Is Anyone Getting That Icestorm?

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm freeeeeeeee!!! Finally, got the car out of the driveway. The cavalry came by and cleared a lot of the snow and ice out. Before I hurt my back I could anything my landlord asked to get a decent discount on my rent, now I can't do any of it.

Anyway, I'm free and hungry. I'm tired of eating the same stuff after being cooped up the last two days. KFC isn't as good as it used to be.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still fortunate to have electricity though a lot of areas don't. There are a couple of Kentucky counties that are almost 100% without power.

My sis and BIL got their vehicles cleaned off and took the 4WD to the store. Even if I got my van cleaned off, I could not go anywhere as they had to use the lower drive and it requires a 4WD at times like this. The main drive is blocked by limbs and BIL says from the looks of limbs still in the tree, he isn't touching any of them.

Generators have been very popular and the only ones left at one store are small ones. I even heard a guy drove a truckload from Mississippi(?) , parked in a lot and sold out. Even the local police were seen buying them.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
& now that we've had our 2 'bad weather' days [this past tuesday & wednesday], it's currently 62 degrees F.

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

Generators have been very popular and the only ones left at one store are small ones. I even heard a guy drove a truckload from Mississippi(?) , parked in a lot and sold out. Even the local police were seen buying them.
That's what happen to us after the large ice storm in the beginning of December. I work for an electrical supply company and we were swamped with phone calls for generators. Unfortunately we sold out. The few days after the storm was crazy. People were calling and coming in for all those things, and other items for generators such as transfer switches and plug ends and cord. We are just now getting caught up on the backorders from December. The company we get them from were all out completely.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yam102284

That's what happen to us after the large ice storm in the beginning of December. I work for an electrical supply company and we were swamped with phone calls for generators. Unfortunately we sold out. The few days after the storm was crazy. People were calling and coming in for all those things, and other items for generators such as transfer switches and plug ends and cord. We are just now getting caught up on the backorders from December. The company we get them from were all out completely.
We now know what you guys went through. Our area has had ice storms but not this bad or extensive. Electric crews have come in from Kansas and Michigan. Kudos to them all!

We had our own outage this afternoon. Luckily they were able to fix it and we only had to shiver about 4 hours.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I hope y'all are being cautious about purchasing generators from peeps in parking lots. After Hurricane Rita & Ike blew through and we were w/o power, we had a lot of scammers that sold cheap/refurbished ones that didn't work at all, or didn't work for very long. When they tried taking them back for a refund, the scammers had already blown town.
It takes a real
to take advantage of desperate peeps, but unfortunately, it does happen.

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

We now know what you guys went through. Our area has had ice storms but not this bad or extensive. Electric crews have come in from Kansas and Michigan. Kudos to them all!

We had our own outage this afternoon. Luckily they were able to fix it and we only had to shiver about 4 hours.
Yup, we had crews coming in from Canada and Maryland, and I think there might have been more from other states too, but I'm not sure. And still, reading the local paper online, you should've seen some of the comments people were making. They were yelling at the crews through the website and putting them down, saying they weren't working hard or fast enough, because some people were without power for a week or longer. Some of them were complaining because they had seen electric companies trucks at restaurants and were complaining because they weren't out doing their job and getting the power back on. I couldn't believe what these people were saying, when the crews are out there round the clock working to restore the power.

We were one of the lucky ones though, we never lost power. On my drive in the work the morning after it happened, I could tell where the hardest hit areas were. While I drove through Concord, it didn't look too bad, but as I drove into Manchester, I had to avoid trees that were on my side of the road, and at one point drive through a bunch of thin branches because I couldn't go around them.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yam102284

Yup, we had crews coming in from Canada and Maryland, and I think there might have been more from other states too, but I'm not sure. And still, reading the local paper online, you should've seen some of the comments people were making. They were yelling at the crews through the website and putting them down, saying they weren't working hard or fast enough, because some people were without power for a week or longer. Some of them were complaining because they had seen electric companies trucks at restaurants and were complaining because they weren't out doing their job and getting the power back on. I couldn't believe what these people were saying, when the crews are out there round the clock working to restore the power.
Yep, we have the same thing going on here.

There are a couple of Kentucky counties that are almost 100% powerless and are advising folks to pack up and head elsewhere for the duration.