Is my cat pregnant? Help!

Becc.xo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat ran away for about 3 days around 3 weeks ago. Her nipples used to be flat and white and now their bigger and pinker but I've never had a cat before so I don't know if it's just because she is getting older or because she is pregnant. Any help is appreciated.
VID_20081105_175540_547_exported_210.jpg
VID_20081105_175540_547_exported_3011.jpg
VID_20081105_175540_547_exported_510.jpg
VID_20081105_175540_547_exported_7269.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
If she's more than 6 months old and she isn't spayed then there is a very good chance that she is pregnant. A vet will be able to tell you for sure, but you could take a look at this article to give you a better idea.

How To Tell If My Cat Is Pregnant? - TheCatSite

Do you want her to have kittens? It's still early days, so a spay surgery could be done now if need be.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Becc.xo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If she's more than 6 months old and she isn't spayed then there is a very good chance that she is pregnant. A vet will be able to tell you for sure, but you could take a look at this article to give you a better idea.

How To Tell If My Cat Is Pregnant? - TheCatSite

Do you want her to have kittens? It's still early days, so a spay surgery could be done now if need be.
No I don't really want her having kittens as she's only young herself she's only 8 months old.. she is due in the vets for a check up for an eye injury next week so I will speak to them about our options then I'm just wondering if anyone who knows cats well could tell me if this does actually look like she is pregnant.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it seems she is preg, and the reddening 3 weeks after mating is typical.

You CAN spay neuter, no medical problems at all, and the surgery if done NOW isnt more difficult than otherwise.
But its better you do it NOW than later on... So if you are thinking on spay abort, dont wait for the eye controll... Get the spaying time now asap.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
No I don't really want her having kittens as she's only young herself she's only 8 months old
In that case I'd ask the vet about getting her spayed when you take her in next week. She will have almost certainly mated if she was gone for 3 days, and if she isn't pregnant this time she'll sneak out and try again next time she comes into heat.

I've had to have several young female rescue cats spayed in the early weeks of pregnancy. It's actually easier for the vet to do at that time then when they are in heat and the cats recover very quickly.

I agree with Stefan. Best not to wait.

:)

Becc.xo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, it seems she is preg, and the reddening 3 weeks after mating is typical.

You CAN spay neuter, no medical problems at all, and the surgery if done NOW isnt more difficult than otherwise.
But its better you do it NOW than later on... So if you are thinking on spay abort, dont wait for the eye controll... Get the spaying time now asap.
Okay thankyou, I will request an appointment with the vet today.

Becc.xo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I posted pictures the other day of my 8mo female cat as her nipples had started pinking and changing size. I have contacted the vets who cannot see her untill tuesday so she will be seen then but in the meantime I'm just looking for more opinions from people who have actually dealt with pregnant cats before. This is my first cat so I'm clueless. Does this actually look like she is pregnant or can the nipples change like this as cats grow into adults from being a kitten themselves?

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She appears to be pregnant, as others have also said. Do you plan to spay and terminate if so? She’s too young to have a litter while still a kitten herself.

Let us know what you decide after the vet appointment on Tuesday.

Becc.xo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She appears to be pregnant, as others have also said. Do you plan to spay and terminate if so? She’s too young to have a litter while still a kitten herself.

Let us know what you decide after the vet appointment on Tuesday.
I really don't want her having kittens If it's going to be too much for her at this age so I'll speak to the vets about our options and let you know.

mustithecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@ B Becc.xo Can I ask you a question, did you move the fur away from the nipples yourself so its more visable? I have a cat that may be 4 weeks pregnant but the nipples are just as big but not as prominent visable in the fur. I really have to search for them.

Becc.xo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I moved the fur slightly so I could get better photos, last week I couldn't see them without moving the fur, this week they are more visible without moving the fur but still a fair bit of hair around them, if she is pregnant she would be 4 weeks this week also. She's at the vets later to be checked over

mustithecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my cat has white fur so it looks a little different from your cat , but I did not spot a difference from week 3 to 4. So for you I think it will be a greater possibility. So sad that the circumstances are so unfortunate :( Is her behaviour or eating pattern also different from what it used to be?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like she is pregnant to me.....I have had a few cats spayed while pregnant too with no problems, just make sure the vet knows. Nipples do not become visible and prominent on a nonpregnant cat. Even as they mature. Even after nursing they eventually go back to being almost invisible. i would definitely say she is more than likely pregnant. I have never lost a young cat to spaying, but have lost several while they were giving birth. Especially when so young.

Becc.xo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat has white fur so it looks a little different from your cat , but I did not spot a difference from week 3 to 4. So for you I think it will be a greater possibility. So sad that the circumstances are so unfortunate :( Is her behaviour or eating pattern also different from what it used to be?
I know I'm honestly gutted its happened and I feel awful she managed to escape for this to happen. Yes she's very sleepy, very affectionate and eating a lot more than normal

Becc.xo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Looks like she is pregnant to me.....I have had a few cats spayed while pregnant too with no problems, just make sure the vet knows. Nipples do not become visible and prominent on a nonpregnant cat. Even as they mature. Even after nursing they eventually go back to being almost invisible. i would definitely say she is more than likely pregnant. I have never lost a young cat to spaying, but have lost several while they were giving birth. Especially when so young.
Thankyou for your opinion, I'm very worried about her because I don't want her to be in pain or become unwell so Im hoping the vets can help me with the best course of action for her. Secretly hoping they tell me she's not pregnant to avoid all the stress but we will see what they say later on.

Becc.xo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well I took her to the vet and was assured over the phone they could check her for pregnancy but the vet didn't even look at her stomach or touch it, she did the jabs she was scheduled to have and just told me 'its hard to tell untill their further along, you just may wake up one morning and have kittens' I explained I was worried due to her age and complications that could happen and she said to get her spayed so I asked to be out on the waiting list she said they have 300+ people on the waiting list but will phone me if an appointment for spay becomes available so I'm not happy with how the appointment went at all.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don’t blame you for feeling that way. What “jabs” did she get? Most vets do not vaccinate pregnant cats.

Is there another vet who might give you better service?

Becc.xo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don’t blame you for feeling that way. What “jabs” did she get? Most vets do not vaccinate pregnant cats.

Is there another vet who might give you better service?
It was her second kitten jabs, she had her first ones ages ago but I was in hospital so couldn't take her for her second ones so they made me do the first ones again, then refused to do them as she had an eye injury from when she escaped so only now I've been able to get her in for her second ones. She didn't seem bothered at all she just jabbed her and sent her on her way. She's with pdsa vets as they are the cheapest so I'm going to enquire with a private vet to see how much it will cost me to take her to them instead.