring the living room.

We are still having to stay super still around her and can't approach her, but she's gradually more relaxed

Attachments

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Update!

Photo 1: Someone is making herself comfortable on the sofa in my study. I put a pile of cushions on one half of the sofa and it is giving her a bit of cover so she feels safe enough to have a snooze in the open. She clearly wanted to get the morning sun.

Photo 2: doing her best impression of a mountain goat while exploring the living room.

We are still having to stay super still around her and can't approach her, but she's gradually more relaxed
She's adorable- that face is just darling...... Great progress👍

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Update!

That's wonderful! Small steps do count!

Bettie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update!
I don't know if anyone wants to know, but this is a great record of progress so I'm posting!
We are officially 12 weeks in today
We don't have contact yet, but we have communication. Everytime I bring her food, she mews and we have a little chat as I put the food down. She'll turn her back on me and wash, but not much approaching.
Every night and every morning she requests treats and jumps next to me on the bed go get them, but won't voluntarily jump on the bed without treat motivation.

She is gradually exploring more rooms, her main rooms are her safe room, the hallway where she loves to play, running up and down and clattering about, and the bedroom where she spends most of the day now.

We haven't managed to convince her to play with us much, although we have tried, she just isn't convinced by us being on the other end of the toy.

If she wants something from me (food or treats, sometimes a litter clean) she will sit in the doorway and stare until I get the hint. 2 photos of her demand for treats attached, plus a sweet one of her relaxing on her tree. Enjoy!

Attachments

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Love the photos! What a sweet face she has. I've fostered several ginger females and every one of them was very anxious when they got to my house.... more so than ginger males or cats with other color coats. Some took longer than others to relax and start doing normal kitty stuff. Sounds to me like things are going really well for your new little girl.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Update!
I don't know if anyone wants to know, but this is a great record of progress so I'm posting!
We are officially 12 weeks in today
We don't have contact yet, but we have communication. Everytime I bring her food, she mews and we have a little chat as I put the food down. She'll turn her back on me and wash, but not much approaching.
Every night and every morning she requests treats and jumps next to me on the bed go get them, but won't voluntarily jump on the bed without treat motivation.

She is gradually exploring more rooms, her main rooms are her safe room, the hallway where she loves to play, running up and down and clattering about, and the bedroom where she spends most of the day now.

We haven't managed to convince her to play with us much, although we have tried, she just isn't convinced by us being t use on the other end of the toy.

If she wants something from me (food or treats, sometimes a litter clean) she will sit in the doorway and stare until I get the hint. 2 photos of her demand for treats attached, plus a sweet one of her relaxing on her tree. Enjoy!
This is wonderful! Verbal communications is a great sign and also requesting for treats is considered good contact. You can hide the treats in your palm and let her sniff your palm and while she is sniffing your palm, gently brush her cheek. Let her get use to this motion.
Try playing a ball with her and see how she responds to it.

Looks like she’s settling in well. Keep it up!