Ipod Jack (Hyundai versus Apple)

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I've been using an Apple iPod jack in the Tucson ever since we got the Tucson and it's worked perfectly. I couldn't use the music controls on my steering wheel with the Apple jack, but that was minor to me. I had music using my iPod and that was all I cared about. 

Got back from Vermont, had the car detailed and got it back. Drove home from work Tuesday night and everything was fine. Wednesday morning I started into work and couldn't use the dashboard controls to navigate the iPod. Then....silence. No music. What the......? I can't do much of anything without music. And I've been using a CD that was in my car for music; it's an old Dire Straits CD and I really like Dire Straits. But goshdarnit, I have no idea what the heck happened to the iPod jack.

I sat out in my car the other night for a good hour, trying to figure out what the heck happened. And couldn't figure it out.

So when all else fails, read the manual. And that's what I did. Only to find out that you're not supposed to use the Apple iPod jack in the Hyundai. What the....
? It won't work. Ever. Incompatibility issues. Only it has worked for four years. Same old Apple jack. Same old Tucson. The thing worked. 

Called down to Ford/Hyundai for a Hyundai iPod jack. $50. What the 
? Seriously?? Oh, I don't think so.

Amazon Prime. $15.00 and change (including the $3.99 for overnight delivery). It was delivered to work this morning. Took it out to the car, plugged it in and I have
from my iPod again. 

I have no idea what happened. But sometimes even a blind squirrel finds an acorn.  

Last edited:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Isn't that ridiculous? I wonder if this was Apple's idea or Hyundai's?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Just an update.....the Hyundai jack worked for a day, then that quit, too. I had gone down to the garage on Columbus Day while I was off work to see if they could figure it out. Well, it turns out that the part that the Ipod connects to on the dashboard of the car is bad. They told me they could order the part and that since it was still under warranty, it wouldn't cost me to have it repaired. Meanwhile, we were able to finangle things around a bit and we got it working....as long as I use the Apple jack, it's fine (if I use the Hyundai jack, it doesn't work anymore.....go figure, because the Hyundai manual specifically says not to use the Apple jack). If the connector is unplugged from the car and plugged back in, then it's a real hassle trying to get it to work again.

The garage called me yesterday to tell me that the part came in, but they were wrong in telling me that it was still under warranty; it is not. The part will cost me $30 and $70 labor for installation. 
 But since they originally told me that it was under warranty, they're willing to give me a 10% discount on the part....a whole $3 off. I'm not doing it. I told her to forget it. I'm simply not going there. I am not spending $100 for something like that.

As long as the iPod connector stays connected to the car, it works fine. I told Rick that he is not allowed to even touch the connector 
 and that no way can he unplug it to charge his phone or anything. We'll see how long it lasts. I just thought it was ridiculous to spend that amount of money for something like that. 

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
And another update.....the garage called me again. It seems that since they originally told me that the part and labor were still under warranty, they're going to stick by that. They are willing to replace the part for free and call it a warranty repair. The guy is going to call me back later on this week and we'll set up a day to take the car down to the garage.  

I'm grateful that they're willing to go the extra mile for me. I really do appreciate it. 

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Thanks! Yes, it is. They did call me back and I am to take the car to the garage on Monday after work. It's going to be inspected, too, while it's down there. We'll pick it up on Tuesday after we vote.

Last edited: