Injured kitty in Raleigh, NC needs adoption or foster

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

david68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update:

The kitty is recovering in the downstairs bathroom, and she seems to be doing fine. She's on antibiotics and pain medications. Although he said it was a reasonable gamble to try to save the leg, the vet ultimately decided that the only thing to do was to amputate. He said he could have repaired the bone fracture, but the damage that didn't show up on x-rays to the surrounding muscles and other soft tissues from the bullet was just too severe. He didn't think that she would ever regain proper control of the leg, and even if it were possible, it would require subjecting her to multiple expensive surgeries. On the positive side, though the damage was severe, it was highly localized, so she is otherwise healthy and unharmed, unlike what you might see in something like being hit by a car. She also tests FIV/FeLV negative, and I have an adopter lined up. She's been very compliant through all this and is a real trooper.

I created a social media crowdsourcing fundraiser, and though I haven't yet met the total cost, it will help. I don't know if it's appropriate to post those here.

In terms of my comments about people in the country and guns, I'm sorry if I caused offense. I'm as Southern as anyone, and my family has owned the property these cats live on since the 1830s. Ever since the 1970s, we've had ongoing trouble there with rampant theft, vandalism, illegal dumping, and trespassing. We're pretty sure that people use one isolated corner of the property for drug deals. They're shot surveillance cameras we've put up, and when we try to put locks on things, they cut the locks off. It's turned into a bad area of our county, close to an urban center, but a completely different world. There are plenty of good, decent people who live in the country, but there are also too many of those who are a lot more 'feral' than any of these cats we rescue--for whom "fun" seems to consists of shooting or destroying anything that crosses their paths. I don't know that the blanket term is for people like that, but we've got a bunch of them in this area.

That said, I know many of the adjacent property owners and have alerted them to what happened, and they are pretty angry about it since many of them have pets, too. They are on the lookout for whoever did this.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you for the update. So glad to hear the kitty is doing well and has a home lined up.

I think it would be okay if you shared your fundraising link with us.

So sorry to hear there are people who act like heathens on your property, and have no respect for what does not belong to them, and even less respect for defenseless animals.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am glad she is doing well after her surgery. I know it was hard to make the decision for amputate the leg but it will be better for her in the long run than having surgeries.

I know you were concerned about the health and wellbeing for your rescue when you posted and I will also apologize if my remarks offended anyone. I have lived in an area where we had those same problems with people so I understand having to deal with them.

I agree with @sarthur2  about them acting like heathens. I'm not sure if there are any correct terms to describe people like that and it hurts the whole area when those types have no consideration for anyone or anything.

I hope your little girl will heal soon and enjoy her forever home with her new family. I would also like to know the fundraising link you have started. I hope it will be alright with the moderators if you can post it on here, if not, please send it to me in a private message.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I created a social media crowdsourcing fundraiser, and though I haven't yet met the total cost, it will help. I don't know if it's appropriate to post those here.

---------------------------------------------------------------

In terms of my comments about people in the country and guns, I'm sorry if I caused offense. I'm as Southern as anyone, and my family has owned the property these cats live on since the 1830s. Ever since the 1970s, we've had ongoing trouble there with rampant theft, vandalism, illegal dumping, and trespassing. W.
First off, I am beyond relieved to hear that the kitty is recovering from her amputation. In the long run, I do believe this was the best option rather than trying to save the leg with multiple future surgeries. You have a good vet! All cats do extremely well after an amputation, surprisingly well. :nod: Mega vibes continuing to flow for her full recovery. AND :woohoo: that you have an adopter all lined up. What a beautiful life she will now lead. Thanks to you for that. :grphug:

Second - no need to apologize and we completely understand your being very leery of the area you live in as it sounds like you have to deal with many vandals and I, for one, understand your being emotional over this cat shooting.

Thirdly - certainly post the link to your fundraiser page. People do that all the time here in the SOS Forum. After you post it - we will apply a canned reply post for member's to give/donate at their own discretion.

Last edited:

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending good vibes to kitty. Multiple surgeries would not have been in her best interest.

Very sorry you are having issues with certain people. I won't say where I live, but oh yea, the quote about feral, druggie scumbags hit home. That type is how and why I have my cat. No cat needs subjected to feral humans.

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just adopted a 3 legged cat in my home who also lost her to leg to a gunshot.  She's amazing!  They do adapt and you wonder at their resilience. She'll be fine and so glad she's, with your help, found a forever home.