Is my cats incision site infected?

ValleyGrown

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any thoughts? She had pyometra surgery (spayed) 3 days ago which is why her wound is bigger than an average spay wound. I don’t know if I’m overthinking it or not but I can’t tell if it’s infected or not.

Attachments

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness, that is a large incision. It looks okay to me, though. There is a little inflammation on the one end, but I wouldn’t call it alarming. Just keep her from licking at it. 😉

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It looks great! You want to look for angry, red skin around the incision site, weeping from the incision site, or increased lethargy, or change in eating or litterbox habits.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks ok, I would make sure she is wearing a cone or an inflatable donut collar though to stop her from bothering it (if she isn't already).

I have had 2 cats with large abdominal incisions, both boys - 1 surgery on Radar to fix a large abdominal hernia, and 1 very major surgery on Jakey to remove a small growth that turned out to be nothing, but the vet removed a load of mammary tissue to be on the safe side. So he had an absolutely massive incision all the way up his abdomen and about 40 stitches, helping with his recovery from that was not fun, he had to have an inflatable collar (cone wasn't happening) for nearly 4 weeks.

If you have any doubt though, or if she has any fever or vomiting or sits hunched like she is in pain, please contact your vet right away, that is fairly major surgery.