Integrating Stray With 3 Resident Furbabies

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
About Daisy, did you try a gently transitioned food change?
Or some toppers, I don't think that's been discussed in this thread yet;
  • boiled unseasoned chicken or turkey,
  • sardines,
  • tuna,
  • tuna juice from the tuna can,
  • canned kitten food,
  • kitten replacement milk powder or liquid as an add-in,
  • bonito flakes,
  • heating the wet food slightly,
  • parmeson or shredded cheddar cheese,
  • fortiflora
  • mackerel
There are also commercial toppers,
Applaws is a brand that can work well as a topper,
you could crumble her kibble or a favorite treat onto the wet food,
Tiki Cat has a mousse topper, etc.

Transitioning Your Cat From Kibble To A New Type Of Food (canned, Raw, Or Homemade)

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear about your friend's kitty. *hugs* to you all.

We initially tried feeding Gohan in Olive's safe room (he acts like there is an invisible shield at the doorway and won't go in). He would approach the food but wouldn't even take a bite. Eventually we decided he was too nervous. Since he is new to wet food, any small distraction will cause him to stop eating and walk away.

As the integration has gotten better, he's been getting closer and closer to the room and now we can feed them inside the room within 2 feet of each other. Gohan's personality is one where he will take an extremely long amount of time to get accustomed to anything (I know all cats do, but he is an outlier. flies die of old age on the wall before he decides to strike). Forcing him to come any closer would mean he wouldn't eat, and it would cause him to be more uncomfortable. For us, him voluntarily coming up to the area and taking any bites of food near her was a huge win.

Daisy will usually go back on her own but it takes her a bit... and she doesn't finish. So I do not now what to think of that, really.
As long as they are eating (even if it seems they aren't getting any "integration" progress) they are still getting more accustomed to each other, and are having something good associated with it.
Stay the course, it sounds like you are doing great! When I get worried that my life will be segmented forever, I remember how far they have come so far. It may be a marathon, but there are cuddles at the end!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chicy724

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
4/25/18: All kitties ate dinner well enough.. Hubby decided to feed the Resident Three from Fluffy's side of the gate. Daisy was right there next to him just about head-to-head. Fluffy touched Daisy's head because he was trying to get a treat on her side.. :lol:
Daisy did hiss a little but nothing too dramatic.

We let Fluffy out in the main part of the house, kept Daisy in his room while I hung out and ready a book. She sniffed a bunch but then came up on my lap and took a nap.

This morning before breakfast, Milo was right outside Fluffy's door while Fluffy was scratching and meowing for food. Note: We are definitely going to have to replace the carpet at the doorway. Fluffy is slowly wearing it away despite my crazy attempts to cover it. :headshake: Oh well.

This morning was basically the same as usual mornings.. all ate pretty well except Lilly. We have to bring her to the bowl, or pull hers back a bunch. Daisy walks away but then comes back - but she always does this anyhow, so again, it's hard to tell if it's because of Fluffy or not.

I do feel like things are getting a little less tense, but there is still a lot of work to do. I keep asking myself if I feel like they're less tense because that's what I want to believe! And there has been no face-to-face interactions except with the very few with the treats, and the gate is right between them, though.

Only time will tell.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Daisy was right there next to him just about head-to-head. Fluffy touched Daisy's head because he was trying to get a treat on her side.. :lol:
Daisy did hiss a little but nothing too dramatic.
This sounds to me like things are definitely progressing - good for you, and thanks so much for the update!

CheetahLover5859

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How lovely you are to have taken in Fluffy, is that handsome tabby in the pic the gentleman in the story?
I was brought up with 'farm cats', outside feral/semi-feral ones as well as 'house-cats' & have had cats all my adult life, preferring to take in cats from 'bad homes' or 'feral cat' societies/rescue homes/charities (a house without a cat is not a home lol). I prefer feral cats as they are often the most difficult to house & I don't expect anything from them other than be themselves, natural cats. I hope then, that you realise I know where you are coming from.
Both your female cats are middle-aged, on the cusp of the 'elderly' fringe. Your cat Milo, a presumably neutered Tom (which will have taken away his 'Tom' instincts about territory/defence) is approaching early middle age. You now have a boisterous youngster, an adolescent, who in a feral cat colony would be constantly trying it on with his peers & older Toms to test his masculinity. Toms, left un-neuterd don't fully mature physically until about 2 or 3 yrs old; the age at which Fluffy is, is the age at which he would be honing his fighting skills ready to defend territory & compete for females in the wild.
He hasn't long been neutered, but this won't take all of that behaviour away, he remains a male youngster with a lot of energy & he needs to get rid of it some way.
You mention you live in a house, do you have a garden also where the cats can go outside, can Fluffy find other males/younger cats? The reasons that things change with your established cats when Fluffy is done eating is that they are afraid of what he is going to do next, like jump on them. If you don't have this, he is going to remain at this stage for at least 2-4 yrs; please don't bath him, he will hate it, it isn't necessary & will make him afraid of you. Maybe the best you can do is provide Fluffy with another male Kitty his own age? That really is my best take from over 40 yrs of experience with cats, most of them strays or rescues.
The reason he used to try to 'jump' Tommy outside your office was, again, normal young 'challenging' Tom behaviour. Tommy wasn't fazed by it because he was a 'full' Tom, uninterested in 'young Pretenders', Fluffy was far too young to be a serious threat to him. Tomcats also tend to congregate with each other in colonies, albeit at a little 'distance'.
Recognising normal cat behaviour, rather than humanising them helps, I hope this helps your little family anyhow. Good luck...

chicy724

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
C CheetahLover5859 Thank you so much for that information. It's very helpful and makes so much sense.

Hopefully they can figure it out and it turns out okay. I'm not comfortable having my Milo be scared all the time.

Last night Milo was within a few feet of the gate and Fluffmaster was there. Fluffmaster jumped at Milo, into the gate. :(

Milo has never been Mister Dominant. We got him as a tiny, adorable kitten and he was raised with the two girls, starting from about have their age as they are now. He certainly surprised us with his super-grumbles when Fluffy first stared him down! But he never jumped back at Fluffmaster, he ran away.

We will just have to keep trying and hopefully fluffFluffm grows out of that quicker than 3-4 years because I certainly cannot put my other furbabies into a constant scared state for that long. Especially not my older girls. :(

chicy724

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oops I forgot to add, C CheetahLover5859 , we do have a backyard but our kitties are strictly indoors and I won't allow them outdoors. I would also prefer Fluffmaster be indoors, too. I can't have one indoor/outdoor and 3 indoor only.. it just wouldn't work. Daisy, who was a Maine barn kitten lived outdoors for all of 8 weeks of her kitten life and to this day she attempts to sneak out, but she's perfectly happy indoors and has always been an indoor kitty aside from her first weeks. Our neighborhood already had so many stray/outdoor cats that roam in our yard.
Plus, it was recommended to me that after we had Fluffmaster inside for a few weeks, we should not return him outdoors because now he's used to the AC and we live in a hot and humid climate. Plus my heart wouldn't want to return him outdoors anyhow. He's done fine indoors, he just needs to be integrated with the rest of the family.

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
the kitty in my profile picture is a cat we did this with earlier this year. we found him as a stray on our doorstep basically we finally captured him in early dec. he had to be neutered and we needed to keep him separate from the others until he was integrated with US first. so we had him in a spare bedroom in the basement for about three months. no contact with the other cats other than he could hear them and they could hear him. every now and again our youngest would go down and check out the door of hte room he was in. when did the switching of sleeping materials for smells and did hte baby gate thing. after a couple days the tension was so high. everyone really wanted to meet each other. we left the bottom gate in place and let cats jump it if they felt safe doing so. the youngest did and came in to say hi. we never had any altercations at all. Dante kinda went for tibby but it was a play gesture. everyone was nervous about it but it was ok. our eldest had a few hisses for him but it was ok. now it's five months in and we get this

that took awhile and my integration one is of weird harmony. it isn't normally so smooth going (but we REALLY took our time introducing them and I think curiousity got the better of them over fear and trepidation of each other)

normally a little fur will fly.. and that's ok. it's the cat world. it's a bit easy to put our own expectations on things. it WILL be fine. you just have to give it time.

chicy724

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In general, the intergrations are the same. We let Fluffy out so they can see him plenty through the gate. The girls are still weird about eating sometimes. Daisy was watching him from top of the cat tower this afternoon, and hubby said she meowed back at Fluffy.

Fluffy has still been "jumping at" them from time-to-time, at the gate, when they're on the opposite side.

We currently have an issue with Daisy trying to get up on top of the cabinets. While this isn't a major issue; our concern is that she will hurt herself getting up or down, and also scratch the cabinets up.

She gets up by going on the counter, to the fridge and up. Except today she was found on the other side of the cabinets and we have no idea how she could have gotten up there. When she got up on the fridge side, I'd see her eyeballing the other side across the way.. but I figured there was no way she could jump across because the ceiling is right there. Not sure if she became ninja-cat and made it happen or climbed somehow.

We thought about getting a motion sensor spray for each side of the cabinets. Thoughts on this, or other suggestions?

Any thoughts on keeping her off?

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
my philosophy is work with the cats. generally in my experience you can't tell a cat not to do what it wants to do. it will just do it while you're not looking. the solution is to find something similar for the cat so it can do what it wants to do but not in the totally undesired way. is there a safe high place in your house you can give her access to by some sort of safe launch pad for her?

also we've incorporated the corporal cuddles from this video. we think it's better than spray bottles most of the time. lol (seriously)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm of course not sure of your cabinet arrangement, but I'm trying to figure out how you'd set up the ms spray so that it doesn't surprise her mid-jump or something like that...
Can you set up a physical barrier, on the top of the frig to keep her off the frig, as it sounds like that's her starting point?

chicy724

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We've tried adding things to the top of the fridge. She still managed. I stuffed the top with all the fake plants in the house.

She gets on the counter, up to the fridge then up on the cabinet. I think we could put the spray on the counter and it'd get her when gets up on the counter.

She also goes into the cabinet under our sink which has some weird cutout and she gets between the cabinets! And not inside the cabinets. I mean between where the cabinets join, and goes into the void. Who knows what's under there.

She's a ninja!

P.S. I can edit now!

chicy724

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Daisy decided to visit Fluffy.
Hubby started giving treats after a few.

They were so close together. Fluffy seemed fine, and got to a point where he laid down. They we're within inches getting treats.. and to the point Daisy put her head through the rings or the gate.

Then they kind of sat there for a bit, quiet. Then he lunged and swatted at her through the gate. He didn't growl or hiss. He was doing so well. He tried doing it more than once, too. :(

Daisy just took a step back, then hissed and had a low growl after he was done.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yay for editing!
Hmmm, I like your idea of the spray on the counter.
Daisy in queen mode, fluffy being normal, this will happen.

chicy724

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Now Fluffy is a ninja.

He found a way to climb the gates. Oy.