Is It Worth It To Leash Train A Kitten That Gets Scared Very Easily?

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a 10 month female kitten. She frequently hides under the bed or recliner from sounds and I frequently find her under there when I get home. I already read through the process and know that she'll need some more medication before going outside safely.

Although the one thing that I've read that is a bit concerning is that scared cats aren't as likely to take up on it. I've plenty of patience for this, but the whole plan of getting her leash trained was to boost her confidence.

Thoughts?

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
What is this about medication? She does not need drugs just for being scared. Does she have a chronic anxiety problem that would warrant taking an antidepressant?

I hope you are not trying to train her to go outside. There's no reason to think at all about doing it. My signature says it all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What is this about medication? She does not need drugs just for being scared. Does she have a chronic anxiety problem that would warrant taking an antidepressant?

I hope you are not trying to train her to go outside. There's no reason to think at all about doing it. My signature says it all.
Heartworm prevention, flea treatment...

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - I think it's worth it - try it (the harness, then with the leash hooked on) inside first, as you've probably researched, see how she does, lots of petting and a treat or two now and then through the process.
Then try right at the open doorway, then just outside but with the door open, etc. A gentle transition - it's no guarantee that something might scare the daylights out of her but that's the case with any cat. You just need to be alert.
Or, you could look into a mesh enclosed baby carriage type of thing for her, all the while keeping a lookout for scary things.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi - I think it's worth it - try it (the harness, then with the leash hooked on) inside first, as you've probably researched, see how she does, lots of petting and a treat or two now and then through the process.
Then try right at the open doorway, then just outside but with the door open, etc. A gentle transition - it's no guarantee that something might scare the daylights out of her but that's the case with any cat. You just need to be alert.
Or, you could look into a mesh enclosed baby carriage type of thing for her, all the while keeping a lookout for scary things.
Yeah I probably won't really attempt to go outside for a few weeks after getting her use to the harness.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah I probably won't really attempt to go outside for a few weeks after getting her use to the harness.
Why would you attempt to take her outside all, ever? No cat needs to go outside. I can't even count how many reasons there are to keep her inside 24/7.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If she is properly vaccinated and has the proper flea/heartworm preventatives, and since you will be with her every step of the way, I don't see why you should not attempt this. If you were talking about just letting her out, I'd feel very differently. But do take it slow. I think that the best advice has been to start out (after she is comfortable with the harness) simply sitting in the doorway with the door opened. And you are, in all probability, looking at several weeks, if not months, of slow work with some setbacks.

Do be aware, however, that if she goes outside on grass or dirt, she will almost certainly pick up a worm infestation as some point. The eggs and larvae live in dirt and grass.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Why would you attempt to take her outside all, ever? No cat needs to go outside. I can't even count how many reasons there are to keep her inside 24/7.
More enriching life? If it's a safe environment I don't see why not.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If she is properly vaccinated and has the proper flea/heartworm preventatives, and since you will be with her every step of the way, I don't see why you should not attempt this. If you were talking about just letting her out, I'd feel very differently. But do take it slow. I think that the best advice has been to start out (after she is comfortable with the harness) simply sitting in the doorway with the door opened. And you are, in all probability, looking at several weeks, if not months, of slow work with some setbacks.

Do be aware, however, that if she goes outside on grass or dirt, she will almost certainly pick up a worm infestation as some point. The eggs and larvae live in dirt and grass.
Yeah the dirt and potential pests will be one of my biggest concerns.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree - even if you don't ever go very far outside the door, she'll be getting more smells, more sights, more sounds than she does just looking out the window.
Yeah especially since I do have a small apartment, exciting sights, she'll get more exercise, and hopefully some more confidence.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No harm in trying. It was an epic fail with the first of two ferals I TNR'd last year. I felt sorry for her going from totally outside kitten, to TNR, to being socialized in my bathroom for a few days, then confined to my bedroom a while longer. I thought, "She must be miserable," though she showed no actual signs of misery, just skittishness. I bought her a kitten harness, put a blanket out in the yard for me to sit on, carried her carrier/hideout outside and tied a very long clothesline to the end of the leash so I could sit and she could go on a fun adventure. Lastly, I carried her out, sat down on the blanket and let her go. She totally freaked out. It was a disaster!

So, um, yeah...go as slowly as possible just seeing if your kitty is even interested in sitting at the threshold of an open door before deciding for her that outside is something she'll enjoy or need. I rushed my girl, assuming she'd love it. She has zero interest in going outside again. She probably has bad memories of her first 4 months surviving "out there" in fear.

I've had cats who enjoyed going out some and some who never wanted to set foot outside again after living inside for awhile.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
To me, taking an easily frightened cat outdoors is unnecessarily stressing her and an hysterical cat can wriggle out of about anything. I strongly doubt that the experience is going to make her more confident and may actually end up making her more anxious and fearful.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
More enriching life? If it's a safe environment I don't see why not.
It is not more enriching outside than inside unless the cat is a feral still learning to be someone's pet. There is no such thing as a safe environment outside either.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is no such thing as a safe environment outside either.
I wouldn't go that far. My senior domestic cat has always liked dashing out the door. Then he goes about 4 feet, lies down and rolls on the concrete for a few minutes or he may venture into the grass, sit, and "oversee" the yard for a bit. His personality is such that I've never worried about him roaming and he seems to enjoy a few minutes in the sunshine and fresh air here and there. I don't leave him outside, but he is safe in the yard and brief outings seem to make him happy.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
To me, taking an easily frightened cat outdoors is unnecessarily stressing her and an hysterical cat can wriggle out of about anything. I strongly doubt that the experience is going to make her more confident and may actually end up making her more anxious and fearful.
That's certainly a concern. But I'll going at it very slowly. And sure anything is possible, but if one stays at the right angle it's not as likely a cat will wriggle out of it.

"strongly doubt that the experience is going to make her more confident and may actually end up making her more anxious and fearful."

Ehh we'll see, if it doesn't work out, it's not going to do any long term damage to her. She's already escaped once.

Last edited:

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It is not more enriching outside than inside unless the cat is a feral still learning to be someone's pet. There is no such thing as a safe environment outside either.
I don't know it seems like in some parts of Europe it's considered cruel to keep your cat indoors all the time. Talked to some british rescues and they sometimes don't adopt out unless you give the cats outdoors time.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know it seems like in some parts of Europe it's considered cruel to keep your cat indoors all the time. Talked to some british rescues and they sometimes don't adopt out unless you give the cats outdoors time.
I will spend a lot of time researching the cultural differences there because science is clear that they are wrong - no matter where you live, your cat is safer inside.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I will spend a lot of time researching the cultural differences there because science is clear that they are wrong - no matter where you live, your cat is safer inside.
I don't think anyone is arguing that an inside cat is less safe then an outside cat... Unless you want to argue long term health of getting more exercises, which I don't think anyone here is. Plus I'm once again talking about a cat just getting some leash walking.

Here's a reddit post that had a lot of uk cat owners talking about it if you're curious.