Introducing Bowie

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there welcome along to TCS! What a sad start for Bowie but wow look at him now

Congrats on rehoming both the kittens together :D

wily1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awww  another story with a happy ending!

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I swore to my husband I'd part with them - since I kept the last 3 we fostered (not counting Pip/Izze/Buffer - the three ferals pictured here that we socialized and found homes for - as many of you followed along through my very emotional process!). I do indeed love Scoot and Cooper (and can't you tell my husband could care less? KIDDING!)...but I know I have to do it if I want to foster again - and I know our area desperately needs foster homes. I will say I do dread sending them to the shetler - they want them back at 8 weeks - I'm going to hold them till 10 weeks if at all possible as there's tons of sickness running through that shelter here. Anyone think I'm crazy? I know the littler and cuter the better chance of adoption - I just want them healthy!
You can't send them back. They're too wonderful and they'd be split up. Look how happy they are together. ?:'(

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No one ever tried to find Bowie. It was sad. But he's settled in now-quirks and all (he jumps at everything, runs from any little noise, hides under the bed at the slightest little sound outside....but he goes from that to complete "goopieness"
so I'm pretty sure he's as happy as can be! And in happy happy news -his two newest foster brothers cooper & Scoot just found a home together today!!!!!! Which will make Bowie much happier-he liked being the baby!!! Glad he's got people here who appreciate his funky markings, amd quirky twitchy bunny nose
Little worried faces.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It breaks my heart every time and every time I swear  I can't do it again. And then I get a call about a sad case like Bowie in such a desperate, cruel situation. Or Cooper and Scoot so tiny and unable to survive without someone to take them in, and it starts all over again. So far out of the over 100 we've done, we've never had to take a single one (knock on wood) back to a shelter - I've found forever homes for all myself. Although, as I run out of "cat friends" it's getting harder! So I do foster less than I used to - I'm trying right now to help a local shelter in a slightly different way - by updating their Petfinder.com info so that more people see the kitties they have in-house and can get them adopted faster. But even going into the shelter is hard 0 seeing things like a 12-year-old long haired tortie who'd been dumped there in the prime of her life, just to sit in a cage for perhaps the rest of it. Makes me so sad - I tried to give her extra pets tonight.

I will say one thing - the "regular fur babies" at our house are going to be THRILLED to see Cooper and Scoot gone!!!! Bowie hisses like there's no tomorrow at both of them when they try to play (ever so gently) with him. He's really surprised us in how un-accepting he is! Alley- our 18 year old, tolerates them quite nicely. They're supposed to be going to their new home next week - together - yeah!!!!! Cross your fingers it goes through - - they're resting up in hopes it does!  Funny - the picture in the earlier post is SO "them" - Scoot (the all buff.orange) is always "on go" - just like he looks in the picture "what about me mom ? What can I do to get into trouble? Anyone see a mouse I can chase." WHile Cooper just hangs, quietly, in the back, watching his big brother bounce around the room while he settles into a little ball and observes. Cracked me up that they actually "looked like their personalities" in that photo a few posts back!

So Bowie is counting the days till the two furry beings that plague him are gone. My husband and I however are not. They will be missed horribly. Bowie will have to go back to watching the ferals in the backyard (but that's a story for another day).

And if anyone's got a technique for fostering without that "say goodbye" heartbreak (particularly when it means saying goodbye to them going to a cage at a shelter - I'd appreciate any advice!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
And BTW - went to visit Pip and Izze (2 of the last 3 fosters from the summer - that started out feral) again - and they're absolutely thriving!!! THeir mom was telling me that Izze loves her so much that she takes flying leaps from halfway across the room into her arms when she wants to be held! Which, as she noted, can be a little alarming if you're not ready for that from what's rapidly becoming a 8 pound kitten versus the 4 pound kitten she took home from our house!  (this is an old shot of Izze when she was still at our house). Her adopter says that these once painfully shy and feral kittens now come out and mingle happily with visitors after only a minute or two o checking them out from a nearby bedroom doorway. I told her I wish OUR cats were all that "guest friendly"! Guess I did something right twice!

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are all gorgeous. I wouldn't expect too much from bowie yet. Remember he's been locked up in that cage for goodness knows how long.