Injury to thumb claw

Valerian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had an introduction session with my 2 cats and they were tussling and chasing and climbing up the cat tree.

This was their "play session"

I don't know what caused it or when it happened, but I just noticed one of my cats had a bloody thumb claw. He is also licking the claw :(
20230518_193350.jpg
20230518_193344.jpg
20230518_192927.jpg

I just saw when he was licking his claw, I'm not sure but I dont think its fully attached anymore 😱😱😱😭😭😭 it looked like it was a bit sideways....
The vet is already closed....should I take him to emergency vet or can I take him tomorrow? Poor baby he mist be in pain :(((

What should I do?

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, is he still licking it? Is he limping or acting like it's painful? Can you touch it? I'm not a vet but I'm thinking if he'll let you touch it and isn't limping or visibly ouchy, you can possibly wait until tomorrow. On the other hand, thinking of the bacteria load that it will be exposed to when he uses his litterbox, it might put him at risk if you wait :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Valerian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I called the vet. In the meantime I noticed his claw isn't there anymore so he mist have pulled it/licked it away while I didn't see :(

The vet said it's best if he could wear a collar but I don't have it.

We're taking him to the vet tomorrow. They said they will have to shave the fur around and he will have to get antibiotics :( my poor baby :(((

He isn't limping and is jumping around but does "mrrr" a lot. Not sure if that's from pain or it's just him being vocal (I don't know him that well yet and he's still adapting to us also so is changing his attitude/ character a bit while opening up to us)

I'll post an update tomorrow.

I didnt touch the claw a lot , just to take a picture because I knew it must hurt him, so I left him alone and just observed him..

I'm searching the room to try and find the claw but so far not successful..

Edit: just managed to get 2 pics....claw definitely gone..
20230518_201449.jpg
20230518_201447.jpg
20230518_201443.jpg

:((((((

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
wow, he did quite a job on that, poor guy! I've read that sometimes taking a paper plate, cutting an x out of the center and putting that on can work to keep them from licking. Sending lots of love :vibes::redheartpump::crossfingers::redheartpump:

Valerian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
wow, he did quite a job on that, poor guy! I've read that sometimes taking a paper plate, cutting an x out of the center and putting that on can work to keep them from licking. Sending lots of love :vibes::redheartpump::crossfingers::redheartpump:
Lol, that's a great thought, but playful as he is and crazy about paper I think it would just drive him nuts..and i dont want him being clumsy because of the collar and maybe hurting himself even more...
Im taking him to te vet straight thing in the morning at 7:30..so in 11 hours from now. I think he'll be ok in terms of infection until then..

I found a right side of the shell of the claw - maybe that was all that was left before he licked it off :(
20230518_201950.jpg

Poor sweety :(.... he's not licking it anymore and looks like he's about to take a nap..
...claws do grow back eventually, right? He will grow his claw back?

Valerian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just noticed as he stretched and made a fist with his paws, there is still a claw there..or part of ot.. probably the other half.....
I hope they wont have to remove it tomorrow 🥺

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I dunno, I think it might be like hair follicles or something, where if the damage is too deep/too much it might not. But, hopefully he'll be fine :heartshape:

Valerian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It was such q busy day yesterday, I didn't have energy to post an update, but here it is :)

Vet checked his paw an and prescribed him iodine 3x/day for 2 days on his injured claw. Plus he has to wear a cone so that he doesn't lick his paw and get bacteria in. The wound must be kept dry.
IMG_20230520_113322_334.jpg

So we take off his cone so he can eat and when we let him out of the basecamp to interact with our resident cat a bit (as long as he fels comfortable).
So he gets iodine 2 more times today and I'll keep the cone on for overnight and then the wound should be dry enough for him not to want to lick it anymore :) hopefully

The vet said the claw will grow back with time :)