Introduction Trouble, Adopted Stray with Major Play Aggression Toward Other Cats

catastrophe4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took in a stray (vets says he's around 3 and likely was not outside for more than a couple weeks) at the end of January and am hoping to make him a part of our family, we already have 3 cats (a 5 yr old female, 9 yr old female & 9yr old male). I've been trying to do the intro by the book; he has his own room, I've done scent swapping, site swapping, bought 3 baby gates so I could stack them (he's climber) and allow the resident cats to safely check him out. I also have the Feliway diffuser and spray. My other cats actually seem fine with him when I allow them together (with play and treats) but all he wants to do is pounce on 2 of them immediately which makes them run off. He goes straight for a tackle and bites the backs of their necks. My 5yr old female now slinks around him but will sit in the same room without hissing. The male sometimes stands his ground briefly then runs after hissing (not in a come chase me way but trying to make a getaway). It does just seem like play to me, the newbie will flop on the floor in front of the male inviting play, when that doesn't happen he pounces as the other walks away. Distracting him with a toy doesn't work nor does attempting to tire him out with play before the meeting. I praise him when he does play appropriately and try to break up the over aggressive play by making a noise or using a water bottle (he hasn't seen me use it). The noise method bothers me because it freaks the other cat out too and I'm worried about creating even more of a negative association.

I'm not sure how to progress. I'm hopeful because he was attacking hands nonstop but that has gotten much better by just not allowing it. If he tries it I stop petting or walk away after a firm no and praise him when he calmly accepts petting. He just wants to play nonstop with anything and everything. I mean he is pent up in a room half the day and all night so who can blame him. He does get 2-3 20 minute (at least) play sessions daily in an attempt to tire him out but it hasn't happened yet.

I realize it could take much longer than the 7 weeks I've been at it so far but I'm worrying that I've hit a plateau and it won't get better. I will re-home him if it's the right thing to do but obviously I'm committed to making this work. I guess I'm wondering if at some point I do just need to let them hash it out themselves, maybe he'll calm if he's out of his room, or should i continue taking it slow?

Any advice or similar success stories would be helpful. Thanks.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
One quick question because I didn't see it in your post: is he neutered?

If not, that would very likely help, especially since it sounds like he's asserting dominance over the others. I agree with avoiding the noise or water - the last thing you want is for your older cats to start associating the new-comer with a startling noise. You mention being able to redirect his play aggression with your hand. What do you do there to distract him? I'm just wondering if some part of that might be able to translate into helping him see what appropriate play with other cats is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catastrophe4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yep, he's neutered, had the vet verify.

When I mentioned my hands I meant  that he used to play just as aggressively with me but just telling him no and disengaging and offering a toy or leaving the room is teaching him that I'm not a toy. That aspect of his play aggression has gotten about 50% better. It's a tougher lesson to teach when it's another cat he's after as his play prey.

Thank you for responding.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Hmmm...yeah. Unfortunately we can't just explain to the other cats to disengage. It would make things so much easier if we could.

It sounds like he has an exceptionally strong prey/hunt drive or that he just never learned to play "politely" as a kitten. I'm wondering if it might be worth trying to find him a toy at absolutely fascinates him and might be able to re-direct him...we have one cat who is absolutely obsessed with wine corks. It doesn't matter what he's doing, he'll stop dead if you bounce a wine cork off the floor.

Maybe, since he seems to enjoy his pouncing so much, one of those furry mice that moves on its own?

It's not quite the same situation as yours, but there's an interesting discussion on cats playing aggressively in this thread. I'll link to it in case any of it sounds like it might fit your situation.

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/315290/anyone-ever-seen-this-kind-of-aggression 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catastrophe4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I forgot about those little mice, I bet he'll go nuts for those. I'll give the wine cork a shot too since I always seem to have one around. The link was helpful as well, as I forgot about the whole hierarchy thing.

I suppose I'll just keep at it slow and steady, trying to distract the new hellion and giving him timeouts when he needs them. I mean it works for my 3 yr old. lol

Thanks again MS. Freya.