Is my kitten hyperactive, or is he just a kitten?

Attica1962

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 8 mo kitten usually spend his mornings at the window-sill, just looking at passers-by or dozing. We're away in the mornings, my husband goes to work and I'm at school or at the barn with my horses. He's active when I come home, but just exploring whatever it is I've brought home (shopping bags) or whatever I intend to cook. Then he just falls asleep again, and he can be deep asleep until after dinner time. Then he becomes very active, my husband plays with him (between 30 min and an hour) and he sleeps some more time. We know he's awake at night, but normally it is not much of a problem, just some objects out of place in the morning.

This weekend (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) I had a competition (I'm a regional showjumping judge), and we were away from 8 am. to 6 pm. When we came home, he was more active than usual. But today, he's just mad, running from one room to another, and he doesn't fancy to chase fake mice or balls anymore, he wants to fight.

I suppose this is because of the change in his routine? Because he is young? Or could it also be put down to a high protein diet? I know that excess protein can make a horse hyperactive, is it the same for cats?

P.D. Just while I'm writing this, he's been fighting a cardboard box ten times his size... and he's not giving up!!!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remember, cats are most active in the evening and in the morning. Those are the times when their natural prey would be most active. Being instinctual hunters, cats are most active when their prey (mice and small critters) are most active.

That's the reason why your kitty seems hyper in the evenings when you come home. His instincts make him want to hunt and play.

When you aren't there, at the usual time, to give him the stimulation he wants, he starts looking for other ways to "burn off" all that pent-up energy.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
This weekend (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) I had a competition (I'm a regional showjumping judge), and we were away from 8 am. to 6 pm. When we came home, he was more active than usual. But today, he's just mad, running from one room to another, and he doesn't fancy to chase fake mice or balls anymore, he wants to fight.

I suppose this is because of the change in his routine? Because he is young?
This is normal. Your cat misses you. This is how he express his feelings that he misses you and is very happy that you are home.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
One could guess that he maybe slept a lot while you were out on your long days. So when you came home he had a lot of pent up energy. It sounds like when the family has a routing he isn't quite as wild. He might want extra attention too so is maybe a bit more rambunctious. Is he fixed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Attica1962

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One could guess that he maybe slept a lot while you were out on your long days. So when you came home he had a lot of pent up energy. It sounds like when the family has a routing he isn't quite as wild. He might want extra attention too so is maybe a bit more rambunctious. Is he fixed?
Yes, he was neutered about a month ago. I guess it doesn't show yet...

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Coming from someone who has cats ranging from 9 years to 15 1/2 years, I so miss these crazy kitten antics. It's very normal, they get bursts of energy like that and I sit back and enjoy every second of it! My youngest, Lila, still occasionally zooms through the house and I LOVE it. It's so cute to me when she gets very wound up and plays like that.
My cats eat a higher than normal protein diet (raw) and it has not made them hyperactive or aggressive. Cats are carnivores, while horses are not, so I wouldn't worry about that.
If it ever becomes something YOU want, would you consider another kitten down the road so he has someone to play with? It's never a good idea to get a pet to entertain the pet you already have, but, if you would enjoy having two cats, he might really enjoy the company while you're out of the house.
Have you played cat TV for him? (Videos of birds, squirrels, etc.)?

I used to have horses as well. I miss them!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, he was neutered about a month ago. I guess it doesn't show yet...
It takes about a month for the beneficial effects of neutering to "kick in," so to speak.

When we took in our youngest cat, Elliot, he was not neutered. The first day after we brought him home after neutering, he was still groggy and couldn't find his box and ended up peeing on the floor. OMG!!! It stunk so bad we had to open all the windows in the house!

About a week afterward, his urine still smelled but he was using the box the way he should so it wasn't so terrible. Two weeks after that, his urine smell was starting to go away. A month later, his smell was about 'normal.' Today, a half-year later, you can hardly smell it at all.

During that time, he has also become the sweetest, most loving kitty you've ever seen! He sleeps with us every night and, whenever he sees an unoccupied lap, he'll be on it, in seconds, purring up a storm! :)

So, yeah, it'll take time but it's definitely worth it! :)