satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

Do you put Holly everywhere for Yule?
Mistletoe?
Have you ever heard of the Yule Cat?
This is really helping me get into the spirit of things! I'm a very traditional person (if's it's done twice, it's "tradition"), so it's been hard for me to celebrate with no previously delinated tradition.

I'm definately going to stay away from Holly - it turns out that it is - gasp - FLYPAPER FOR FARIES! I'm thinking of putting up fairy decorations instead to show that ours is a fairy-friendly home.

Mistletoe is similarly used as a protective from fairy mischief, but is also a symbol of maternal love (one theory on the origin of the kiss) and also a symbol of peace.

The Yule Cat is a pretty neat tradition (the lazy are the legitimate prey of this gargantuan cat). I'm thinking of warping it into more of a St. Lucy tradition in our house and naming one of our cats the "Yule Cat" for this year's celebrations (changing yearly).

And I'm definately making a Yule log cake this year!

Now, I just have to find some not quite Christmas carols.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by Satai

Why do you not voluntarily go to Cork?

I'm from Kerry. We don't like Cork.
My husband's Irish coworker is from Cork (That's where the wedding was that we went to) and he feels the same way about Kerry!

Which Irish tourist attractions would you recommend? They don't have to be the ones close to you.

Have you enjoyed your week in the spotlight?

Have you selected the next "victim" ?

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband's Irish coworker is from Cork (That's where the wedding was that we went to) and he feels the same way about Kerry!

Of course he does! Otherwise, what would be the point?

Which Irish tourist attractions would you recommend? They don't have to be the ones close to you.

Close to me:
Bunratty castle and village (Shannon), The Hunt Musuem (Limerick City), visits to Adare and Killaloe (two very beautiful towns near Limerick). And UL (University of Limerick) of course. It's not a tourist attraction, but it should be!

Further away:
A trip to Galway city (small, but a real jewel); for the history and architure buffs, a tour of Dublins government buildings - some of them are truly extraodinary buildings (the bottom floor of the White House in Washington DC was inspired by Leinster House, now the seat of the Oireachtas (Irish parliment)). The national museums are amazing - and free!

Tralee - a beautiful old town and great shopping city. Killarney - especially Muckross House.

Have you enjoyed your week in the spotlight?
I've loved it!

Have you selected the next "victim" ?
I think so... but I perfer the term "successor".