Is fish really bad?

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
At the end of the day, the best food is the food your cat will eat. Generally, I try to feed mostly meat and poultry based foods. Occasionally I'll give them a fish flavored can or a little bit of tuna, for variety. They honestly don't seem to like it any better than their regular food (the fish flavored food, at least; tuna is another story, second only to cheese), but clearly not all cats are the same in this regard. If I had to make a choice, I'd rather feed a higher quality seafood based food than a lower quality meat or poultry based one. I'm more wary of the consequences of poor quality food than the consequences of seafood in particular. That said, since canned meat/poultry based food is within my budget, that's what they usually eat, with some seafood thrown in every now and then as an indulgence.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's a generalization that must really grate on your nerves every time you log on. I may not have the time to research every single pet product, but i do know that people in Asian countries love their pets and provide me with affordable products, such as kitten-safe harnesses and carriers that may have been designed for rats, ferrets, and other pets that USAmericans routinely consider "disposable" or less worthy of care and attention than dogs and cats.

I'm very grateful to my eBay sellers for helping me give my Willow the best quality of life that I can.

/off topic rant
Yes it does. A lot of things that we do here are considered “bad” in the eyes of these writers. We’re doing the best we can with what we have. To us, fish is considered a “premium” food even to people. Not everyone can afford to feed their own families fish on a daily basis; let alone feed their pets canned food. Most pets here get by with leftover food like rice mixed with anchovies or just any fish. As long as the pets are eating it’s a good thing.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have never heard that everything from Asia is bad. l have heard that people don't like ingredients in pet foods to come from China because of several health concerns with foods from China years ago. But, there are many pet foods here that are made, for example, in Thailand (Weruva, Tiki Cat) that people have mostly good things to say about.
That’s true however those 2 brands are made for export to more developed countries because of their premium price. One can of Weruva cost as much a lunch meal for me and probably 2 pairs of shorts in Thailand.

Only a tiny handful of stores would take in this brand due to the low sales turnover.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That really depends on which part of Asia you're in. In Japan pretty much all of the pet food, even the ones sold as beef or chicken, contain some fish. Meat isn't a big part of the Japanese diet. Supermarkets sell small cuts of very expensive pre-packed chicken, pork or beef, but it's very rare to see things like turkey or whole joints of meat for sale. A whole chicken would cost you around $50 - $60.

What's more all the supplements you'd need for making a raw diet would need to be imported, as would a commercial/ready made raw diet. It might be possible to feed one cat an imported commercial raw diet, but preparing your own raw food or feeding more than one cat a raw diet is a different matter.

blumarine916 blumarine916 are you feeding your cats Fancy Feast? It's not a bad food at all, if that's what you can afford and your cats like it then stick with that. A little bit of fish now and then as a treat, or to tempt them to eat when they're feeling unwell is OK.
I feed them a mix of Fancy Feast and some other brands which are probably unheard of in US. The Fancy Feast here are mostly fish like Tuna. Only one is Roasted Chicken. No other meats available.

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes it does. A lot of things that we do here are considered “bad” in the eyes of these writers. We’re doing the best we can with what we have. To us, fish is considered a “premium” food even to people. Not everyone can afford to feed their own families fish on a daily basis; let alone feed their pets canned food. Most pets here get by with leftover food like rice mixed with anchovies or just any fish. As long as the pets are eating it’s a good thing.
I should amend my previous post to say that the best food for the cat is one the cat will eat and one you have access to and can afford. I know we all want the best for our cats, but there is no shame in having to make some compromises on food. I'm no stranger to this myself. All I can do is try my best to provide the most nutritious food my budget allows, to the best of my abilities.

If fish is what you are able to get, then that's what you'll have to feed. Maybe there are better foods, but that hardly does you any good if you can't access them, so just do what you can with what you have. There's no shame in that.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
That’s true however those 2 brands are made for export to more developed countries because of their premium price. One can of Weruva cost as much a lunch meal for me and probably 2 pairs of shorts in Thailand.

Only a tiny handful of stores would take in this brand due to the low sales turnover.
I think these are 2 separate issues though. The issue of whether fish is the best protein option for cats or “healthy” is separate from the issue of your access to food living in an Asian country. I think it’s unfortunate that you don’t have a lot of options and I sympathize with you. If I were in your position I might do the same thing in terms of feeding fish. But, that doesn’t change the fact that fish is not the best protein option for cats and could potentially be harmful in some ways. I do think that Americans often have warped and misinformed views of other countries around the world (let’s face it, we’re pretty narcissistic), but I still wouldn’t recommend fish as a primary protein if someone has access to other options.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I have stopped buying canned tuna or any canned fish cat food long time ago, as my indoor cats refuse to eat them. And they are really too smelly and attracts flies, like the ones from Snappy Tom.

For my cat Pepsi in the Philippines, I order online from here at this online shopping site Lazada and have the canned foods deliver to our door, and replenish them on a weekly basis. I order the canned food along with the food supply of my 3 dogs too. Usually it would only be chicken and beef flavors, at times Turkey. No fish canned foods also.

It is true that most household in some parts of Asia particularly in my country cannot afford to buy cat food for their pet cats (or dogs). The pets would just eat left-overs. Not ideal and healthy, but sadly there is mostly no other option. With the rising costs of everything, families would prioritize to buy food for the humans.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have stopped buying canned tuna or any canned fish cat food long time ago, as my indoor cats refuse to eat them. And they are really too smelly and attracts flies, like the ones from Snappy Tom.

For my cat Pepsi in the Philippines, I order online from here at this online shopping site Lazada and have the canned foods deliver to our door, and replenish them on a weekly basis. I order the canned food along with the food supply of my 3 dogs too. Usually it would only be chicken and beef flavors, at times Turkey. No fish canned foods also.

It is true that most household in some parts of Asia particularly in my country cannot afford to buy cat food for their pet cats (or dogs). The pets would just eat left-overs. Not ideal and healthy, but sadly there is mostly no other option. With the rising costs of everything, families would prioritize to buy food for the humans.
My cats won’t eat Snappy Tom because it looks/smell bad LoL. Recently I tested a few new brands like Burp and Applaws. They also mainly use fish but they also have other meats. Quite pricey though and my cats liked them. Expensive taste >.<

Yeah I totally hear you on that. I’m in Malaysia so it’s pretty much the same here. The same goes for veterinary care. Some people can’t even afford medical care for themselves let alone send a sick kitty to the vet. However, these pets also get a lot of love, however poor the owners are. I think that’s the most important thing.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
However, these pets also get a lot of love, however poor the owners are. I think that’s the most important thing.
This is a bit off topic, but I once read a series of arguments on social media about this owner who could not afford to bring his very sick pet (dog) to a vet and asking for financial help online. Somebody snapped and said that the owner should not have taken in a dog in the first place if he could not afford veterinary care; and to which another one replied; "Why? Is having pets only for the rich?", and to which the same person who previously commented snapped back, "It is not being rich, but being able to provide the pet a quality of life and immediate access to vet care!"

I did not join in their verbal assaults.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is a bit off topic, but I once read a series of arguments on social media about this owner who could not afford to bring his very sick pet (dog) to a vet and asking for financial help online. Somebody snapped and said that the owner should not have taken in a dog in the first place if he could not afford veterinary care; and to which another one replied; "Why? Is having pets only for the rich?", and to which the same person who previously commented snapped back, "It is not being rich, but being able to provide the pet a quality of life and immediate access to vet care!"

I did not join in their verbal assaults.
That is really unfair though. I remember when I was small my family used to feed the stray cats behind my house with canned sardines in tomato sauce mixed with rice. They cleaned the plate every time. Of course my parents had zero knowledge about pet care since we never had any. These cats even hang out inside my house. One of them even slept with me and none of these cats ever went to the vet for any kind of checkups or vaccination.

I never got infected with anything though.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't believe it is bad. Not every fish is the same so it begs the question, which one(s)? My cat gives a bad digestive reaction to some fish. No problem with some other fish. No appetite for some other fish.

I don't know about Fancy Feast but its sisters Gourmet Gold and Pro Plan canned foods all have fish in them in every flavor and they are very popular in Europe and around. Some possibly mostly fish. The same goes for quite a few other wet food. Like when they say "X brand Turkey flavor" and you look at the ingredients and it says "Meat and meat derivatives (14% turkey)" and you smell fish, turkey makes only 14% of the meat content. There is a good chance it's mostly fish.

Based on what I read, fish potentially might get bad but if you shop from known brands, the risk is probably not higher than getting bird flu from chicken or other potential health issues. Which is good news in most countries I can think of the only options are fishy food if a cat is intolerant/allergic to poultry.

Also "if they couldn't hunt, it's not a natural part of their diet, and if not a natural part of their diet it's bad" doesn't even really work here. Cats in Turkey, the Ottoman Empire let's say, have been receiving and stealing fish from the local fishermen for at least centuries now. And a lot of cats who are intolerant to poultry in the USA seem to do fine with venison which there is no way they could hunt themselves nor ever lived together originally.

Last edited:

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
I hear the "pets are only for the wealthy" comments a lot in my area, usually directed towards unsheltered people with dogs. I hope I don't come off that way to Asians, but I probably do.

:(

Most of what comes to my house via China Post is very creative, clever, and safe gear that has greatly enhanced Willow's quality of life. There isn't a great demand for safe, cute, well-made ferret and rat harnesses in my country because it is considered "fringe" to take cats on outdoor adventures, much less small pets.

I simply can't find bubble backpacks and walking jackets that are safe for kittens at Petco or my locally owned pet supply store.

I hope you are able to find an affordable source of non-fish protein for your kitties.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't believe it is bad. Not every fish is the same so it begs the question, which one(s)? My cat gives a bad digestive reaction to some fish. No problem with some other fish. No appetite for some other fish.

I don't know about Fancy Feast but its sisters Gourmet Gold and Pro Plan canned foods all have fish in them in every flavor and they are very popular in Europe and around. Some possibly mostly fish. The same goes for quite a few other wet food. Like when they say "X brand Turkey flavor" and you look at the ingredients and it says "Meat and meat derivatives (14% turkey)" and you smell fish, turkey makes only 14% of the meat content. There is a good chance it's mostly fish.

Based on what I read, fish potentially might get bad but if you shop from known brands, the risk is probably not higher than getting bird flu from chicken or other potential health issues. Which is good news in most countries I can think of the only options are fishy food if a cat is intolerant/allergic to poultry.

Also "if they couldn't hunt, it's not a natural part of their diet, and if not a natural part of their diet it's bad" doesn't even really work here. Cats in Turkey, the Ottoman Empire let's say, have been receiving and stealing fish from the local fishermen for at least centuries now. And a lot of cats who are intolerant to poultry in the USA seem to do fine with venison which there is no way they could hunt themselves nor ever lived together originally.
Yup. I’ve never seen cats wait around a chicken or beef seller at the market compared to the number of cats waiting for the fish seller to toss them some fish LOL If it’s not natural, then why do they like it?

I once bought a can of Avoderm Turkey...or something like that. It was pricey so I expected my cats to like it. Nope. Took one sniff and just walked away. I had to feed that premium food to strays before it went bad hours later.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve never seen cats wait around a chicken or beef seller at the market compared to the number of cats waiting for the fish seller to toss them some fish LOL If it’s not natural, then why do they like it?
You can see both in Turkey hehe

My Hima's favorite is still first chicken, then turkey :) Same with at least a few of the strays I take care of. Which is also why I disagree fish is addictive, like to all cats. They have their individual taste too.

P.S. Obviously it's nothing but a question but I also wouldn't outrule maybe genes play a factor in their diet just like humans' and cats in different parts of the world have some things more or less common in their digestion. Like how dairy or gluten intolerance among humans is far more common in some regions on the world map, even within the same race. The published data out there is often limited to America with cats.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can see both in Turkey hehe

My Hima's favorite is still first chicken, then turkey :) Same with at least a few of the strays I take care of. Which is also why I disagree fish is addictive, like to all cats. They have their individual taste too.

P.S. Obviously it's nothing but a question but I also wouldn't outrule maybe genes play a factor in their diet just like humans' and cats in different parts of the world have some things more or less common in their digestion. Like how dairy or gluten intolerance among humans is far more common in some regions on the world map, even within the same race. The published data out there is often limited to America with cats.
I saw this video before! Such an intelligent cat.

I agree on the gene thing too. Gluten intolerance is never heard of here because a majority of us eat gluten food as a staple. Stuff like rice & wheat flour is the most basic of all foods here. But lactose intolerance is getting more common with newborn babies lately. Maybe the developed a country becomes, the more antibiotics, disinfectants and chemicals are used in everything, causing more food allergies on humans and animals as a result. My dad would say stuff like “if you keep the child too clean, he’s going to get sick easily.” Hehe

Albus&minnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I notice most forums here discuss about feeding other meats aside from fish to cats. Is fish bad? Where I’m from, it’s normal to feed fish to cats. Even the cat foods sold here are mostly tuna, mackerel, salmon....mostly fish with only a small portion of chicken or turkey. Of course there are those premium brands with other meats which cost 3x more than the usual Fancy Feast or Monge bran

I don’t know anyone here who feeds their cats turkey or duck probably because it’s expensive. Sometimes I’d buy mackerel and boil them for my cats. They LOVE mackerel but i I have to pick out the bones for them. Meffy also likes fried chicken but Meimey will only eat the mackerel and no other human food.

So is fish bad?
My cat albus doesn't really like fish , i feed him turkey , chicken , beef and sometimes lamb cat food . ( wet and dry )
Minnie on the other hand loves fish , but i only feed it once or twice a week .