introducing male kitty to my beautiful but antisocial 6yr old female..help!

mizzmagoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a beautiful spayed 6yr old female cat. Probably a little young to be away from mum when I got her, she was a bday present. She has BN spoilt n treated well and gives me heaps of happiness. She does have her moments, I would dearly love to bring an abandoned male kitten into the home, currently at my mums, only 4 weeks old, and taking antibiotics etc for sniffly nose, sneezing. She has taken him to vets and a future looks promising, is unable to keep him. Any ideas for integration? Need them both to be happy!and would love my antisocial, loving girl yo have a friend. Help?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a beautiful spayed 6yr old female cat. Probably a little young to be away from mum when I got her, she was a bday present. She has BN spoilt n treated well and gives me heaps of happiness. She does have her moments, I would dearly love to bring an abandoned male kitten into the home, currently at my mums, only 4 weeks old, and taking antibiotics etc for sniffly nose, sneezing. She has taken him to vets and a future looks promising, is unable to keep him. Any ideas for integration? Need them both to be happy!and would love my antisocial, loving girl yo have a friend. Help?
It is quite possible to introduce cats to one another.  It just takes some time.  First off the new kitty will need to have a room of his own.  Some place where your resident cat will not be able to get close.  A spare room or bathroom will work.  You need to keep them separated until the kitty is a bit bigger as well as healthier.  In time, the kitty will need to be neutered.  So to start find a place to keep the kitten that will be safe.  You want to block of under beds ( or lay the bed flat on the floor) and block behind all furniture.  Kittens are so small and can squeeze themselves into the tiniest places.  So before you bring this kitten, do lots of prep work.  Also be sure to have the cat vet checked again before starting introductions.

Here are some articles and a video on cat to cat introductions.  You will need to wait a bit to do the intros until the kitten is a bit older and healthier, but this will give you time to prepare.

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/the-ultimate-yet-simplified-guide-to-introducing-cats

http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com/a-simple-little-trick-to-use-during-new-cat-introductions/

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/cat-behavior/introducing-your-cat-new-cat

http://jacksongalaxy.com/2010/10/01/cat-to-cat-introductions/

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Also be aware that the two cats may have very, very different energy levels. I am adopting an eight month old cat (rescued from under a car at age 6 months), who is full of energy and curiosity (climbs DOORS). She loves to play; my resident cat Ritz is six years older, doesn't like to play, and never has liked to play even as a kitten. Dahalia is very very slowly aware that Ritz doesn't consider chases or footsies, 'play'.
This is not to discourage you--just engage in lots of play time with the new kitten. (Initially, you should not try to play with both cats at once, it's a territorial issue.)
Good luck; hang in there. Successful integration takes reasonable expectations, time and patience.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mizzmagoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is quite possible to introduce cats to one another.  It just takes some time.  First off the new kitty will need to have a room of his own.  Some place where your resident cat will not be able to get close.  A spare room or bathroom will work.  You need to keep them separated until the kitty is a bit bigger as well as healthier.  In time, the kitty will need to be neutered.  So to start find a place to keep the kitten that will be safe.  You want to block of under beds ( or lay the bed flat on the floor) and block behind all furniture.  Kittens are so small and can squeeze themselves into the tiniest places.  So before you bring this kitten, do lots of prep work.  Also be sure to have the cat vet checked again before starting introductions.

Here are some articles and a video on cat to cat introductions.  You will need to wait a bit to do the intros until the kitten is a bit older and healthier, but this will give you time to prepare.
Hi again, I have been giving this a LOT of thought and SO appreciate all the great advice. Was a bit worried too much detail would be boring, but never is for catlovers. Myself included. Any way, bit more about my resident cat, she came to me 6wks (I think!) of age. Very cute, very playful, very feisty too. Vet put his roselover gloves on to handle her at 12wks age. She has BN spayed and vaccinated. She is SO NOT a friendly cat to ANybody but me. Hisses at visitors, sits on sills and only comfortable outside when I am out there too. I think this may be because as a young spayed cat we were in an apartment complex, guy under me got cat, never fixed and next thing half a dozen young toms roaming around, and more every six months or so..Ever since then she has been very wary of everything and everybody including cats. I would love her to have feline friends and be confident going outside, she lovely and complicated, hence my hesitation bringing kitten in...last thing I want to do is stress either of them out! Poor wee fella had a rough start already. Given this info what is your opinion

Last edited by a moderator:

mizzmagoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, sorry, but am just learning how to communicate on this site. Your advice was fantastic, thankyou! And really made me think..i think at this point in my girls life two kittens maybe better than one. Magoo, my girl, is a one woman cat, hisses at all visitors and only goes outside when I out with her. Never has messed up with litter box. Has a tendency to put me in my place! Never hurts me, gives a gentle tapor a half hearted bite or places her paw on top of my hand and pushes down, do you think she thinks she's my mother? Always flicks tail, even when purring..waits patiently whilst I in bathroom, like she is guarding me.

mizzmagoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And dribbles n kneads like mad. Wherever I sleep she sleeps too, not a set place, 2 bedrooms all my own plus very comfy foldout in lounge. Depends on mood and temp where I choose. She always picks same. I have one very bad habit tho, she is a grey and white moggie, her white parts...(tummy, paws,chest) are SOSO soft n fluffy n thick..i cant resist patting that beautiful softness (any idea what breed that soft soft thick coat comes from?)but obviously that annoys magoo! Not right spots for her I think [emoji]128522[/emoji]

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really don't know about getting two kittens instead of one.  It really could double your trouble.  You never know if the kittens will bond with each other or try to bond with your resident kitty.  Those are things you can't control.   You also do not want the both of them ganging up on your sweet kitty.  I would think about it for a bit.  Sometimes cats will encourage the more shy cat to come out of its shell.  It's just that you have no way of knowing what will happen.

Just be sure to do your homework and have a safe room for the kitten or kittens.  Also be sure to the intros very very very slowly.  Most of us rush the process and then we have to back track.  Look into a few feliway diffusers too.  Also be sure the room the kitten (s) will be in in kitten proofed.  All beds picked up or flat on the floor, block off behind heavy furniture and be sure the room is safe.  You might want to get on the floor at kitten level and look for small places to crawl into. 

mizzmagoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, I really hoping for some insight into my cat behaviour and whether is fair on both my cat and gorgeous (rough start in life kitten)to try integrate kitten into my home.
I have had my cat for 6 years, got her at 6 wks of age, a little young I know, she was a bday gift and I was very happy to have her. I got her spayed and vaccinated etc at 12weeks,and have taken very very good care of her, I love my girl. I was living in apartment block for first four.5 yrs of her life, unfortunately guy in apartment beneath me got female cat, refused to get her fixed and next thing young toms roaming around, litter after litter, magoo changed around that time. Very fearful, insecure and antisocial. Will venture outside now, but only when I accompany her. And we have now moved into our own little space [emoji]128522[/emoji] really safe..after a LOT of thought, I am trying to integrate 6wk old male kitty into home, I know too young but my mum rescued him at 3wks, was sick and hungry no mum cat in sight. My hopes for Magoo to have a feline friend and for liddle Macgyver to have a mum/protector figure in his life.
Day one, he in his own space, magoo bit hissy and sitting in cubby holes...very curious but incredibly defensive behaviour. Is a 6wk male kitty a potential threat? Help! Worried for them both.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's natural for Magoo to feel initially a little threatened by Macgyver's arrival. Cat to cat introductions take time and patience (and by time, I mean weeks or months).

For now, Macgyver should have his own 'safe room' - somewhere set up with everything he needs. This room is just for him, and should be where he lives for now. Magoo has the rest of the house. Once Macgyver is settled, you can start on introductions. At first, these are scent alone - using scent cloths to allow each cat get to know the other's scent. Once BOTH cats are relaxed about each other's scents, you can start feeding on either side of Macgyver's door. Using these feedings, you slowly increase the cats' exposure to each other. When they can happily eat close together on either side of a screen they're ready to start face to face interactions.

These articles explain the process in detail, and how to help a new cat get settled. Interactive play will be really important for both cats during this process too, so the play articles are well worth a look.[article="32680"][/article][article="29726"][/article][article="32804"][/article][article="0"][/article][article="0"][/article][article="22328"][/article]

mizzmagoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, thankyou for advice, I have read and viewed all info on cat introductions and am following the guidelines so far, I know is very early days, kitten is doing great, using litter box, eating and drinking plenty of food, buzzes every time I go in room. I always give magoo a big stroke before I go in, and he gets a little growly, sniffs at my hand, fights it but still purrs, I do the same with magoo when I come out, armed with treats. She has a few before she hisses, at which point I calmly walk away. Let her do her thing. I bought one of his blankees home a week before he actually arrived, Magoo was REALLY curious to start, also seemed very concerned, was licking it etc, I rewarded her and praised her, but after a day she seemed unintersted and left it alone. Was that a mistake?

mizzmagoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update on cat situation, new kitty settled in really well, we on day two, he confident, absolutely barmy, very friendly gentle nature, bit clownish..Magoo is showing a lot of interest, and sits quietly outside door when I go in there. Do you think introduction advice should be rigidly adhered to? I get feeling if I stop interfering they will sort it out? He gotta be far too small to be a threat to her at 6wks, that will change very quickly tho! I will be getting him fixed at 12 wks, so important they both secure and safe....as a P.S. Magoo has been responding beautifully to taped kitty meow noises over last few weeks, she gets all worried, makes soothing noises, and gently searches for baby. Not done since he actually here tho.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Update on cat situation, new kitty settled in really well, we on day two, he confident, absolutely barmy, very friendly gentle nature, bit clownish..Magoo is showing a lot of interest, and sits quietly outside door when I go in there. Do you think introduction advice should be rigidly adhered to? I get feeling if I stop interfering they will sort it out? He gotta be far too small to be a threat to her at 6wks, that will change very quickly tho! I will be getting him fixed at 12 wks, so important they both secure and safe....as a P.S. Magoo has been responding beautifully to taped kitty meow noises over last few weeks, she gets all worried, makes soothing noises, and gently searches for baby. Not done since he actually here tho.
Do not rush the process.  First off the kitten is tiny and your resident cat could harm him.  You certainly don't want them sort it out when the kitten is so young.  Please follow the steps in the video I posted.  You want to see how the cats respond when they eat near each other. The steps outlined in the video are meant to take weeks not just a day or two.  If you rush the process, the kitten could end up injured.  Your resident cat needs time to adjust so try to follow the steps.  If you follow all the steps and you do not see any growling, hissing, posturing, chasing, etc.. then you can move forward.  Right now you should just be doing scent swapping and possible site swapping ( remove kitten from his room and allow resident cat to come in and sniff around). 

mizzmagoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
[emoji]128522[/emoji] thankyou for that,I will be patient. Smiles, have been encouraging magoo with treats when she shows an interest and gets close to kitty room, she is such a fearful cat, I have never seen her fight but she certainly does the posturing and hissing. I always wonder if the toms harrassing her when she was young spayed adolescent have something to do with her fear?

mizzmagoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so worried about magoo, more in regard to her instant fear reaction to other cats than anything else! Ever since her teens... Please can I have some response to questions I have asked regarding her behaviour issues? And how it might affect this integration..I am doing by book and have read all info, magoo not quite the usual cat tho.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Which behaviour issues haven't been answered @mizzmagoo ?

It's probably best to just mention them here as there's been a lot of merging of the threads.

mizzmagoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Why is she so fearful of everything and everyone bar me? Could it have something to do with countless young toms around when she was adolescent? Even tho she was spayed. When visitors come she vanishes, and hisses or does a low growl and then vanishes, soon as they leave she out running around again, as for other cats, she just doesn't make friends, was an old cat next door, and he would just come within 2-3mtrs, lay down, always she does that low growl and fluffs up. 2 yrs we been here now.. She is honestly a one woman cat, which I think is a little unusual. I sometimes get impression she thinks she is my mother, and gives me a good swipe every now and then, often I get no warning, she still purring when she does it. For these reasons and others, I haven't even considered getting another cat prior to this. Reason am trying now, is she BN happy and settled, magyver a rescue, mum found him 3wks of age. He BN vet and now has clean bill of health, also magoo was responding really sweetly to taped kitten noises, thought may be an indicator she still retain a few maternal instincts?

mizzmagoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, as far integration goes, Magoo is getting more vicious by the day! She is getting plenty of attention, loads of food, I spend minimal time with kitty, but every time I leave room and approach magoo, hisses and swipes are result. I have treats but really am reluctant to give her when she is displaying this behaviour. I am actually starting to feel a little wary of her. I know she can be playful and affectionate, but this side of her nature quite distressing. LOTS of low growling as well.

mizzmagoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awww, and now magoo is under my blankets, snuggled up to my legs, licking my toes and buzzing away, confused! Only coz I know that can change in an instant for no apparent reason. Even before kitty, is what she does.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Are you using the slow introduction process?  Patience really is the key.

mizzmagoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am, I even started before kitten arrived, bought a blankee in and left in lounge for Magoo, she was so cute to start licked and fussed over it, after a day she lost interest. She is a routine cat, and always has 3 bowls of food in her eating place, I feel that change to that routine quite likely to impede progress rather than help. So my alternative as she gets close to kitty room and shows interest, I give her a little line of treats that gradually get closer to door. She doesn't always finish it but so long as she not growls or hiss i tell her how clever and fantastic she is, and devote time yo her. Just seems, if anything her attitude getting worse?