Is Anyone Getting That Icestorm?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Holly Molly - I should taken the weather channel advice and not driven!
I had an appointment to get my taxes done at 10:30 am, and took me 30-35 mintues to drive 3.5 miles!!! Once I got in the FWY, I just wanted to cry - the road was SO slippery, that my car was dancing all over the place - I have very good tires, and there was no grip at all! Honestly I think I was driving at 4-5m/hr (car marked 0), and still had a lot of problems even to change the lane...
Of course I get there to a closed office - apparently they were not dumb as me to get into the car...
I am ok, no accidents, but no way I will drive again after an Ice storm! I thought snow was hard... Piece of cake compared to Ice!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like its supposed to hit NJ where I used to live.

Nothing ever happens here. Pfft. I want snow, ice, whatever. I miss all that. Except I'd be pretty upset if I lost power and started freezing inside!
I just watched the news story on it.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Uh-oh Laureen... Forth worth was a mess tonight... Do be careful, and drive Veeeerrryyyy slowly!
i got lucky - or the roads were really bad, 'cause they canceled it. school was also canceled so that's 2 days off in a row for me.

only 2 'bad weather' days are budgeted into the calendar. if we get anymore weather this year, we'll be going even later into june...

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not going anywhere tonight. My landlord should be up here tomorrow to take care of the driveway.

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been snowing all day, started around 5:30 a.m. I think now it's turned to sleet or freezing rain. We have a real good amount of snow right now, and the roads are horrible. Some are barely even plowed. It took me 1 1/2 hours to get home, when it should normally take 45-50 minutes. I skipped my lunch and left early, so I could have plenty of time to get home. I think it's supposed to stop later tonight. I hope the roads will be decent for tomorrow morning's commute.

I'm so ready for spring.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yam102284

It's been snowing all day, started around 5:30 a.m. I think now it's turned to sleet or freezing rain. We have a real good amount of snow right now, and the roads are horrible. Some are barely even plowed. It took me 1 1/2 hours to get home, when it should normally take 45-50 minutes. I skipped my lunch and left early, so I could have plenty of time to get home. I think it's supposed to stop later tonight. I hope the roads will be decent for tomorrow morning's commute.

I'm so ready for spring.
I was ready for Spring a couple of months ago.

They just announced that the National Guard is to start helping folks without electricity in the Evansville area get to shelters. The electric company says it could take a week to get all the electricity back on.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw footage on the news last night - they said 3 states had declared a state of emergency.

Please be careful everyone - it's supposed to be Summer here but I am rugged up in warm clothing and jackets!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

I thought snow was hard... Piece of cake compared to Ice!
Most truckers know that there are only two kinds of drivers who keep trying to drive on ice: Those who have just had an accident and haven't come to a stop yet, and those who are about to have an accident.

Ice is much more difficult than snow, and northern drivers are way over-represented in those who have accidents during the typical DFW ice storm. They think they know all about it, but usually, it's 31 degrees when we have ice here. Ice at that temp has a coefficient of friction approaching .000, whereas ice at -10 degrees has a COF of about .7 (COF of 1 is dry pavement).

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
driving on ice is a skill you have to learn. when i was about 18, we had a good ice storm. my dad took me out [we lived in the country] & taught me how to drive on ice - it was a good training ground, since there were bridges, hills & flat areas, all of which require different approaches.
i get so irritated, tho, when i'm behind someone who doesn't know how - slows waaaay down before going over the bridges or hills. i've passed people who were going too slow to crest a hill & ended up sliding back down.

rayjiano

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yea, it hit on the night that I needed to wake up early to be somewhere. I woke up to a car with about 3 mm of ice all over the vehicle. It took about 40 minutes of scrapping to get the ice off so I could drive without being pulled over

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No ice storm but stay safe for those involved in wicked winter weather

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We just finally got electrical power back about a hour ago. It was just rain till about midnight last night, but had been raining all day. Then it froze, the rain became freezing rain, and after all that, it turned to snow about dawn and snowed 2 inches on top of it.

It took me almost 2 hours to get home, only to get here and find the power off.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Skippymjp

We just finally got electrical power back about a hour ago. It was just rain till about midnight last night, but had been raining all day. Then it froze, the rain became freezing rain, and after all that, it turned to snow about dawn and snowed 2 inches on top of it.

It took me almost 2 hours to get home, only to get here and find the power off.
Was wondering how you were doing, Mike. Hopkins and Muhlenberg were really hit hard and I understand you are southeast of there.

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for sending the weather to us in the east.

It started snowing last night and snowed all day. Shortly after dark it turned to sleet then rain. It doesn't look like it doing anything right now but I have been told that is it supposed to turn back to snow over night.

I don't know much snow we actually got here. But I have friends who live in the norther half of the state and they got over a foot of snow today.

I took today off as a snow day. I have no problems driving in bad weather but avoid it if I can. These days the problem is walking.

In my decline walking on dry pavement can be a challenge. The city I live in is not very good at clearing sidewalks so I stay home if it's going to be bad out.

Another plus to staying home is my car being parked inside all day and not having to clean it off.

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This January is driving me crazy! Snowed yesterday, rained today, freezing again, now they speak of flooding here in WV.

There are constant snow days off from school. I am an in-home child caregiver, so I'll have my normal 3 toddlers, plus a sibling or two, plus MY THREE, and this house isn't big enough!

I have a somewhat winter-inexperienced 16-year-old driver in the house and I feel sick every time he gets in his car.

Finally, this ice/snow mess has passed - sorry New Englanders!

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

Was wondering how you were doing, Mike. Hopkins and Muhlenberg were really hit hard and I understand you are southeast of there.
From the looks of the weather maps, we only got the southeastern edge of the thing. I feel sorry for the folks caught in the middle of it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by threecatowner

I have a somewhat winter-inexperienced 16-year-old driver in the house and I feel sick every time he gets in his car.
I can relate to your anguish.
I just about went crazy when my son was first learning how to drive, and he faced his first winter.
He had an after-school job, and worked till 10-12 at night sometimes. I could not get to sleep till I heard him come home. I was working 2 jobs at the time, from 7 in the morning till 10-11 at night. I was always tired b/c I got very little sleep b/c I couldn't sleep till I knew he was home safe & sound.

Driving on ice is the worst!
I'd rather face a raging blizzard than an ice storm any ole day. You can at least get traction in the snow. What used to irk me were the drivers who had 4-wheel drive, and thought that they could still go faster than they should, just b/c they had the 4-wheel drive.

I feel for y'all.
I have not forgotten how horrid an ice storm is.

Stay safe, everyone!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by threecatowner

This January is driving me crazy! Snowed yesterday, rained today, freezing again, now they speak of flooding here in WV.
you? just last week, we had 70+ degree temps here - then 2 'snow' days this week.