Is he sick??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jlphilli

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, I spoke too soon....he just threw up the little bit of baby food I got him to eat

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ring an ER vet for advice, make sure to describe the situation and previous vet advice.

Be prepared to bring him in if necessary.

jlphilli

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I called them and they said it was up to me what I wanted to do. They said I can bring him in now and they can do BW & an xray, etc etc, but they said since he is drinking and moving around, I might as well wait til the morning, try feeding him again and taking him to his reg. vet if necessary....

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's sounding like that baby has ingested something he shouldn't have.

I hope he gets everything righted real soon.

jlphilli

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I hope he does too. So far he slept for awhile, and got up and ate some of his dry food (a few bites) and is now back asleep....I'm hoping he can keep it down. If he's not throwing up tommorow and eating a little (in which case I won't take him back to the vet) do you guys think I should get some dry I/D and keep him on that for awhile? (I know sd isn't great, but just to be safe)

phantomsr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd be a little worried by now. Did you have a good look around the house to see what he could have possibly licked, chewed, or ate? Do you have any live houseplants at all? As much as it sucks to find out you wated your money on tests to show your cat is fine, it really hurts to find out you didn't do something in time. I lost a cat on July 2nd after he managed to sneak a lilly flower from the table and eat it a couple days earlier. Neither my g/f and I thought anything of it at the time and we had to put him down due to complete kidney failure. We felt terrible because we checked every houseplant for toxins before we got them but this was just a flower she had picked for her hair and set on the table.

I'm not trying to frighten you as I'm sure your cat is fine. I would be requesting some bloodwork though as it's not that expensive and will usually show any serious issues. An X-ray will only show a blockage and that doesn't really sound like the problem and the vet seems to agree.

zazi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ask your vet or local pet store about vitamin gel.
i use a brand called nutrigel and a few cm's is enough to keep them going through a rough patch like this. It is also very quick and easy to administer.

you have not tried chopped liver? you may want to try some boiled chopped liver and a bit of butter. that should do the trick. kittens are very fond of liver.

it's important to coax them to eat even if just a few mouthfuls at a time.

with one kitten that i recently nursed back from the brink of death i used chopped/bolied liver, an egg yolk and some chicken nd boiled all of that and then pureed it in a blender... it has to be about the consistency of toothpaste...

then i used a plastic syringe with the end chopped off to feed the kitten. that was very very useful.

you may have to dab a bit of butter onto the end of it.

you should try to get them to eat a few mouthfuls every hour or so...

it's good that you are taking kitten to the vet
there are a lot of people who will just leave thm to see what happens and with an adult cat sometimes this is ok but with kittens they can suddenly go down hill very quickly.

anyway,
good luck and i hope everything turns out ok.

also as suggested make sure your vet knows what house plants you have.... and if you have any of thse little fertiliser pellets you should inform your vet of that too.

jlphilli

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will ask the vet about the vitamin gel today...it looks like he's going to have to go back to the vet. Last night he ate a little bit of dry food and this morning he drank, and then threw it all up again. He is still drinking ALOT, which I guess is a good thing. We don't have any house-plants around, so I know it wasn't fertilizer...*sigh*. I am going to try and give him some more I/D canned this morning and see if he can keep it down....if not, back to the vet. I may try the chopped liver if he can keep down the canned food.

zazi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
it's odd that your vet has not prescribed anything by now....

i don't know what it is but it sounds like it should warrant some medication...

some vets are real quick to put a kitten onto the drip when they haven't eaten... others not so much.

something else to have on stand by os some chicken broth... you'd be better off making it yourself from a skinned chicken. steam the chicken and substitute the broth for water.... since kitten is drinking this paired with the vitamin gel might be a good tie over...

actually something you can do right away is turn your water into pedialyte.
* Pedialyte formula (from World Health Organization)...no preservatives so short life-span
* 1 cup water
* 2 tsp sugar
* 1/8 tsp salt
* 1/8 tsp baking soda
* (this Pedialyte formula gives needed electrolytes & some sugar for energy)

i'm trying to think of some other alternatives....

there's another message board at cathelp-online.com where the members will give you some really good vet quality advice and even make some suggestions about what other questions you can ask your vet.

i am also a member there...

i would be very very hesitant to recommend that you try kitten-glop bcause sometimes that makes the vomiting worse.... just try the pedialyte and you can add the chicken broth to that.

if you get the vitamin gel that'd be great beacuse it has everything your kitten needs.

jlphilli

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, so this morning everytime he took a drink of water, he threw it up less than a minute later. I took him to his regular vet and they need to do Xrays (obstruction), BW, etc etc, and so now I'm having to take him to a different vet at 11am that allows payment plans because I am out of money until next Friday *gah!* I will keep you updated....keep your fingers crossed!

I'm not going to try and feed him anything b/c he obviously can't keep it down, and I don't want to upset anything further.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck. You both are in my prayers.

This really seems a stupid question, but will your regular vet not even consider a payment plan?

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Satai

Good luck. You both are in my prayers.

This really seems a stupid question, but will your regular vet not even consider a payment plan?
My regular vet doesn't accept payment plans either. The only consideration they will give to treatment without money up front is a post dated check,.

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jlphilli

Ok, so this morning everytime he took a drink of water, he threw it up less than a minute later. I took him to his regular vet and they need to do Xrays (obstruction), BW, etc etc, and so now I'm having to take him to a different vet at 11am that allows payment plans because I am out of money until next Friday *gah!* I will keep you updated....keep your fingers crossed!

I'm not going to try and feed him anything b/c he obviously can't keep it down, and I don't want to upset anything further.
See if your vet offers CareCredit. I'm in your area and I found out about it through the Bowman Animal Hospital when Autumn had a sudden chin infection/skin problem and was going to cost a lot in treatment. Its like a credit card for emergency medical expenses. They allow different options interest free for 3-6 months, which makes it easier to pay back over time. I know not many vets do payments, but if you have a long reputation with a particular vet they will let you. In the meantime CareCredit is sometimes convenient.

zazi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
oh you poor things!!!
I really hope your vet oks the treatment.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Where are you?
Are there any shelters nearby? I know that they can sometimes give discount services...

Also, and this is a real stretch but if there are any veterinary hospitals that could be an option. Maybe some of the doctors there will consider treatment.

Gosh- i hope things work out ok! You're doing better than most i guess.... a lot of people wouldn't have taken the steps you are taking... You're doing your best and we're all here for you!

jlphilli

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok update!

I took him to the vet (thankfully they have carecredit which I am doing). We took an Xray and saw that his colon was filled with either fluid or gas (it was swollen pretty big). He gave him a shot of Tylosin which is what they use to treat colitis, since the fecal came back with bacteria in it. We are going to give him water only by syringe every few hours to see if he can keep it down, and go from there...no food til tommorow though. I gave him his first cc of water, so I'm hoping he will keep it down!

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh good! It sounds like they might be on track now. Hopefully your little guy will go through it ok. CareCredit is pretty nice, we have one more payment and then we are done with Autumn's sudden expenses. Now we are saving up our rainy day fund so we don't have to rely on it anymore but it really can save you if you need it.

jlphilli

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, so far he has kept down the water I have been giving him through a syringe. He also had his first bowel movement (since the past 24 hours). Even though it was liquid diarrhea, at least he passed something! Now the vet told me not to feed him tonight, but he is just laying around sleeping (probly bc he's so weak).....do you think I should try to give him some canned I/D...just a little bit?? It's been so long since he's had food....

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jlphilli

Ok, so far he has kept down the water I have been giving him through a syringe. He also had his first bowel movement (since the past 24 hours). Even though it was liquid diarrhea, at least he passed something! Now the vet told me not to feed him tonight, but he is just laying around sleeping (probly bc he's so weak).....do you think I should try to give him some canned I/D...just a little bit?? It's been so long since he's had food....
Ring the vet/ER vet before you give him anything, explaining how long it's been since he's had food - I think he should probably eat, but I don't really know.

zazi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As is evryone else.... i'm so relieved to hear that at least you have a good diagnosis now!

You can substitue the water for pedialytye.... but check with the ER vet first, also ask about some weak chicken broth... and maybe even some natural yogurt.... after having not eaten for so long a sudden mouthful of food could be a bit of a shock to the system.

Does he seems like he is in pain at all?
I have a cat who had the EXACT same symptoms as your cat and we also did an x-ray which turned out to look like gas so the vet treated it as gas but it was actually an abcess.

By the time they figured out it was an abcess and not a gas/collitis problem the abcess was so big that it required several operations to close it.

My cat was very obviously in pain and lying to one side and meowing.... if your cat is not doing this then probably it is not the same... it just surprised me that both had such similar diagnosis