is innova really worth it?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LondonKat

I am also shocked to learn that vets don't know any of this... how can they be the medical authority and not know the latest research like in any other field? I am floored.

Thanks!
The keys words here are "medical authority". Most vets do NOT get much in the way of nutrition training at vet school, thus most vets are pretty ignorant of quality foods.

Addressing the remark re "gimmicky water fountains", our cats love the water fountain and drink much more water that ever before. Just as our bodies benefit from drinking more water I can only believe our cats do as well.

When it comes to food advice, I'll trust Sharky's above a lot of others as she has done her homework and knows of what she speaks.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was not KNOCKING it just saying I will pass since that basic statement send s me the other way since IT GOES AGAINST every other Natural vets advice
... I do read alot of different stuff from all sources

Vets like your dr get one course of nutrition... and unlike human drs a vets is mostly written by RX food companies... so unless they do a sub set degree ( like mine who has a masters in animal nutrition ) they only get education from the RX perspective, which I do appreciate

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
sharky can you please tell us what you think of innova lite for fat cats?

OR innova adult? (red bag)

How would they compare to orgin?

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I was not KNOCKING it just saying I will pass since that basic statement send s me the other way since IT GOES AGAINST every other Natural vets advice
But most people do not have experience with any natural vets.

I checked out the pricing in my local store while I was getting litter

Innova's biggest bag is $47
EVO is $65
Orijen is $55

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

But most people do not have experience with any natural vets.

I checked out the pricing in my local store while I was getting litter

Innova's biggest bag is $47
EVO is $65
Orijen is $55
So true

here EVO runs about 50 for a big bag..

orijen I dont have locally and am waiting for a shipping quote

I WOULD NOT suggest the light the fat IMHO is too low ... the red bag is fine depending how much grain you are okay with... the light wet IS EXCELLENT

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ok thanks

Here is my big issue i have 3 cats that have diff needs

I have a growing kitten

I have a senior cat who is in PERFECT shape! BUT he has bad teeth and the vet suggests I use something specially made for teeth which is why I mix T/D in it

I have a cat that gains weight really fast and gets fat, she turned into a hippo when she was on EVO dispite all the exercise she got

I do give canned food few times a week (EVO & innova) but I still like to have a stable dry food, canned is more of a treat they all get while dry food is left out 24/7

My senior cat has an amazing body but his coat is kinda looking nasty but then again hes 15 years old so thats suppose to be expected! BUt he gets white flakey dandruff sometimes and his hair just gets knotty, I do brush him

Any personal advice for dry food for my situation?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
UMmm your needing three formulas unless you find a great all stage .... Natural balence may work for the older and the kitten... i would suggest a indoor formula for the other ... Nutro and Royal canin make good ones

mechanicalman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Addressing the remark re "gimmicky water fountains", our cats love the water fountain and drink much more water that ever before.
I'm glad your cats like them, but the fountains seem like a PITA to me, and I don't think my cat is interested. I've provided her with running water, and she doesn't show any interest. Some cats don't care about them, and some cats are even "scared" of them. I don't doubt that that they work well for some people, but cats have wildly varying reactions to water, and I'm very skeptical about their effect on the "average" cat.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MechanicalMan

I'm glad your cats like them, but the fountains seem like a PITA to me, and I don't think my cat is interested. I've provided her with running water, and she doesn't show any interest. Some cats don't care about them, and some cats are even "scared" of them. I don't doubt that that they work well for some people, but cats have wildly varying reactions to water, and I'm very skeptical about their effect on the "average" cat.
One of mine won't use it, one of mine uses the water bowl AND fountain, and one of mine ONLY drinks out of the fountain.
They keep me on my toes. I agree that not all cats like them.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by chausiefan

ok thanks

Here is my big issue i have 3 cats that have diff needs

I have a growing kitten

I have a senior cat who is in PERFECT shape! BUT he has bad teeth and the vet suggests I use something specially made for teeth which is why I mix T/D in it

I have a cat that gains weight really fast and gets fat, she turned into a hippo when she was on EVO dispite all the exercise she got

I do give canned food few times a week (EVO & innova) but I still like to have a stable dry food, canned is more of a treat they all get while dry food is left out 24/7

My senior cat has an amazing body but his coat is kinda looking nasty but then again hes 15 years old so thats suppose to be expected! BUt he gets white flakey dandruff sometimes and his hair just gets knotty, I do brush him

Any personal advice for dry food for my situation?
There are many threads on the usefulness of TD food for teeth. Basically, if his teeth are already bad nothing can really help them, TD has limited teeth cleaning abilities IF your cat chews on every tooth (most cats do not chew dry food) but can not make their teeth better, nor attempt to clean them if the cat does not chew using all teeth.

It sounds like you would be best trying to find something that is all life stages, the brand is personal preference. To be honest, as much as we can all recommend foods, they work for our cats but may not work for yours (like EVO, some cats gain, others lose and you have to monitor amounts of it carefully)

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as fountains, mine all love them and I do not find them gimmicky at all. It saves me cleaning a soaked floor from Boomer emptying water over the floor too.

I guess it is personal preference for cats, like some people prefer different types of glasses to drink from, but I wouldn't go as far as to say they are gimmicky

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

As far as fountains, mine all love them and I do not find them gimmicky at all. It saves me cleaning a soaked floor from Boomer emptying water over the floor too.

I guess it is personal preference for cats, like some people prefer different types of glasses to drink from, but I wouldn't go as far as to say they are gimmicky
Ah yes - Boomer.

I guess we were lucky - our two took to the fountains immediately. The first fountain I got was PetMate and the motor gave out after 6 months. It also had open water in the bottom bowl which got dirty with "stuff" falling in it. I replaced it with a CatIt and the water stays clean, the kitties love it and I find it easy to clean. I clean it out completely every Saturday and every 3 or so weeks I put vinegar in it to clean out any scale.

The cats drink so much more water that I certainly don't consider it a gimmick in any way. It also saves washing and supplying fresh water bowls twice a day. By changing to a better food and adding a fountain, our kitties look healthier, Bijou has dropped some of his extra weight and both have shiny, velvet-looking fur.