Injured feral - treat or PTS?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Just seeing him looking healthier and not limping anymore must be a huge weight off your mind. It took me a couple of years to get one of the feral toms I fed indoors. He would let me pet him, so I was able to get him neutered and make sure he got whatever vet care he needed. I just couldn't convince him that coming indoors was best.

Don't give up, you've done a great job with him so far. At least he's getting fed and has someone to watch out for him.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aww, he's right at your door, bless his heart.

Does he come to eat every day now?

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh dear, found this, read all the way through.... Any update?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tinyshelper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh dear, found this, read all the way through.... Any update?
I havent caught him, but he still visits. In have 3 cats of my own, plus one that I'm long time caring for, and they get supervised outside time in the evening. As soon as we get outside Dodger comes to lurk. He stays a safe distance from me, but he likes the company of the cats and will skirt up to them for head bonks and make little mewing noises at them.

He's been a little more skittish around me lately, the last month at least, and will leave if I make noise or get too close so I'm trying to just let him be for now.

It's been really hot the last two weeks so he's shed out all of his long hair, plus all that oil is finally gone. Since his hair is short now I can tell that's he nice and filled in. I can't see any ribs and he might even be considered a little chubby.

I ended up losing the new job so I'm home every evening like normal so he still gets his regular feeding time.

I think I'm going to just let him be for the summer. Maybe in the fall I'll try trapping him again so he won't have to deal with the rain and cold. He seems to be holding up well as he can be.

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is wonderful that he gets along so well with your kitties, so often it doesn't work that way. :) Sure would love to see a new pic, he sounds so much better!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tinyshelper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So another update. No photo unfortunately. But, so im downstairs, the door is open to the back like normal. Doggy door is open. The food station out back has been filled, etc. I'm watching tv when I see movement from the corner of my eye and Dodger is inside, coming back to the door from wherever in the house he was apparently exploring? He stops when I turn to look at him, makes a quiet meow, and saunters out through the doggy door. Soo, i guess thats a good sign. We'll see what happens next. I wish I could have trapped him inside.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even if you don't catch him, he has been neutered and received medical treatment and is eating well. Many adult ferals never adjust to indoor only life and do well being cared for outdoors. If he is willing to come inside when the weather is bad, perhaps you can compromise with him and allow him to be an indoor/outdoor cat. Once he knows that you'll allow him back outside when he wants to go, he'll feel more comfortable coming inside. I know it's easier for our stress level to keep out cars indoors, but we also have to take iinto consideration their stress levels and desires to live their lives how they wish. He's lucky to have you as his caregiver. Let us know how things are going :)