Is It Worth It To Leash Train A Kitten That Gets Scared Very Easily?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sounds like your mind is already made up, so I hope it goes the way you expect it to.
I just don't see the harm in trying. If it doesn't work, then oh well. But if it does work my cat will probably by a lot happier and healthier.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Back to leash-training a cat: If she does not like strangers inside her territory, she's going to hate being outside where there are many unknown people.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Back to leash-training a cat: If she does not like strangers inside her territory, she's going to hate being outside where there are many unknown people.
Then I guess I'll just keep her inside then? What's the harm in trying?

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Then I guess I'll just keep her inside then? What's the harm in trying?
The harm in trying is it will fail. She must learn to like strangers to be comfortable in an environment with lots of them. It would be different for a social cat.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The harm in trying is it will fail. She must learn to like strangers to be comfortable in an environment with lots of them. It would be different for a social cat.
We're probably not going to run into that many people.. I'll be going at night or early morning so we probably won't run into any humans, and she's fine with any animal.

I don't see the harm in failing? She's only 10 months old.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
You have to do it where there are no fast-moving cars.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think I'd go with early morning, now that you mention it, at least to start with.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think there is any harm in trying to see if she likes it. Quite a few members here take their cats out on harnesses and others have safe enough properties to let the cats go out for a bit without harnesses because they stay close to home. One of mine doesn't want to go outside; the other two enjoy it.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It isn't as if you are planning to just plop her in the middle of a busy sidewalk. She may never want to go out at all, and if she does, she may only want to go as far as your own front yard. Let her make those decisions. So long as she is given a lot of time to make up her mind, and isn't forced, why not try?

SIGH... I'm not in favor of letting cats out unattended. It just scares me. But I don't have a real problem with a fully-vaccinated, parasite-treated cat being on a leash in a controlled, safe area.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It isn't as if you are planning to just plop her in the middle of a busy sidewalk. She may never want to go out at all, and if she does, she may only want to go as far as your own front yard. Let her make those decisions. So long as she is given a lot of time to make up her mind, and isn't forced, why not try?

SIGH... I'm not in favor of letting cats out unattended. It just scares me. But I don't have a real problem with a fully-vaccinated, parasite-treated cat being on a leash in a controlled, safe area.
Yeah I can't imagine any worse idea then letting her out like that. It'll be through carefully planned steps.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Kinda off topic, but does anyone know where I can buy Revolution for a good price? I talked to a vet today, cause my one kitten was sick, and she mentioned that I don't really need heart worm medication if I just buy the right kind of revolution.

Didn't know there were different quality revolution.

Anyone know where you can buy bulk for a good price?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some of the mail order places are out of the USA, and have slightly different ingredients. If you can get your hands on a box with the ingreditent list, you can compare at the site. I've used a couple in the past. I did a quick google search and came up with so many sources that I'm just linking the search page!

revolution cat flea treatment cheap - Google Search

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Some of the mail order places are out of the USA, and have slightly different ingredients. If you can get your hands on a box with the ingreditent list, you can compare at the site. I've used a couple in the past. I did a quick google search and came up with so many sources that I'm just linking the search page!

revolution cat flea treatment cheap - Google Search
Yeah I forgot that it may need a prescription in the US. Although if I ship overseas it doesn't seem to be the case. Thanks!