Introducing New Kittens To 16 Yr Old Cat

josiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi y'all-

My friend got two kittens from another friend (her cat had a litter) and now she doesn't want them. She was going to take them to a shelter until I intervened and accepted the two kittens. They will be 10 and 11 weeks old when I pick them up and they are both calicos, meaning they are female. I have had cats all my life and have raised them from kittens to senior and elderly. I simply couldn't let her take them to a shelter and possibly being euthanized.

My issue is I have an elderly, 16 yr old male cat. His siblings have since passed (the last one passed away almost 2 years ago at 17 yrs.) He is a very gentle cat, was never the alpha male, and has never displayed aggression to any other cat growing up. He doesn't even play bite, that's how sweet he is. He is healthy, only has mild arthritis.

Am I doing the right thing by taking in these two kittens? I live alone, am a pet sitter, and am not gone for long periods of time that a regular 8 hour job would be and would be able to check on them often during the day.

I haven't had a kitten for 16 years and am worried about my cat getting along with the kittens. I would love to hear some stories of similar experiences or any other expert advice of introducing them properly. I know I need to separate them and let them sniff through closed door. I know what I'm "supposed to do". I just want to know what everyone else did and how it worked out.

The kittens have had their vaccinations/fecal exams already. I will need to get them fixed soon. I have bought a cat condo, tall cat tree, and numerous toys for them to keep them busy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

josiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The new kittens and my old boy...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens are precious, and your old guy looks like a sweetie!

Play it by ear with introductions. Your guy may turn out to really enjoy the new kittens, and if not, they will have each other!

I’ve always had cats too, and when a newbie showed up, some of my cats acted terribly insulted and hissed, and others took the new kitten in easily and acted motherly.

It should be interesting! :)

josiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you. They are healthy kittens and get along with other cats, too. I really hope my old boy takes to them well. I want him to be happy the remaining years of his life.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Taking in two kittens should help a great deal! They will entertain each other and hopefully give your boy some peace.

josiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I haven't taken them home yet. I am a pet sitter and have a very busy schedule until August. I pick them up August 8th.

I was hoping some members on here had an old cat that was introduced to kittens and could tell me how they got along.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I did a couple TCS thread discussion searches and didn't really come up with anything other than sometimes the older cat purely loves the kittens, and sometimes the older cat is actually scared of the little fluffballs.

With that, I think you'll just need to trust your resident boy and let him tell you what he thinks. In addition, I think that if you're calm and serene while everything is going on, and since he's already predisposed to be a gentle soul, hopefully harmony will prevail.
I'm certainly keeping my fingers crossed for you-all!!

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I adopted a very under socialized kitten in 2006. My two male brother were around 11 years old when I adopted her. Starbuck had no concept of kitty manners when she was a baby. The first time she had access to them she puffed up and hissed at Claude. She then proceeded to swat him. Claude actually ran away from her when she did this. Tegato hissed back at her and then just sat there and looked at her until she stopped hissing. He then started grooming her. She also had no idea how to ask them to play. She would ask Tegato to play by chomping on his head. She was not hurting him but he did put a stop to it pretty quickly by pinning her down with is paw until she calmed down. Once she calmed down he would play with her. He taught her manners and then Claude bonded with her fine. Tegato took on the mother role and real taught her how to interact. It is possible that your 16 year old will accept the kittens.

You kind of have to keep an eye on the interactions at first. Also make sure the kitten get alone play time with you to expend their energy. I did quite a bit of playtime with wand toys to wear Starbuck out. Tegato really taught her boundaries though,

josiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear it worked out for you and encouraged to know they can all get along!

The kittens have been socialized well and also get along with dogs. Since I'm taking both they will have each other to play with. I'm not so much concerned with them as I am with my old boy, Noah. The articles I read say it's not a good idea to get kittens when you have an old cat. Of course, that makes me paranoid, lol. I love Noah to death and certainly don't want him stressed out or unhappy.

I bought a tall cat tree, several cat huts and beds, toys, and am looking into a cat window perch. Hopefully, along with my playing with them, this will keep them busy and happy enough to leave Noah alone.

BTW...The top kitten photo is Trixie (dark calico) and the second photo is Sophie. My old boy is Noah. :-)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 'old' cats are usually back paddling when we bring youngsters home, but kittens are usually much more readily accepted that older cats. It's very good you have two kittens, they will explore and play with each other and give your old boy some peace. He will act put out at first, after all, cats hate change. But the distractions and ever changing interest they will provide him will actually keep him younger. From my experience he will teach them manners, so don't interfere with him pinning them down or swatting/hissing at them, that is perfectly normal and in fact needed.As long as there are no deep bites or blood, he is doing what older cats do, and is most likely enjoying his new role. it will take a while, but in 6 months everyone will have formed a family unit and be fine. Give your older boy some extra attention and treats, he may be stressed a little at first, after all teenagers have invaded his home, but eventually it will make him young again and you may be surprised to see him playing with them!

josiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 'old' cats are usually back paddling when we bring youngsters home, but kittens are usually much more readily accepted that older cats. It's very good you have two kittens, they will explore and play with each other and give your old boy some peace. He will act put out at first, after all, cats hate change. But the distractions and ever changing interest they will provide him will actually keep him younger. From my experience he will teach them manners, so don't interfere with him pinning them down or swatting/hissing at them, that is perfectly normal and in fact needed.As long as there are no deep bites or blood, he is doing what older cats do, and is most likely enjoying his new role. it will take a while, but in 6 months everyone will have formed a family unit and be fine. Give your older boy some extra attention and treats, he may be stressed a little at first, after all teenagers have invaded his home, but eventually it will make him young again and you may be surprised to see him playing with them!
That is why I am taking the kittens. Noah can still feel like the man of the family. Thank you for your insight.