Is fish really bad?

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I notice most forums here discuss about feeding other meats aside from fish to cats. Is fish bad? Where I’m from, it’s normal to feed fish to cats. Even the cat foods sold here are mostly tuna, mackerel, salmon....mostly fish with only a small portion of chicken or turkey. Of course there are those premium brands with other meats which cost 3x more than the usual Fancy Feast or Monge bran

I don’t know anyone here who feeds their cats turkey or duck probably because it’s expensive. Sometimes I’d buy mackerel and boil them for my cats. They LOVE mackerel but i I have to pick out the bones for them. Meffy also likes fried chicken but Meimey will only eat the mackerel and no other human food.

So is fish bad?

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's bad. The only time it should be used is for emergencies; such as, your pet going off feed.
Cats shouldn't eat "human food" either. Cats need a nutritionally balanced diet of mammal meat; and the required minerals.
I’m from Asia. Seems like everything bad is from here. This article is biased and doesn’t seem fair IMO. It’s pretty much saying everyone in Asia is feeding ‘poison’ to their pets.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m from Asia. Seems like everything bad is from here. This article is biased and doesn’t seem fair IMO. It’s pretty much saying everyone in Asia is feeding ‘poison’ to their pets.
Don’t take it personally. People in America feed a lot of crap to their cats too. Fish is high in toxins and also a common allergen for cats. That’s why it shouldn’t be fed regularly. A little bit here and there is fine. Same thing as humans shouldn’t eat too much tuna.

Last edited:

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm from the great lakes area. We've had alerts for years to potential heavy metal content in fish caught in them, particularly the lower great lakes. Not that much comes from great lakes commercial fisheries anymore, but I don't want to take chances, so I don't eat that much fish any more, especially local stuff. I do the same for the cats.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
Fish is commonly included in cat food in my country as well. I have to pull out my reading glasses and look at the fine print whenever I buy prepared cat food and I usually buy training treats from the dog section. :(

But yes, it really is that bad. Cats are desert animals who did not evolve to eat fish. Fish, especially tuna, is deficient in vitamin D and other nutrients that kitties need. They are attracted to it the same way humans are attracted to crack, heroin, tobacco, caffeine, etc.

Other posters have already mentioned the modern environmental issues with fish.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's a generalization that must really grate on your nerves every time you log on. I may not have the time to research every single pet product, but i do know that people in Asian countries love their pets and provide me with affordable products, such as kitten-safe harnesses and carriers that may have been designed for rats, ferrets, and other pets that USAmericans routinely consider "disposable" or less worthy of care and attention than dogs and cats.

I'm very grateful to my eBay sellers for helping me give my Willow the best quality of life that I can.

/off topic rant

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
I have never heard that everything from Asia is bad. l have heard that people don't like ingredients in pet foods to come from China because of several health concerns with foods from China years ago. But, there are many pet foods here that are made, for example, in Thailand (Weruva, Tiki Cat) that people have mostly good things to say about.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats need a nutritionally balanced diet of mammal meat;
Not only mammal meat, birds are totally ok for cats. I have no nutritional knowledge about reptiles, amphibians or insects, but I’m guessing some of them could be a really good food source for cats :) In fact, I’m wondering why any manufacturers didn’t come up with the nutritionally complete insects canned food, they are high protein and cheap so I’m guessing it could be a good choice too :)
blumarine916 blumarine916 Even when you check out the selection of food in American and European supermarkets or big pet shops, my impression is that most of the cans have some fish. And many people on these continents feed fish only food. The fact it’s so common doesn’t mean it’s good for cats. Pet food manufacturers rarely want the best for cats, they mostly want to make money the easiest way.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not only mammal meat, birds are totally ok for cats. I have no nutritional knowledge about reptiles, amphibians or insects, but I’m guessing some of them could be a really good food source for cats :) In fact, I’m wondering why any manufacturers didn’t come up with the nutritionally complete insects canned food, they are high protein and cheap so I’m guessing it could be a good choice too :)
blumarine916 blumarine916 Even when you check out the selection of food in American and European supermarkets or big pet shops, my impression is that most of the cans have some fish. And many people on these continents feed fish only food. The fact it’s so common doesn’t mean it’s good for cats. Pet food manufacturers rarely want the best for cats, they mostly want to make money the easiest way.
I legit forgot birds aren't mammals. My braincells are dying I tell ya

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You asked, you got an answer. You may not like the answer; but that's the reality of asking questions.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm from the great lakes area. We've had alerts for years to potential heavy metal content in fish caught in them, particularly the lower great lakes. Not that much comes from great lakes commercial fisheries anymore, but I don't want to take chances, so I don't eat that much fish any more, especially local stuff. I do the same for the cats.
Same for me, I don't eat fish caught in the great lakes anymore. I used to go Walleye fishing in the St. Clair River with my Grandfather when he was still alive, but that was before the heavy metal problems.

Partly because most people would see that and go "Ew that's gross I'm not feeding it to my Cat", but it's also because the chitin in insect exoskeletons is not the best thing for them to eat.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are insect based pet foods, mainly in Europe. I posted a thread about that here:

Trying to convince pet owners to feed insect based foods to their pets is another story :rolleyes:

If raw is an option, there's a forum here on TCS with more info about that.

Last edited:

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Another issue with feeding fish is there had been a link between a fish based diet and hyperthyroidism in cats - I read this in Dr Hovfe’s book “What Cats Should Eat”

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Making raw and home cooked foods in Asia must be an option. I'm sure grocery stores and local butchers have plenty of meat and bones and organs and such available.
That really depends on which part of Asia you're in. In Japan pretty much all of the pet food, even the ones sold as beef or chicken, contain some fish. Meat isn't a big part of the Japanese diet. Supermarkets sell small cuts of very expensive pre-packed chicken, pork or beef, but it's very rare to see things like turkey or whole joints of meat for sale. A whole chicken would cost you around $50 - $60.

What's more all the supplements you'd need for making a raw diet would need to be imported, as would a commercial/ready made raw diet. It might be possible to feed one cat an imported commercial raw diet, but preparing your own raw food or feeding more than one cat a raw diet is a different matter.

blumarine916 blumarine916 are you feeding your cats Fancy Feast? It's not a bad food at all, if that's what you can afford and your cats like it then stick with that. A little bit of fish now and then as a treat, or to tempt them to eat when they're feeling unwell is OK.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I notice most forums here discuss about feeding other meats aside from fish to cats. Is fish bad? Where I’m from, it’s normal to feed fish to cats. Even the cat foods sold here are mostly tuna, mackerel, salmon....mostly fish with only a small portion of chicken or turkey. Of course there are those premium brands with other meats which cost 3x more than the usual Fancy Feast or Monge bran

I don’t know anyone here who feeds their cats turkey or duck probably because it’s expensive. Sometimes I’d buy mackerel and boil them for my cats. They LOVE mackerel but i I have to pick out the bones for them. Meffy also likes fried chicken but Meimey will only eat the mackerel and no other human food.

So is fish bad?
You mention Fancy Feast. Are the poultry flavors available in your country? Fancy Feast Classic pates are good food and the poultry flavors would allow you to avoid fish—hopefully affordably.

My reasons for avoiding fish come down to two related reasons:

1. Fish is addictive and it could be challenging or impossible to have a protein rotation if your cats are going to hold out for fish.
2. Because fish has such a high appeal, if it isn’t fed regularly, it can be a powerful tool in restarting a cat who stopped eating or a medicine meal. I have managed to get Krista to take a few courses of antibiotics by mixing them into a fish meal. Her love of fish exceeded her dislike of the medicine. This is only possible because she only ever gets fish in times like this.

The other reasons are just a basket of trade-offs I have made my peace with. Whether it is seafood or “land food”, there are environmental consequences to all mass-produced animal agriculture. It is the entry price of caring for an obligate carnivore. As for nutirional differences between the protein sources, at least in the US, the AAFCO statement regarding nutritional completeness is good enough for me. Whether it is chicken, turkey, rabbit, venison, or tuna, they all need to meet the same requirements to earn the nutritionally complete statement.

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feed mostly fish based foods. Why? Because that's all I could find that they will eat. I've tried literally every type of protein,chicken, duck, turkey, beef, rabbit, you name it, they snubbed it. If I was lucky I'd get a few licks of gravy. Then I tried tuna & sardines. They licked their plates clean. Actually ate the food. So, tuna based it is. Right now we are doing BFF's tuna & duck, which they may be getting tired of, because we just switched from Soulistic's tuna & Duck, because they weren't eating it as well. But most importantly, they are EATING. It is so important to get moisture in them, and this is how I can do it. Would I like them to eat pate' chicken or turkey? Absolutely. but they won't touch it.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are insect based pet foods, mainly in Europe. I posted a thread about that here:

Trying to convince pet owners to feed insect based foods to their pets is another story :rolleyes:

Making raw and home cooked foods in Asia must be an option. I'm sure grocery stores and local butchers have plenty of meat and bones and organs and such available.
Also this:

Crickets are a great source of taurine.